Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change Petrol Filter, 1999 Avensis 1.8 7A-Fe

Avenadj

I would appreciate advice to change the bulkhead located petrol filter.

The system will be pressurised. Is it usual to say undue the metal nut on the inlet pipe to the metal canister carefully and drain to a container below? OR, I thought of running the engine and then withdrawing the petrol pump fuse for fuel starvation --- this item may be in the fuse box by the Battery, but which one?

I have purchased a new filter. The outlet is a plain tube. The right angled plastic connector of the pipe to the inlet manifold has four flats, two of which are buttons, which can be depressed. I have not previously dealt with this type of connector and do not want to damage it. Depress both buttons together and unscrew anticlockwise simply with finger pressure? OR surely it is not a garden hose connector type of depress and pull?

I would appreciate advice to change the bulkhead located petrol filter.

The system will be pressurised. Is it usual to say undue the metal nut on the inlet pipe to the metal canister carefully and drain to a container below? OR, I thought of running the engine and then withdrawing the petrol pump fuse for fuel starvation --- this item may be in the fuse box by the battery, but which one?

I have purchased a new filter. The outlet is a plain tube. The right angled plastic connector of the pipe to the inlet manifold has four flats, two of which are buttons, which can be depressed. I have not previously dealt with this type of connector and do not want to damage it. Depress both buttons together and unscrew anticlockwise simply with finger pressure? OR surely it is not a garden hose connector type of depress and pull?

This type of oonnector is common on Toyota fuel lines. The two buttons are depressed and the pipe pulls out. I recommend disconnecting the earth terminal on the Battery and covering the joint with plastic bags, there will be a lot of fuel coming out of there. May be better done outdoors.

Fitter.

Whoooaaaa!!!

The filter does not sound like the one for the 7AFE.

First thing I'd suggest is buying the Haynes manual for the car.

My 1998 7AFE has a fuel filter metal cylinder attached to the bulk head. The top is a banjo bolt with the bottom a tube going in to the centre of the filter.

It sounds to me like you have the filter for the 1.8 VVTI which is not the same at all having a plastic clip arrangement (I've got one of them now too :) ).

They are not interchangeable.

Removing fuel lines without depressurising the system will probably spray fuel everywhere and it is not something I would recommend. Haynes manual suggests disconnecting the wires to the fuel pump (under the rear seat) and running the car till it stalls , try it a couple of times till you are sure it will not run. Remove the filler cap too.

If you are planning on doing any more work then get the haynes manual first. They aren't perfect but they do explain all you need by the sound of it.

When you get the right filter make sure you line the hole in the filter with the hole in the banjo bolt too or you'll have "issues".

Petrol spraying out anywhere at pressure is a major fire risk so please be careful.

I have purchased a new filter. The outlet is a plain tube. The right angled plastic connector of the pipe to the inlet manifold has four flats, two of which are buttons, which can be depressed.

Hi,

Well its worth taking a much closer look at your existing filter, mine is a March 2000 7AFE and according to the suppliers books should use the earlier style filter as mentioned by Peter, but it in fact uses the later, more expensive vvti type, with the push on outlet.

Several ways of depressurising the system are mentioned, providing you release the connectors slowly I have never had any problems, though you will get a lot of petrol running out of the filter so after releasing the top hose, seal that end to help stop it running out of the bottom pipe.

Thanks for the help guys. I’ve just successfully done the job using a combination of all the tips.

My Avensis is late 1999 registered and is fitted with the later type of push-on outlet to the petrol filter. I bought the new Crosland filter from my local accessory shop at a cost of £27. It is noteworthy here that I also bought a petrol filter for a Fiesta for £8………..does much the same job, has simple push fit tube at both ends and Ford recommend changing every 75K.

To help anyone else reading this item, here are my comments:-

Did the work outdoors, engine cold, Battery negative lead off and plastic wrapped (my radio does not need a re-set code, no lasting effect on electronics in general), fuel tank filler cap off to release tank pressure. Freed right angled plastic top union from clip. Depressed both buttons and pulled. No result. Applied heavy equal pressure to the buttons and eased the union squarely upward. Union came away very easily. Partially replaced it to stem the modest, non-alarming, petrol flow, which quickly ceased.

Tried several open ended spanners on the bottom nut. The nearest I have is 14mm and a slightly slack fit (perhaps these tube nuts are a special size). Had to use a steel tube over the end of this 10 x 14mm spanner to crack it off, bracing against a second spanner on the captive filter nut. Risky, re damaging the flats/crushing this hollow nut and having to resort to Mole grips/being in deep do-do. It really would have been better to buy a slotted type ring spanner; but buying a special tool simply to fit an item which I thought to be already comparatively expensive, gave me an attack of the Scrouges. Little petrol in evidence, having previously sealed the filter’s outlet.

Fitted the new unit, allowing the filter to float freely in its captive circlip until the bottom nut was tight.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links