Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Cylinder Head Gasket On Rav4 T180

james warren

Has this issue been resolved on new build cars?

I have only just bought my 09 car and would hate to think it was a time bomb....

Love my RAV4 and would buy a new one if it would have the issues sorted.....

I have only just bought my 09 car and would hate to think it was a time bomb....

From memory, it was a problem created by incompatibility of the coolant fluid with the head gasket that resulted in the breakdown of the gasket material leading to possible corrosion of the head.

Was sorted prior to your model year as far as I know so no need for you to be concerned.

Big Guru Kev or Oracle Anchorman will doubtless be able to add more detail :thumbsup:

From memory, it was a problem created by incompatibility of the coolant fluid with the head gasket that resulted in the breakdown of the gasket material leading to possible corrosion of the head.

Was sorted prior to your model year as far as I know so no need for you to be concerned.

Big Guru Kev or Oracle Anchorman will doubtless be able to add more detail :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I can now sleep the sleep of the dead :)

Len,

Ye cannae sleep the sleep of the dead, and have an avatar promoting "live long and prosper".Smart new uniform that.

I have deliberately been "ostriching" this cylinder head issue, as I thought that 2009ish models had been re-modded to cure?

That apart, I was taking solace in the fact that Toyota were actually putting their hands up to this one, and extended the warranty accordingfully.

So far I have taken mine from 3k to nearly 16k with no oil or water issues, touch wood.

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

...avatar promoting "live long and prosper".Smart new uniform that.

"Scheme me up Botty" :unsure: or maybe "Scheme me up Bothy" :unsure:

Does anyone know what year it was when Toyota realised it was a problem with the anti freeze that was goosing the head gaskets??

cheers Don. So am I right in thinking that when the car was serviced after that date they would automatically change the antifreeze? OR were the cars all recalled for this. Mine has the new antifreeze in but I now know that mine ran for 2 years on the old stuff. Does nowt for my morale lol

Just to let you know we are off to collect the car today. The cylinder hed and gaskets have been replaced, and it's all being paid for by Toyota GB! My wife is amazed as I am, and faith in Toyota restored. The garage have advised us to run on super diesel though as said that the cheaper diesel tender to produce more carbon deposits that is causing the issue - not sure if that is right or not ! But at least we dont have a huge bill after Christmas.

Don't worry about the anti freeze or head gaskets. The problem was very rare.

The merits of decent diesel are well versed in these pages.

Four people that have joined to look for info on it!!! :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, thought I'd add a quick reply and ask a question if I may.

Had simlar isues with my 07 Rav4 XTR, had a head gasket relacement at 2 years old which I was surprised at, but it was done under warranty. I just took it in for its 4 year service, guess what .. its gone again! Now although its out of warranty Toyota have agreed to pay full parts and labour cost for the fix, so I'm happy.

My dielma is do I now have it serviced, bearing in mind its had the short block and all sorts of other things replaced? If I do should I expect a discount on the £355 being that its not going to need oil, oil filter, coolant and the time to change those things? (or am I being a tight *****?)

Kind Regards

Kevin

No - ask for a discount on a much reduced service. They can only say no.

355 Quid for a service on a Rav4 ??? Surely that's a bit on the heavy side ?? Or is that including some brake replacements or something ????

I agree any parts and oil fitted as part of the head gasket replacement surely cant be charged again as part of the general servicing ???... At 355 quid they have a fair amount of scope to discount the service and still make good money anyhow !!! :rolleyes:

Charlie.

Yes I got a £120 discount, so had the full 4 year service for £230. Also got a mostly new engine from the head gasket issue, so much so that I have to advise DVLA of a new engine number!!! :)

Interestingly the woman at customer services told me she had 6 cars in for a new head gasket that week, that must be some kind of record!!!

Cheers

Kevin