Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Avensis -Should We Buy

rowchris

Hi

We bought an X reg Avensis a year ago and it has been jinxed - within a week a warning light came on, we replaced the leads to the cat, yes leads because the one lead was replaced and they did the wrong one, then did the right one and wow few days later light back on. Finally told that we should just ignore the light as it was problem of sludge somewhere that would cost loads to fix and was not important. Story does not end there - we then heard a funny noise - and this time it was the Gearbox bearings that had gone - so we had the gearbox sorted - more money. Finally the car is now burning oil 1.5 litres in a couple of days so guess that is the end of this Avensis - would try a recon engine if we didn't still have the stupid warning light on guess the only place is the scrap yard.

Anyway we now have the chance to buy a 2005 Avensis - still with the VVti engine but we know we can get the block problem sorted under warranty - however we can hear a slight noise when we depress the accelerator, it goes once we put our foot down harder but is just there at slight depression. Now what scares us is we are thinking of spending a lot more that we ever have and worry that the 2005 models are also duds. We were told by a Toyota fitter that all the 2005 Avensis have this odd sound - can anyone on the forum confirm this??

We have two growing children and just love the legroom the Avensis gives - anyone know of any cars with the same legroom??

Know it is a lot of questions here but would appreciate anyones comments about if the noise is normal or are we being taken for a ride again??

Thanks

rowchris

Well, if it sounds a little 'plastic'...ish, rather than engine metal. I would suggest its the same as mine and is some sort of air intake vibrating....Not a problem. But heck, dont just go my thoughts. Actually, when the car is really warm, say, after 20 mile drive etc, the sound is not there or a lot less noticeable.