Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Madvinegar's Corolla

madvinegar

Hi all. I just wanted to make a short presentation of my corolla. :P

I have a blue corolla E12 2004 model, 5door pro-f/l, which was initially 1.4 liters but I have converted it to 1.8 liters by using parts from an 1zzfe engine.

So, taking in mind that the engine blocks for 1zz, 3zz and 4zz engines are the same, I have replaced the pistons, the connecting rods and the crankshaft with the ones of a 1zz engine (celica 1zz).

I have also replaced my intake manifold and the throttle body with the ones of an Mr2 (1zz).

The output was about 142bhp and 17,5 kilograms of torque. Not bad I believe. The car is without any modification ECU chip etc.

Other than that I have the TTE springs on together with KYB AGX (lowered about 3mm).

I have a corolla TS exhaust.

Front upper Strut bar from Power Import USA.

Front brake disks and brake calipers from corolla TS (calipers painted red).

TSW volcano rims size 205/50/16 with Avon ZZ3 tires.

After market side spoilers.

TTE back spoiler.

Llumar titanium films on windows.

TTE quick shift with shift base bushings.

xcarlink mp3 player installed on the OEM radioCd.

I hope I am not forgetting something.

Any comments or questions are more than welcome! :D

enginepicwithmr2fixedthrottle.jpg

corol1.jpg

05092010338.jpg

14042009584.jpg

14022009474.jpg

14022009472.jpg

agx.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-8.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all. I just wanted to make a short presentation of my corolla. :P

I have a blue corolla E12 2004 model, 5door pro-f/l, which was initially 1.4 liters but I have converted it to 1.8 liters by using parts from an 1zzfe engine.

So, taking in mind that the engine blocks for 1zz, 3zz and 4zz engines are the same, I have replaced the pistons, the connecting rods and the crankshaft with the ones of a 1zz engine (celica 1zz).

I have also replaced my intake manifold and the throttle body with the ones of an Mr2 (1zz).

The output was about 140bhp and 18,7 kilograms of torque. Not bad I believe. The car is without any modification ECU chip etc.

Other than that I have the TTE springs on together with KYB excel-g (lowered about 3mm).

I have a corolla TS exhaust.

Front brake disks and brake calipers from corolla TS (calipers painted red).

TSW volcano rims size 205/50/16 with Avon ZZ3 tires.

After market side spoilers.

TTE back spoiler.

Llumar titanium films on windows.

TTE quick shift with shift cable bushings and base bushings.

xcarlink mp3 player installed on the OEM radioCd.

I hope I am not forgetting something.

Any comments or questions are more than welcome! :D

hi, how much did the pistons, connecting and crankshaft coct? and also how much was the labour charge?

did it costs alot to do all of those engine mods? and what else do you have to do

thank you

If the mechanic is experienced in TOYOTAs it is very easy as the parts that you put are plug-n-play. As I said the engine block is the same in 1zz, 3zz and 4zz.

You can drop the cost by finding a used 1zz engine and take the parts from it, however I preferred to put new ones just to have peace of mind.

As I said I am an admin at www.corollaclub.com and as a club member I have discount in several dealers. Most specifically I got a 15% discount for the parts.

The whole thing costs about 2.300-2.500 euros (without the reprogramming of the ECU). Labor charge is about 500-600 euros.

If you put the 1.8 pistons the engine works just fine at a normal compression. Some friends of mine have kept their 1.4 or 1.6 pistons to get higher compression but you definitely need reprogramming of the ECU if you do that because the engine will not work well...

You can also change your fuel injectors and put the 1.8 ones, but again you need reprogramming of the ECU.

1zzfe parts inside, TS backbox and 2nd catalyst removed...

(Click on the screenshots to play the video)

Cold start

th_corollacoldstart.jpg

Normal

th_corollaexhaustsound.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Today I have installed the KAYABA AGX shocks.

The handling feels great and the ride is stiff but smooth.

The settings I have chosen are 3 in front and 5 for the back.

Has anyone else installed the AGX so as to propose any other setting?

post-28228-027374100 1289401927_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

After almost 7 years I decided to do something with the headlight bulbs. The OEM ones were starting to produce this old yellow light and I was not happy at all.

I did not want to mess with xenon lights and voltage stabilizers etc. so I found the perfect second best solution.

PHILIPS DIAMOND VISION Ultimate xenon Effect.

I also changed the 1st scale lights with some led style ones because the OEM ones were producing a yellow light as well and they were spoiling the final clear white result.

