Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Change Front Driver Sidelight Bulb Inside Headlight

atopman

Hi, i just changed the bulb on my wifes yaris colour collection 2005.

It was the driver side sidelight bulb which is integral with the headlight.

It appears very difficult to start with, but if you know it will take 5 mins or less.

heres how i did it.

1. unclip the cable, you have to press on underneath side of the plug body

2. now grab hold of the white squareish bulb socket housing, it also has a black rubber washer underneath it.

3. press in gently and twist the body clockwise about 1/4 turn ( turn your hand clockwise)

4. it should release the tabs inside and you can remove the whole bulb body with the bulb intact.

when you put it back it is easier if you take a look into the headlight, here you will see the tab cutouts , two of them, one is bigger than the other

so it helps if you line up the bulb tabs with these cut outs. I found this out by gently rotating the bulb body to locate the tabs correctly., once located, press in gently and then twist anticlockwise to lock in place. Job done !

Hope it helps someone, cos i searched and found no help anywhere.

it's in the handbook with pics.

Ahh but not everyone has a handbook (or are like me with one which is all in Japanese :rolleyes:)

Nice walk through Atopman, I'm sure it will come in handy to some owners :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

I had the owners handbook, but i found it was next to useless in practice. Nothing beats trying it yourself, i also had cracked fingers when i did it so i used gloves.

Not sure if the later Mk1 Yaris has the sidelight bulb in the "teardrop" section of the headlight that the earlier models dont have.

I changed both my sidelight bulbs in my early model mk1 and needed pliers to turn the plastic bayonet bulbholder it was that stiff!

bulbs were the standard wedge shaped 5w type.

Was surprised though to find the brake lights use a large wedge shaped bulb with dual filaments - never seen one before, as previous cars have all used the metal based bayonet type bulbs with dual filaments. Mine was the Jap built model - not sure if the French built ones used conventional brake light bulbs?

• 9 years later...

It may be 10years since your post be thankyou so much for your help in changing a side light bulb Without your post I would have been unable to change the bulb.

Thanks again

John Preedy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links