Do Not Sell My Personal Information

97 Caina 2 Litre Turbo Diesel Wont Start

jonobd

hi guys , as above

things i have tried checked for diesel at injectors not a drop.

so then i looked at injector pump there is 3 wires going into the back of it. what are theses wires for

immobilizer? if so what way is it wired up can it be bypassed? as i do not want too spend money i do not have at moment

any help would be great

Hi there,

It is difficult to find any documentation for the diesel carinas. The haynes manual covers the petrol engines only. Ages ago I downloaded a workshop manual for the early Avensis/Corona T22. I found this in the wiring diagrams. As this is from a manual to another model it might be wrong, but you have a 97 Carina (that means a late model)and it was replaced by the T22 Avensis I would say that it is mostly the same as your car.

I assume that the engine is rotating when you turn the key, am I right?

The injectionpump has 3 wires (black, violet and brown). The black wire comes from the fusebox and gives positive voltage to lot of sensors and also the ecu. The violet wire comes from the terminal NE+ in the ecu. The brown wire goes to the NE- terminal at the ecu.

In the service hints it is stated that NE+ to NE- has a pulse generated from the speed sensor when the engine is rotating. The speed sensor is connected to the ecu at terminal B18 and B19. The injectionpump (NE+and NE-) are connected to the ecu at terminal B20 and B21.

With this knowledge I would start looking at the speed sensor and also to see if the fuelpump is ok. Lastly I would have a look at the ecu. Don't forget to check all the wires and the connectors between speed sensor, ecu, injectionpump etc...

I hope this will help you.

Hi.

let me 1st say thank you very much for replying .

as you have named the wiring colours . they do not seem to be the same as mine.

white, red/black and yellow/red i have. when i turn on ignition there is 12volts at all 3 wires

2 power in and one power out which is the yellow/red wire. i am not sure where this wire leeds too.

cheers John.

Hi mate,

the wires going to the injector pump will connect to the cut off solinoid that cut's off the supply of fuel If this is faulty then there is no fuel to the injector pump. Can tou hear it click on and off when you turn the ignition if not then then this could be the trouble?

Can i ask what kind of mpg do you get with the diesel at say 75 80 mph and it would seem that these diesel's are controlled by a ecu like the petrols which i thought they did not (disapointing) well according to the guy who quoted the avenisis wirering? I awas hoping to get one of these and try improving the performance without the worry of of being controlled by electrics

Regards Petroleum

As I wrote in the beginning it was worth a try because a 97 Carina and the first Avensis are very similar to each other. I have noticed that that workshop manual for T22 is more correct than Haynes book is on some system and very wrong on other system.

I hope you will find out how the Carina is wired.

Hi mate,

the wires going to the injector pump will connect to the cut off solinoid that cut's off the supply of fuel If this is faulty then there is no fuel to the injector pump. Can tou hear it click on and off when you turn the ignition if not then then this could be the trouble?

Can i ask what kind of mpg do you get with the diesel at say 75 80 mph and it would seem that these diesel's are controlled by a ecu like the petrols which i thought they did not (disapointing) well according to the guy who quoted the avenisis wirering? I awas hoping to get one of these and try improving the performance without the worry of of being controlled by electrics

Regards Petroleum

Hi mate was gettin around 45-50 gal . as for fuel controll yes it is controlled by E C U . i cant hear anything clickin that black box at back of pump . i would like too remove it , but there seems too be anti tamper screws on it . i wonder is the solenoid located behide this black box??

i was thinkin of removing the pump and fitting an old manual pump off 1.8 corolla . not sure if this will work tho??

As I wrote in the beginning it was worth a try because a 97 Carina and the first Avensis are very similar to each other. I have noticed that that workshop manual for T22 is more correct than Haynes book is on some system and very wrong on other system.

I hope you will find out how the Carina is wired.

i hope so too mate cheers

Hi mate,

Regards Petroleum

Hi mate was gettin around 45-50 gal . as for fuel controll yes it is controlled by E C U . i cant hear anything clickin that black box at back of pump . i would like too remove it , but there seems too be anti tamper screws on it . i wonder is the solenoid located behide this black box??

i was thinkin of removing the pump and fitting an old manual pump off 1.8 corolla . not sure if this will work tho??

That's interesting fitting the corolla pump why is this pump entirely mechanical? If that mpg is at motorway speeds im getting more intersted in the diesel rather my 97 1.8 carina petrol. i believe carefully gas flowing the cyl head etc could give a 20% power increase with a slight increase in mpg

Getting back to your solenoid if you place your finger on it you should be able to feel it acctuate??? and if this forms the basis of the immoboliser system on the diesl then it would seem more straight forword as far as removing it for good as no one gona steal our cars now any how! Perhaps BALIKBAYAN who is very knowledable could tell or confirm to me that if i remove the the block connectors from the ecu alarm which is behind the glove compartment this will entirely eliminate the immoboliser system on my car for good and good riddance!??

Hi mate again if you go on eBay under carina diesel there is an injection pump showing a photo from a 92 94 model is this the same as yours or does this look like it is entirely mechanical.

Could it be that the early ones were mechanical as this is getting interesting??

Hi mate again if you go on ebay under carina diesel there is an injection pump showing a photo from a 92 94 model is this the same as yours or does this look like it is entirely mechanical.

Could it be that the early ones were mechanical as this is getting interesting??

hey mate . its bad pic but that looks fully mechanical .. did not get a chance to look at car yet

but i will do tomorrow fingers crossed B)

hi guys , as above

things i have tried checked for diesel at injectors not a drop.

so then i looked at injector pump there is 3 wires going into the back of it. what are theses wires for

immobilizer? if so what way is it wired up can it be bypassed? as i do not want too spend money i do not have at moment

any help would be great

hello JONOBD

1. is engine well cranked?

2. is Battery well charged?

3. is fuel filter element in order?

4. do you have an EGR ?

5. are your injectors electrically operated or mechanical?

6. are all glow plugs in order?

7. as to 3 wires: 2 x wires are for SCV valves feeding; 1 x wire must be for overpressure sensor or bypass valve.

Cheers/Igor

hey guys . got her starting . took off that black box, solenoid was there :thumbsup:

thanks everybody :yahoo:

G R E A T !!!

• 4 years later...

hi all

i know this is an old thread if jonobd happens to read this i need help my car has the same problem? i tried looking for this solenoid to buy but nobody supplies it