Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knock Sensor Problem - Avensis 04 1.8 Vvti

ahmedh

Hi Everyone,

I've got an Avensis 1.8 vvti 2004, last November I had my engine block/piston rings changed under Toyota Warranty to fix the problems with excessive oil consumption.

Within the last 10 months, twice I've had the following lights come up on the dashboard together:

• Engine Management light
  • VSC
  • TRC Off

The first time it happened was back in April, I got it checked out at a local garage and it came up as P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction.

The second time it happened was at the beginning of September and this time I took it to Toyota to get it checked out as I thought it may be related to the work done on the engine previously. It turned out to be same error code.

Toyota advised that the Knock Sensor needs replacing at a cost of £250! When I questioned them about whether this was part of the engine work done to resolve the oil consumption issues they initially said it wasnt related at all. I then asked them as to where the Knock sensor is located and they said its on the engine block (which is what was changed wasnt it???), so they then admitted they would have had to remove it as part of the warranty work. But obviously they wont accept that the sensor may have been damaged in the process as it would be noticable straight away.

I've never had this problem with the sensot prior to any work taking place on the engine. I'm now stuck with what could be a damaged sensor and Toyota not accepting responsibility for it. On top of that, checking my dipstick the other day, its now down to half way after 6000 miles since the engine work was done, so whatever they did it hasnt resolved my oil consumption problems!

I'm contemplating writing a letter of complaint to Toyota GB Head Office as not only is my original problem not resolved, its caused 'Knock' on effects (no pun intended!) as well.

Any help/advice appreciated. Has anyone has had similar issues?

Just a further update:

Last night driving home on the motorway and the VSC, TRC off and Engine Lights came on again. I will be writing a letter of complaint to Toyota about the issue as it seems to be too much of a coincedence that this sensor has started playing up after the engine work.

Has anyone else had problems with their Knock Sensor? Searching on the forums it doesnt seem to be a part that usually goes wrong which is why I suspect it got damaged.

Two things... 6000 miles and oil half way down dipstick... it's not perfect but it's not too bad. I was told years ago by service manager at Toyota that with new cars it's important not to be too gentle running in and that after the first 100 miles or so make sure to (gently) build the revs right up to burn off and prevent oil glaze. Also claimed that modern oils specified by Toyota were so good that when they did any engine work they literally used £4.99 for 5 litres cheap stuff and asked the customer to come back after 500 miles for a "proper" oil change. The cheap stuff worked a treat in bedding new components in quickly.

Knock sensors... are just Piezo microphones, and in themselves very reliable. Connections get damaged of course, and I believe it's vitally important that they are refitted with clean surfaces and tightened to the correct torque so that the characteristics are correct.

When changing the short motor (lock with pistons, etc) they will have had to chnage over all the engine ancillaries including the knock sensor. It's possible they may either have damaged it or fitted it incorrectly. The problem being can you prove such. Obviously if you take it back to the same garage guess what their answer is going to be. Getting another opinion may be the only way to establish the true cause of failure.:)

Thanks for the replies, I will definately look into getting a second opinion on the Knock Sensor malfunction. BTW the car seems to drive ok after the lights have come on in terms of power, although not as smooth.

Jamesbelfast, just for clarification, are you saying that they would have fitted a new Knock Sensor as part of the short motor change? If so then this should definately be covered under guarantee as any parts fitted should be covered for at least 12 months.

I've phoned another Toyota Dealership and asked them what was changed as part of the Oil Consumption issues, but they said that the Knock Sensor wasn't changed on mine and wouldn't usually be changed as it has no bearing on the Oil Consumption issue. They would have changed only the bare minimum of components they can that relate to the issue.

So in my case I'm guessing they would have used my original Knock Sensor. I still need to get a second opinion on whether its been fitted correctly/damaged, hopefully I'll try and get it checked out this weekend at a local garage and see what they say.

Hi Everyone,

I've got an Avensis 1.8 vvti 2004, last November I had my engine block/piston rings changed under Toyota Warranty to fix the problems with excessive oil consumption.

Within the last 10 months, twice I've had the following lights come up on the dashboard together:

• Engine Management light
  • VSC
  • TRC Off

The first time it happened was back in April, I got it checked out at a local garage and it came up as P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction.

The second time it happened was at the beginning of September and this time I took it to Toyota to get it checked out as I thought it may be related to the work done on the engine previously. It turned out to be same error code.

Toyota advised that the Knock Sensor needs replacing at a cost of £250! When I questioned them about whether this was part of the engine work done to resolve the oil consumption issues they initially said it wasnt related at all. I then asked them as to where the Knock sensor is located and they said its on the engine block (which is what was changed wasnt it???), so they then admitted they would have had to remove it as part of the warranty work. But obviously they wont accept that the sensor may have been damaged in the process as it would be noticable straight away.

I've never had this problem with the sensot prior to any work taking place on the engine. I'm now stuck with what could be a damaged sensor and Toyota not accepting responsibility for it. On top of that, checking my dipstick the other day, its now down to half way after 6000 miles since the engine work was done, so whatever they did it hasnt resolved my oil consumption problems!

I'm contemplating writing a letter of complaint to Toyota GB Head Office as not only is my original problem not resolved, its caused 'Knock' on effects (no pun intended!) as well.

Any help/advice appreciated. Has anyone has had similar issues?

Sorry I cant help you with the Knock Sensor but when my 2004 1.8 avensis started to get through lots of oil Toyota did an oil consumption test and when it failed they changed the complete engine under warranty, this of course after they intially told me that the original engine probably just needed a good (major) service which cost about £400 and I never got that money back!

Push for an engine change as their 'fix' obviously wasnt the correct one

Sorry if this is irrelevant, but with reference to your warning lights, I too had the same ones come on about two weeks after buying the car and it turned out to be a product of a faulty brake light bulb, they changed them both and I've never had the warning lights again!

good luck

bryan

I think the figures stated in the owners manual state roughly 1 litre per 600 miles if i remember rightly. Alot, i know but going off your figues of 6000 miles and oil is halfway down dipstick, i'm guessing between min and max, then its used no more than a litre i'd say.

As for the Knock sensor, that price seems a little steep. How much was the part? There's a possibility its been damaged when changed over to new engine. Could you get one from a breakers and try that?

I think Toyota said it would about £100 for the part and £150 for the labour. Quite steep yes.

At the moment the lights are still on, but driving the car normally, not sure how long it will last. Might be writing a letter of complaint to Toyota GB about it as the dealer doesnt want to look at it unless I pay them the £250. If they have damaged it then out of principle why should I go and pay to get it repaired?