Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! 96 Diff Problem

s burrow

Hi,

Have just picked up the mrs 3dr 4.1 gx after it broke down the other day. End result was it needed a new clutch.

When I run the car the diff beep is continuous until i press the diff lock button and the light comes on on the dash.

How do I get it back to normal or is it a case for the garage??

Any help would be appreciated because it takes a lot to get the mrs happy!!!!

Thanks

hi

first get all wheels straight and press the diff button it should beep then reverse a few yards then forwards a couple of times this normally releases it. if not it could be a vac switch piped wrong way round or damaged, maybe the vac actuator got damaged during the change. let me know and il look in the repair manual for more options.

what were your symptoms of the clutch failure.

hi

first get all wheels straight and press the diff button it should beep then reverse a few yards then forwards a couple of times this normally releases it. if not it could be a vac switch piped wrong way round or damaged, maybe the vac actuator got damaged during the change. let me know and il look in the repair manual for more options.

what were your symptoms of the clutch failure.

well it had been slipping for a while but plenty driveable, pulled away from a junction and suddenly no drive or gears!!! and no !Removed! mobile phone Battery :ffs: (but thats another story!!)

Try as Mr Billy suggests. The other thing is a wire that activates the diff lock is probably left un-done following the clutch change.

As Mr Billy says it could just be stuck. The buzzer sounds when the actuating vacuum is exhausted but the selector fails to move back to the disengaged position due to it binding on the gears and rocking it might free it.

However, we have head several instances, especially when the gearbox has been removed of the selector being incorrectly installed and if that is the case it will not free off by rocking. It is possible to fix with the box still installed but it is a struggle. You may well have to get the garage involved again and ask them to look at the diff lock selector shaft.

Don't keep running it as you could cause severe damage to the transmission.

As Mr Billy says it could just be stuck. The buzzer sounds when the actuating vacuum is exhausted but the selector fails to move back to the disengaged position due to it binding on the gears and rocking it might free it.

However, we have head several instances, especially when the gearbox has been removed of the selector being incorrectly installed and if that is the case it will not free off by rocking. It is possible to fix with the box still installed but it is a struggle. You may well have to get the garage involved again and ask them to look at the diff lock selector shaft.

Don't keep running it as you could cause severe damage to the transmission.

aha - not quite true - I run my RAVs on the quarter mile sprint with the diff lock engaged and I take them up to 115 mph. The stress comes when you try to turn a sharp corner on tarmac, but I haven't yet had a problem doing that on full lock at 18mph. I should say that both my RAVs are running at 280bhp to 400bhp and the gearbox and diff lock are fine with that. No transmission damage as yet after 2 years of racing. However to eliminate the heavy steering at slow speeds, get the garage to check the connections as its been knocked off during the clutch replacement.