Hou

Balls deep...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Mr2

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Do you use a clay bar? Many people do not know what a clay bar is in terms of automotive use. But once you have used one you will be amazed at the difference it makes plus the dirt it brings out.

Now take my MR2. This was washed, polished and Harly Waxed 2 months ago. We took stock of our new clay so thought we would try it out on the MR2 which was still rather clean. We cleaned the bonnet using a microfibre washmitt and then rinsed and dried.

Cleaning the bonnet
Posted Image
Cleanish
Posted Image
Clean clay
Posted Image
Dirty clay from small section that looked clean
Posted Image
Posted Image

It brought that dirt out of a 30cmx30cm section of bonnet. :thumbsup:

More details about clay bars can be found here: Ninja Clay

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jw67

jw67

jw67

• TOC Supporter
  • 2,911 posts
  • Toyota Model: Corolla

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I first used a Meguiars clay bar kit about a year ago on my then owned Nissan Primera.I thought that car was clean until I clayed it and was amazed how much engrained dirt there was.I polish my cars on average once every 2 months or so,so I didn't expect such a difference after I clayed and polished/waxed the car but the finish for a 12 year old car was superb.
By contrast,when I bought the Corolla a few months ago the non-metalic paint was a bit flat looking but responded quite well to a monthly polish routine on top of weekly washing.About a month ago,I thought I would try claying the bodywork as I was not happy with the depth of the shine as well as dreadful swirling by the poor cleaning technique of the previous owner.Sadly,not a lot of dirt came from the bonnet and front wings(the only parts I managed to do before the weather started turning nasty) and although there probably is a "deeper" shine than before,the finish I an after still eludes me :crybaby:

#3 Hou

Hou

Balls deep...

• Advanced Members
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

It is very good stuff although for swirls you really need it machine polishing to get it looking it's best :(

#4 180black

180black

• Registered Member
  • 10 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis T180

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hi, I see your post about the 'Clay Bar'. I use Maguiars & it's the dogs dangleys. To give yourself some comfort in its abilities, do half a panel with the clay bar, then polish the complete panel, the half you do with the clay bar will be so much smoother.

I noticed another reply that mentions you can't beat a mechanical polish. Perhaps true for the final finish, but you do remove some of the top coat with a mechanical polish - The clay bar will just remove the grit on the paint, leaving you a clean surface to polish. I have also used a clay bar from Bilt Hammer, but it was harder to lubricate with just water.

I also use the Meguiars 3 stage polish. Stage 1 paint cleaner - unlike T-Cut this does not remove any paint. Stage 2 - polish. Stage 3 Carnnuba wax.

Until recently I wasn't convinced with the Carnnuba wax, but after polishing the bonnet of the car, I waxed half of the bonnet 3 times. Whilst the initial shine looks little different, you will notice a big difference the next time you wash.

One last thing on the Clay bar. I recommended its use to a work mate & he has used it on his Sierra Cosworth - a few quids worth of motor, now almost every time I see him, he raves about the finish he got on his car.

Happy valeting.
Steve

#5 Hou

Hou

Balls deep...

• Advanced Members
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hey Steve,

Nice post, only just seen it!

The point I was making about the machine polish was for the removal of swirl marks and defects like that, which you can mask with a polish but for actual removal you need a machine :thumbsup:

#6 dangermooser

dangermooser

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Toyota Model: Corolla 1.8 T Sport

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

I have just used Maguiars clay bar for the first time on my Corolla and as you have said Steve I was pretty much knocked out with the results followed by a full wax polish (carnuba) being silver I suppose it doesn't look much different to normal but the paint is super super smooth. I reckon I have spent about 60 on kit to clean the car but I am sure I will soon get my money back compared to using the local Polish car wash :thumbsup:

#7 CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie

Shiny.... Very Shiny

• Banned
  • 3,682 posts
  • First Name:Charlie
  • Toyota Model: Rav4 2006 2.2D T180
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Claying a car removes all the bonded contaminants from the paintwork. IE Tar , Traffic film. Oil residues. Bird lime that is in visible to the eye and just about every other crap that finds its self onto You cars bodywork..
Claying will make the paint much smoother to the feel and I do it before commencing Machine polishing as the Bonded containments will mix with the polish and prevent it from breaking down... Although just claying alone will really help clean a car ...

There are many degrees or cutting abilities in different clay bars . Some will cut very quickly others will cut very slowly.. All are very safe and will not cut through the lacquer unless You go mad !!

Always lube the panel by mixing a 50/50 mix of detailing spray and water into a spray bottle. No lube will increase the chance of marring the paintwork....

This thread gives a wee insight to polishing ect.. Feel free to ask questions on that thread if I can help as I wont miss them there..
http://www.toyotaown...9

HTH

Wee Charlie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Mistermena

Mistermena

Death befor Disco!...

• Registered Member
  • 3,639 posts
  • First Name:Taff
  • Toyota Model: TOYOTA AVENSIS D-4D T180 Estate...
  • Year: 2007

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

I use Bilt Hamber soft and regular clay bars on my cars. I've found after using lots of different ones they work the best for me as all you need is water as a lube. So after the Power wash with the Nilfisk and snow foam lance the HD wax goes on. HD isn't the best of my Wax collection, but it does work well with the Toyota paint. My mate has gone made and has a 6000 a pot wax! But he's just got far to much money to spend on gear! But a last he gets it re filled for life! You'd have to for that kinda wonga :thumbsup:

#9 Andy Kerry

Andy Kerry

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • First Name:Andrew
  • Toyota Model: Auris
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Great stuff. I had a 16 year old Nissan Pulsar after I got it used my maguires clay bar and polish it came up a gem. I always re washed mine then double waxed it for a great shine. It's hard work but every 6 months it makes a real difference!

#10 Huon.cloutier

Huon.cloutier

• Registered Member
  • 17 posts
  • First Name:Huon
  • Toyota Model: toyota prado
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

How effective are clay bars for removing bugs? During the summer our vehicles get coated in dead bugs and the heat helps to bake it into the paint before I get a chance to wash the vehicle.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users