Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Sat Nav

stompe

Hi guys,

Had a free update on my T-Spirit Sat Nav as it was out of date when I bought the car and really disappointed with it. I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to firstly update the volume for the Sat Nav but more importantly tried to enter the postcode for an address and it did not show. Then tried to put in the address, still no show. On arrival at the said destination the Sat Nav showed there was no such place to my estimation it has been there at least two years. I hope Toyota read this and drop Navtec as a mapping system for their vehicles. It is just not acceptable we pay a premium for the T-spirit with inbuilt Sat Nav when you can buy a £400 Tom Tom that will do a far better job and if that is not enough it has still not been announced how much the hard drive update will cost. I think Toyota are losing the plot, and in the same vain the gracenote (which was also updated) is not picking up CDs which are at least 9 months old.

Rant Over!! Stompe :ffs:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stompe

• Doesn'tExist

• Seamaster73

• Jan&tone

rather upsetting news i am getting a prius as my new taxi and i rely on the satnav a lot when out of town... don't sound very good.

i can see my self getting a tom tom if this is the case:(.

rather upsetting news i am getting a prius as my new taxi and i rely on the satnav a lot when out of town... don't sound very good.

Hi mate

get the T4 and a Tom-Tom, or have a word with Grumpy Cabbie

Hi mate

Hi I commented a few days ago about the sat nav currently being supplied with new vehicles..(my spirit only 3 weeks old) has current version of data but it has numerous mistakes with pronunciation of Cities and Towns, matter referred to Toyota who are referring it to manufacturer however no update is expected until 2011.

Get the T4 and a Tom-Tom

That's exactly what I intend to do.

Toyota's satnav system is years behind my 740 LIVE in terms of features, and is laughably overpriced as an optional extra.

Hi mate

Hi I commented a few days ago about the sat nav currently being supplied with new vehicles..(my spirit only 3 weeks old) has current version of data but it has numerous mistakes with pronunciation of Cities and Towns, matter referred to Toyota who are referring it to manufacturer however no update is expected until 2011.

Hi ya Bob

yes i did see your post and it alarmed me! and made me check mine, i think its something to do with the hard drive, i never had no problem with the old dvd system, think navteq should be answerable to these complaints!! :censor:

lol bit late to get a t4 now only 36 days until my t Spirit gets here. not to worry i don't use the sat nav that much only when they send me out of town....

but been reading about the Toyota satnav.alot of people don't seem happy.... shocking really to say toyota are like one of the leading car manufactures.

but... did have a built in savnav on my last skoda and that was totally unusable.

lol bit late to get a t4 now only 36 days until my t Spirit gets here. not to worry i don't use the sat nav that much only when they send me out of town....

but been reading about the Toyota satnav.alot of people don't seem happy.... shocking really to say toyota are like one of the leading car manufactures.

but... did have a built in savnav on my last skoda and that was totally unusable.

OK, the TomTom route finding is a bit better. However, the Gen III satnav really isn't that bad. Biggest problem is rumoured Toyota profiteering with updates on the back of a monopoly position (although as yet they don't seem to have a clue about how it works or what it costs :clown:. So just rumours so far.)

OK, the TomTom route finding is a bit better. However, the Gen III satnav really isn't that bad. Biggest problem is rumoured Toyota profiteering with updates on the back of a monopoly position (although as yet they don't seem to have a clue about how it works or what it costs :clown:. So just rumours so far.)

Hiya Ancient

Sorry Mate I don't think a database that's 2 years out of date is acceptable, if your paying £170 pound per year for updates,(which I was with the generation 2) I expect an up to date mapping system. Nav tec must be laughing their socks off :lol: Stompe

Hi guys,

170 pa????

My gen2 satnav was bang up to date when I got the car and I was told a few years ago that Mr T only does DVD updates every 2 years so if you only keep the vehicle for 3 years there seems to be little point in paying out for the update.

Second point for those recommending tom-tom instead of fitted systems... Tomtom may well be more up to date (via a pc) but the fitted systems cannot finish up at a boot sale via a !Removed! that needs a quick fix

I've had a fitted satnav since my 02 avensis and never had any problems with them.

Second point for those recommending tom-tom instead of fitted systems... Tomtom may well be more up to date (via a pc) but the fitted systems cannot finish up at a boot sale via a !Removed! that needs a quick fix

Neither can a Tomtom unless you're daft enough to leave it in the car, of course.

It's amusing that those who buy what is one of the most advanced cars in the world will settle for a satnav system five years behind the market, just because it's "fitted". Sure, it's nice to have an integrated system. I've paid all the money for them in the past. But I won't be doing so again until such systems catch-up and offer HD Traffic, Google Search, regular map updates etc etc.

Biggest problem is rumoured Toyota profiteering with updates on the back of a monopoly position (although as yet they don't seem to have a clue about how it works or what it costs :clown:. So just rumours so far.)

The problem is a spcific piece of equipment is required to do the job and no dealer has it, only a handful of TGB aftersales reps have it. When the dealers do get it, it will no doubt be another piece of kit costing several thousands of pounds. Our hand held testers and licencing of such costs an absolute fortune, it's not some two bob fleabay kit.

I think the situation should have been sorted long ago, every time I'm asked for an update disc I cringe at the price, but dont blame your dealer, he doesnt set the price!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Are you sure they are for a Gen3 HDD SatNav ;-)

Biggest problem is rumoured Toyota profiteering with updates on the back of a monopoly position (although as yet they don't seem to have a clue about how it works or what it costs :clown:. So just rumours so far.)

