Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Lowering Spring

BarryIQ

So I have bought a set of 25mm Toyota lowering spring from Raj a few weeks ago. Installed them onto my IQ like 2 weeks ago.

Somehow the spring does not seems to settle... The front spring has been settle to slightly lower than the original spring but the rear looks even higher than the original one...

I have no idea how long it is gonna take for them to settle to their designed height... Anyone can share some experience? At least comfort me by telling me they will eventually settle one day :crybaby:

So I have bought a set of 25mm Toyota lowering spring from Raj a few weeks ago. Installed them onto my IQ like 2 weeks ago.

Somehow the spring does not seems to settle... The front spring has been settle to slightly lower than the original spring but the rear looks even higher than the original one...

I have no idea how long it is gonna take for them to settle to their designed height... Anyone can share some experience? At least comfort me by telling me they will eventually settle one day :crybaby:

If these springs does not lower your car by 25mm ask him the bill and return them to toyota

Now that you have taken off your original springs and put on other springs that is supposed to lower your car. Well, my personal view and I say this after numerous experiences trying to lower my other cars, in my opinion, I don't think anyone should try to lower their car themselves the only time I would get a car that was lowered is that if it came from the factory as a lower option when the car has been made.

It could be in some cases that you need to change your shock absorbers as well to get the lowered effect. I can assure you I've been there and done it and it is extremely frustrating, even when I have managed to get some kind of lowered effect the car never seems to be the same, you go over bumps an it sounds like old bed springs. I would sugggest you put back on your original springs and leave well alone. Lowering cars is not so easy as you think whatever people tell you.

Mr Ben

May sound a strange suggestion, but are the springs the correct way up ?

(Not as silly as it seems. Old MacPhe Ford struts you could make that mistake and led to all sorts of intresting handling possibilities, until the fault was found.)

Rgds

Thanks Ben, this will probably be the last time I try to lower my car...

Tony, I got what you mean but I've got this done by a professional garage who install spring for sport car all the time.

And I even got the installation menu for them just in case the IQ one is alittle bit special. Plus I got one of their boss to install for me due because I got some relation and he got like 20 years experience.

So the chance is very slim if the problem is on the installation.

We had the Toyota lowering springs fitted by the dealer and they were settled at the new height straight away. Hope that helps.

We had the Toyota lowering springs fitted by the dealer and they were settled at the new height straight away. Hope that helps.

Do you think you can measure your height after lower so I can compare?

Hey Barry,

I lowered my Iq last month with Eibacher springs, very good result I must say, I also put spaces on the wheels, 15 mm per wheel,

It has become a different car, no more tilting in corners, handles very good now.

Zij-voor-na.jpg

Hey Barry,

I lowered my Iq last month with Eibacher springs, very good result I must say, I also put spaces on the wheels, 15 mm per wheel,

It has become a different car, no more tilting in corners, handles very good now.

Zij-voor-na.jpg

ruud what spacers did you use mate :)

I have looked at the IQ spring instruction menu and found that a spring compressor tool is required. I am wondering my car didn't lower because the workshop didn't use this tool.

Anyone know what else could go wrong during the installation process that can lead to the spring won't lower?

As far as I am aware, and my experience with lowering springs the spring compressor tool is only used to take off the springs from the shock exorbers and to put them back on. As I've said previously, in some cases you need to change the shock exorbers as well as the springs. Also, it could be depending on the springs you buy for example, as the picture shows above this member managed to lower his car and I think he used well established lowering springs from Germany. I know its too late now as you have already attempted to lower your springs but it would have been wiser if you had known someone who has achieved the result that you are looking to achieve and then buy the same springs or shockers that they have done. I previously owned an Audi A2 and on the Audi Forum there was great discussion about lowering the car and in the Audi A2's case you had to change the springs and replace the shockers to achieve the lowering affect.

A spring compressor is used to compress strut springs so that the strut can be removed without the spring flying off the strut and injuring or killing a person. There are also companies that make springs for most car models, that have the ability to make shorter springs. Whether these companies would do that for I person is debatable, because some companies do not want the liability, should there be an accident etc.

Glen

i was going to change my drivers seat ,for the new ajustable one, but mr t told me if i do that it would invalidate my warrenty even when i ask them to supply and fit the seat .so surely that applies to lowering springs to? as any modifications will.

The compressor tool has got nothing to do with the lowering of the car, when you lower the car the new spring is shorter than the original spring so getting the new spring on the shocker is just a matter of pushing down hard on the spring. It just when you release the old spring that it may spring of but its not going to kill you unless you realy unlucky.

ruud what spacers did you use mate :)

Hi Manton, sorry for the late answer. I said Eibacher, but that should be Eibach, for both springs and spacers.

The problem with mounting of the spacers is that the bolts are not long enough. You have to push them out and replace with new longer ones.

I used 15mm spacers, any thicker makes the car to wide, because I want the widened look, but keep the standard tires for economic purposes.

Regards,

Ruud

thanks ruud, will take that into account, im having my car lowered with 35mm H&R's on Thursday so will see how it looks then :)

The garage who has done the installation job for me said I can bring my car and the original spring back and they can have a look with it...

I doubt it is gonna help :(

It's not just the mm's for the looks, the handling improves a lot, but the comfort is a bit reduced. The annoying tilting in corners is gone now.

Handles like a kart now. Very good. But the garage told me that Eibach is a very good brand for lowering springs, there are other brands who just heat up the original springs to lowe them, but Eibach makes them specially for each make and model.

After a month, the front spring seems to have lowered by an observable length. However the rear wheel has remained at the same height :(

Might take some more time to settle...

It takes up to 1000 miles for the springs to settle properly, my Aygo looked like a monster truck for a month before they settled. Obviously because the car is so light it takes a while, if you drove around with passengers in the back often I'd imagine they would settle a lot quicker.

I just always choose route with speedbumps

Well... loading stuff and make the car heavier might help... Since I hardly have passenger at the back, maybe I should put some load there till the spring settle :rolleyes:

Any expert here can prove if the assumption is correct or not?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links