Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Or Mondeo?

toyboater

I've just had to make the very same decision myself and I ended up with the Avensis T4 Tourer and so far I am not dissapointed.

For me the new company car had to fit some rather large sports gear inside (my hobby is windsurfing). My old Vectra estate was a crap car but swallowed loads of kit and I knew it would be hard to beat for that. After much deliberating I ruled out the Passat and A4 leaving just the Avensis and Mondeo left. I test drove both for a weekend each thanks to the lease company. With the vectra I could get 3 boards and all the rest of the grar inside but neither the Mondeo or Avensis could as the passenger seat does not recline fully backward. This is a great shame as it would increase the length of stuff you can carry by quite a bit in the same way the Vecra did.

So for the new car it meant a Roof Rack but that was no problem other than security and added fuel consumption. So it was then down to features and cost. While the drive of the Mondeo was a bit better it was not by a huge amount (and as a 50k per year driver I do recognise these things). Comfort was similar and the Mondeo has the edge with a more quality build feel. The Avensis was miles ahead on standard features though and this made a difference to lease costs. If I was to get the Avensis it was £97 under my monthly allowence so the ballance would appear in my sallary. The Mondeo however was £39 under meaning £58 less in my salary each month. Combine that with the difference in tax and there is just under £107 difference in favour of the Avensis. When all added together it was a no brainer really as the £1200 saving buys me a couple of windsurfing trips to Egypt.

Go for it;

Thanks for your thoughts. I am pretty much thinking along the same lines now. The Mondeo is undoubtably a better drive and the quality of the interior design seems superior. However, the T4 has so much kit and with a small saving in tax (which adds up over 4 years) and the fact that we've had 5 Toyotas and never a problem with any of them (or the dealer/service dept) I suspect I'm going for the Avensis (boring but sensible - what am I doing!). I know I'm now going to spend another four years thinking "but what if"! Oh, and the kids will disown me (again) as they feel I ought to have a Gallardo LP560!

What did put me off the Passat and A4 in the first place were their dealerships. When I walked in to take a look I was all but ignored and when I finally did get some attention the sales people didn't want to know as soon as they found out it was a company car. Both Toyota and Ford dealerships were really friendly and the toyota guys more so. When I mentioned the kit I sometimes carry they said "bring it down and we will try it", so I did. They couldn't be more willing to help. If I really do end up hating it, which I doubt, I only have it for 2 years.

As for the kids wanting to disown you I am sure they will find plenty of other reasons to do that, mine do.

Dealership aside the Audi A4 would be in my shortlist. The Passat is probably a good car too, but i always found it boring, so although the 2 are build on the same platform, i would rather spend the extra buck for the Audi. That said, i would rather buy the Passat than the Mondeo.

Go for it; Thanks for your thoughts. I am pretty much thinking along the same lines now. The Mondeo is undoubtably a better drive and the quality of the interior design seems superior. However, the T4 has so much kit and with a small saving in tax (which adds up over 4 years) and the fact that we've had 5 Toyotas and never a problem with any of them (or the dealer/service dept) I suspect I'm going for the Avensis (boring but sensible - what am I doing!). I know I'm now going to spend another four years thinking "but what if"! Oh, and the kids will disown me (again) as they feel I ought to have a Gallardo LP560!

I had the same "but what if" thoughts and had my eldest son disown me as well! He watches too much Top Gear!

Just curious, what are the most popular or common cars in UK. Ford and Opel/Vauxhall?

I had the same "but what if" thoughts and had my eldest son disown me as well! He watches too much Top Gear!

Agreed re TG.

So what's your view of the T4?

Toyboater,I moved to a new Avensis T4 2.0 D4D (saloon) company car in June and had an Avensis T Spirit 2.2 D4D Hatchback before that. Never tried a Mondeo though. Fine with the power and handling on mine (maybe not the most agile in road testers terms, but very smooth and secure and much better than the previous model) - though you will need to test drive both to compare, of course.I can only say that I am very happy with the car - relaxing to drive and averaging 57-58mpg! I've got the 2009 year model, but I believe the 2010 model comes with even more goodies, including full colour map sat nav, premium hard drive sound system and rear reversing camera (all were extra cost options on the 2009 model).And of course the electric steering wheel adjustment, which moves the wheel to the farthest position from the driver when turning the engine off. Just another gadget, I suppose, but it adds to that feelgood factor!

Toyboater,

Repeat of previous post on this thread - I really like it, but I've not driven the Mondeo.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links