The problem is a spcific piece of equipment is required to do the job and no dealer has it, only a handful of TGB aftersales reps have it. When the dealers do get it, it will no doubt be another piece of kit costing several thousands of pounds. Our hand held testers and licencing of such costs an absolute fortune, it's not some two bob fleabay kit.

I think the situation should have been sorted long ago, every time I'm asked for an update disc I cringe at the price, but dont blame your dealer, he doesnt set the price!

This is definitely one where Toyota carry the can. I suspect the price will be sufficiently silly that I won't have the update. And then Toyota will say there's no demand. And make the price even higher...

Basically a combination of greed and poor design.

Hi guys, update to the sat nav saga....Toyota have requested that I record the mispronounced words on the sat nav when travelling on a journey, have recorded the Wednesbury junction of the M6 which tells you ext motorway in direction of WEDNESDAY...there are others which I will hope to video in due course.......surely I am not the only one with this fault on the HDD of Gen 3 Prius?......they will refer the problem to Navteq (I THINK) and hope for updates to be corrected, however I understand the next version is not due until 2011..

I have been pretty happy with my T-Spirit Sat-Nav in my Gen 3, but this week in Edinburgh at has been annoying. Navigation spot on, but in Edinburgh it seems to think every junction is a roundabout, not a junction. Every time I am approaching a cross roads I get "at the roundabout"...

It's not happened anywhere else though ........ strange....

in Edinburgh it seems to think every junction is a roundabout, not a junction. Every time I am approaching a cross roads I get "at the roundabout"...

I get that sort of thing all the time locally. There has been a lot of work on bypasses in our area in the last four or five years and the Toyota system hasn't caught up with it. There is one section of road where there are new roundabouts that don't show at all. Having negotiated them without the assistance of the satnav, the screen initially shows that we are driving over open fields and then skips to showing us as on the M1, which is parallel to and a short distance away from the road that we are on, then finally reverts to the correct indication when the newer road rejoins the old route.

In the great scheme of things it makes little difference, because I know where I am anyway, but it must be pretty confusing to drivers unfamiliar with the area.

To be honest I've had situations like that many times in Spain and Italy...And it really doesn't make much difference, let's not forget that in this minority of cases there is also a thing called roadsigns...Swapping one way streets in an unknown area, like what happened in Barcelona once can be annoying, but not that big of a deal either since you take the next right/left...

Sure I appreciate people want affordable updates, besides my devices where it happens automatically i.e. iPhone it is not a big deal...Bit like the iPhone 4 reception issue which is taken totally out of context and importance....

Assuming the system has been designed with some common sense :wacko: then it should have off-the-shelf industry standard interfaces - so the "Specific piece of equipment" boils down to a generally available USB or Firewire cable, a laptop and the right software package. (the socket for it to plug into is visible when you open the screen to insert a CD). In which case, the only cost is in license fees for the software and updates.

Given a the right sofware design, there's no reason why Toyota / the GPS provder couldn't have made the software and upates downloadable for very small fee (they could even incorporate some form of digital rights management to tie the download to a specific car to prevent owners from sharing downloads).

I wouldn't be surprised to find that some hackers haven't got the interface sussed out and developed an app to play around with the data on the T-Spirit's hard disk!

That said, I still find the built in sat-nav to be "adequate" for my needs :)

Are you sure they are for a Gen3 HDD SatNav ;-)

Err in a short answer ...... no .... I am useless with HDD etc (nought to do with being female I assure you lol!, so how would I be sure that they are the correct version?

TVM

:thumbsup:

ps its a 2006 T spirit if that makes a difference, yet to be named.

after reading all the posts on here about the built in sat nav.... with 32 day to go untill my prius..... i ordered a satnav from Halfords lol :) better to be safe than sorry.

It's not that bad, it's never failed to get me door to door using the 7 digit post code function, integrates into the HUD and the directions are clear enough, the only glitch I have had is with the roundabout / crossroad confusion I mentioned above, but that is countered with common sense.

Personally I would not be without the built in unit, I like the Nav, I like the better degree of control I have over the phone and music streaming settings, and the ipod control whilst dire is do-able with playlists and the touch screen interface.

I much prefer it to wires everywhere etc etc. on VAG group cars, the MFD3 / Columbus system is £1500 as an upgrade and it does not do 7 digit postcodes .... the T-Spirit is a bargain by comparison :)

It's not that bad, it's never failed to get me door to door using the 7 digit post code function, integrates into the HUD and the directions are clear enough, the only glitch I have had is with the roundabout / crossroad confusion I mentioned above, but that is countered with common sense.

Personally I would not be without the built in unit, I like the Nav, I like the better degree of control I have over the phone and music streaming settings, and the ipod control whilst dire is do-able with playlists and the touch screen interface.

I much prefer it to wires everywhere etc etc. on VAG group cars, the MFD3 / Columbus system is £1500 as an upgrade and it does not do 7 digit postcodes .... the T-Spirit is a bargain by comparison :)

there is no reason to have WIRES EVERYWHERE simple job to strip out the plug in socket and shorten the wire to ideal lengh.and dont forget tomtom and the such have Battery in them thats good for at least a couple of hours before requiring plugging in, ive a tomtom 910 had it some years now all singing and all dancing.evan covers north america (though never taken it there) handy to have if hiring a motor.

a friend of mine barrows it when he goes abroad when he hires a car,speed camera alert are provided all over europe with it too and many other features you dont get in a toyotas rip off pricing sat nav.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links