I am very satisfied with the result. The road is much more easy to "read" now and much more bright. If I recall well the OEM bulbs were 2.400K and the new ones are 5.000K...

Here are some photos taken before and after (and also 50/50 i.e. one light yellow and one white).

yellow2.jpg

yellow1.jpg

white5.jpg

white4.jpg

white3.jpg

white2.jpg

white1.jpg

comparison1.jpg

I updated some pics in my first post.

TTE springs lower the car about 3cm-3,5cm together with KAYABA AGX shocks.

I believe one of the best combinations if you do not want to lower the car too much but simultaneously have a stiff ride for nice cornering (and still not have an annoyingly bumpy ride).

sorry to double post but are these the shocks:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m32b911s3321p48829&rs=gb

Yes, these are the shocks. I cannot remember exactly the codes but I can find out if you like.

Forgot to mention that the rims are 16".

In case you do not want to lower your car I know that AGX work great with OEM springs as well.

However they do not work well for over lowered cars i.e. 5cm as they don't have enough "space" to bound-rebound as they should.

bulbs look good lad, look like hids :thumbsup:

how is the car going for you?

Thanks for the kind comment. Indeed they kinda look like HIDS...

I believe that the best mod you can do to a 4zzfe engine is to oversize it to 1.8L with parts from 1zz.

Everything is plug and play and you get real power on the road (not "fake" power that you get from air intakes, bigger exhausts etc.).

The best thing about this mod is that you get a LOT of torque from very low revs in every gear. About 18kg of torgue. It's not so much the horsepower (you get about 140-145bhp) but the fact that the power comes from very low revs. This makes the car very easy to drive (as you don't need to shift now and then) especially in uphills or when having extra weight in it.

All these without reprogramming the ECU. The engine works like a charm.

And as I said, since you keep the same engine block, the code engraved on it is still 4zz so you don't even have to declare it!

Plus the fact that when you drive the car normally, it is by far more economic than when it was 1.4L especially in the open road, i.e. on trips etc.

So, just to answer your question, the car is going just fine for me... :thumbsup:

thanks man!

if you could find the code it would be really appreciated.

The springs I'm looking at are 40mm but I know I should really replace the shocks too so I'm trying to find some that will fit, but it's hard. :(

I have the 1.4 4zz too! how easy/cheap is it to replace the parts with the 1.8l stuff as I would be very interested in doing this! :D

sorry for all the questions :P

Ok, so the codes for the AGX shocks are:

734060 & 734061 for the front shocks (left and right) and 741070 for the rear shocks (you need 2 x 741070).

As regards the mod to oversize your engine I am explaining everything in detail in my first posts (#1 nd #6) of this thread. Go through them and if you still have any questions please let me know. :thumbsup:

Brilliant thank-you!

I will have a read tonight when I finish work :)

I was put off by those shocks at first as they said "Corolla 11.01 -" but I guess that's the date 11/2001 onwards? haha!

Ofcourse. Like a glove... The diameter in the 4zz pistons and the 1zz pistons is exactly the same. Their difference is in their height. The 1zz pistons are shorter.

The engine blocks of 1zz and 4zz are the same. The thing that increases your cubism from 1400cc to 1800cc is the distance in the movement of your piston from the upper point to the lower point. This is achieved by shorter pistons, shorter connecting rods and bigger crankshaft.

The great increase in torque is achieved by the much bigger and heavier crankshaft. If you will see one 4zz crankshaft next to a 1zz crankshaft you will think that it is the child next to his father... :lol:

The 1zz crankshaft is even heavier than a 2zzge (TS) crankshaft. Ofcourse this is because the 2zzge crankshaft has to be lightweight since the engine revs up to 8400rpm...

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

I wish I could bring the car in the UK and participate in one of your meetings so as to take you for a ride and see for yourself how it runs...

Just one more question for anyone in the know.

Would it affect the MOT in any way, like the emissions test beacuse they would be higher than they should be for the 1.4 engine?

I have passed MOT without any problem. At least in Greece.

The reasons are:

1) You keep your 1.4 engine block so the code engraved on it is still 4zzfe.

2) My emissions (believe it or not) were slightly better that when the car was 1.4L.

The only way that someone can understand that there is something going on with the engine is either to Dyno test the car, or to check the pressure of the emissions coming out the exhaust.

Keep in mind that the parts you use are OEM parts. OEM parts for an 1zzfe engine. For example, would a celica or MR2 with 1zzfe engine have any problem passing MOT?

So, as I said, at least in the Greek MOT, I, (and many others like me), have not faced any problem.