• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 peter hamblin

peter hamblin

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2002 RAV 4 gx 2.0 VVTi

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi everyone...I'm new here and am hoping some of you experts may be able to help.

My wifes car, a 2002 RAV4 2.00 VVTi, has a very intermittent strange problem.

In the morning,when the car is started,the ABS and brake warning lights stay on. After warming up,if the car is switched off and then back on again,the ABS and brake warning lights go out.I have tried hard braking to see if the ABS is working....when the light is on...no ABS. When the light is off...ABS is fully functioning.

Here's the strange bit...whenever the light is on..the heater fan won't work,but when the light goes out,the fan starts working again.

Mr Toyota did a diagnostics,and said a fault code for an ABS solenoid shows up..but no fault code number......750.00 plus fitting plus VAT please. But how can this affect the heater fan????

I am convinced that this is an obscure electrical issue,but cannot put my finger on it.

Can anyone help..please?

Thanks is advance...Peter

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts
  • First Name:Don
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.
  • Year: 2012

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to the club.

Funnily enough they are both wired through the ignition switch and that problem is almost definitely a poor feed. Don't buy that ABS unit just yet!!!

You could either try wriggling the ignition when it fails or the plugs on the back of the fuse boxes of which there are several. You could try a direct feed from the battery just to prove it. I can provide you wiring info if you will understand it but if not just take it into a sparky.

#3 shcm

shcm

Top Rank Poster!

• TOC Supporter Plus
  • 2,062 posts
  • First Name:shcm
  • Gender*:Not Telling
  • Toyota Model: The future is bright
  • Year: Non

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Not got wiring diagram for pre 2003 4.2, but having a very quick look post 2003, the ABS motor and solenoid direct battery feed and the blower motor feed all come of 100A fusible link MAIN2 and I haven't found anything else fed off that link (yet!).

Not unreasonable for loss of ABS motor and solenoid supplies to throw a DTC and turn the light on.

That would happen if that link was dodgy and you'd get no blower either.

Now, I'd be the first to admit that it is an odd thing thermally for a fusible link to do and if it is dodgy, you might expect something like, oh, perhaps higher than normal resistance and therefore a large volt drop under high current load (e.g. ABS activation) and therefore more ABS problems and stored faults and/or even the thing blowing completely - but perhaps it is worth a look.

Now you are going to ask where MAIN2 is. I dont' know, probably in one of the under-bonnet fuse boxes.

#4 peter hamblin

peter hamblin

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Thanks fellas....I would appreciate a wiring diagram...even if I can't fully understand it,I will be taking it to a sparky.
I can't find MAIN 2 on the fuse box diagram..only MAIN which is 30A and appears to be "H-LP RH and H-LP LH" which I assume is headlamps.
I'll try wiggling around the ignition switch.

BTW...how would I try a direct battery feed? I don't know whether this is relevant,but these problems only started after the battery was replaced a couple of weeks ago.

#5 Ravi Shankar

Ravi Shankar

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Toyota Model: Rav4 2ltr vvti 2001

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

I'm no sparky but i wonder if disconnecting the battery for an hour or 2 may help ? making sure you have the stereo code if it's coded of course.

#6 peter hamblin

peter hamblin

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi Ravi...I tried that,but only for about 10 mins. The light cleared ,but then came back again the next day.

I have just been to see a local auto electrician...first thing he said was..try the ignition switch,by wiggling it when the light's on...exactly what anchorman has suggested. He said that Citroen have the same thing,caused by the heater fan load gradually causing ignition switch contacts to 'corrode' and if the abs is also on the switch it will cause these symptoms.
As to Mr Toyota..he said.."Well..they just make it up as they go along".

He's going to look at it soon,but, anchorman...if you have that wiring diagram I would hugely appreciate getting a copy...do you want an e-mail address?

Cheers, Peter

#7 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts
  • Toyota Model: RAV 4 SR 2.2 D4D 150 in Decuma Grey and Daihatsu Sirion 2008 with Yaris mechanics.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi Ravi...I tried that,but only for about 10 mins. The light cleared ,but then came back again the next day.

I have just been to see a local auto electrician...first thing he said was..try the ignition switch,by wiggling it when the light's on...exactly what anchorman has suggested. He said that Citroen have the same thing,caused by the heater fan load gradually causing ignition switch contacts to 'corrode' and if the abs is also on the switch it will cause these symptoms.
As to Mr Toyota..he said.."Well..they just make it up as they go along".

He's going to look at it soon,but, anchorman...if you have that wiring diagram I would hugely appreciate getting a copy...do you want an e-mail address?

Cheers, Peter

No they are less than 2Mb;

Attached File  abs fuse.pdf   13.29KB   48 downloads

Attached File  abs wire.pdf   29.41KB   35 downloads

Attached File  ac wire.pdf   33.59KB   27 downloads

Attached File  relay loc.pdf   43.38KB   28 downloads

#8 peter hamblin

peter hamblin

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

Hi anchorman....Many,many thanks. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again...Peter

#9 peter hamblin

peter hamblin

• Registered Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Urgghhhh!..... Tried wiggling the ignition key...no effect.

BUT...now the thing is intermittently dead when inserting key in ignition...and sometimes the blower fan now works when the ABS light is on.

This has got to be all to do with a U/S ignition switch...hasn't it??????

It's doing my head in now!!!

#10 anchorman

anchorman

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

It depends what you mean when you say inserting the key. Do you mean when the key is in fully and turning it??? The ABS and the AC are only powered up when the key is in the run position (ignition on).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users