Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To Get Fit...

Jimlad

Ok..... I'm considering becoming a fire fighter !! ( mainly for the bedroom uniform sorta thing.. lol )

But I need to get myself seriously fit first. I'm not terribly unfit... but at the same time I'm not fit. ( does that make sense? ).

How long do you reckon it would take... any suggestions as to what to do also ? Gonna join the local gym.

cheers for any info..... fireman Jim reporting for duty.

If you can get hold of a cassette of a bleep test (shuttle run) that would be a massive benefit to you. It's about one of the most knackering things you can do! You'll need to be able to get up to level 10 to be a dead cert for the Fire Service.

To be a firefighter to do need a relatively high level of fitness and satmina as well as strength (to lift people and handle the kick from those powerful high pressure hoses), so if you join a gym just make sure you spend equal amounts of time on the weights and out running (cross country is so much better than a running machine). All the usual stuff is a good place to start - Press ups, sit ups, bench presses...

You'll do well to get in - It's not easy, but best of luck. I was doing alot of fitness related stuff a while back in the hope of joining, but because 20/20 vision is a neccesity and it turned out I can't afford to have laser eye surgery done, I'm a bit buggered.

hi jim,

By joining the gym you've made a pretty decent start, but it is just a start!

You need to be completely dedicated and focused if you want to become fit enough to qualify as a fireman, and as funk has stated it's equally as important to have enough stamina to back up the muscle you require to lug people around and battle with the hoses... it's a gruelling job physically.

You actually need a level of fitness that rivals the marines in reality;

I would suggest that you set up a strict routine/schedule that keeps your exercise varied enough to maintain your interest and fuel your desire to get to where you want to be.

Boxing, swimming, running, weight lifting - you need to putting all of those physically demanding exercises into action in a beneficial way.

Of course that is only half of it... you must eat properly if you intend to see results quicker, that means no fast food, huge cut down on alcohol and enough protein to give you more muscle mass.

Think of your body as an engine m8, what you put in in decides how well it runs... i.e. optimax vs unleaded (a loose example).

It's a lifestyle that you're taking onboard m8 not just a job, lots of respect from me if you decide to go down this route!

If you're serious about it.... I would say that you could be ready within 4-6 months... maybe more maybe less depending on how quickly you develop and how much dedication you put into it.

and if you want any help setting up a decent schedule then just give me a pm and i'll see what we can sort out :)

sam

Whoa whoa whoa, a level of fitness that rivals the marines! C'mon the man wants to be a fireman, not superman.

There seems to be this big thing about the forces that requires u to be super fit and strong. Once you pass the initial test, u dont have to maintain a fitness level (not incl Army, routine checks etc). Not 'dissing' anyone, but, have you seen the state of the majority of policemen and firemen? They're fat as f :censor: k, most struggle to make it to the bar, let alone carry the pint back!

Seriously tho, i have complete and utter faith in ne1 that wants to 'get fit', running 2/3 per wk (aim to run for at least 30mins) Basic running (on grass, not road, you'll knacker ur joints, knees/ankles etc in no time). Go to the gym, throw some weights around.

After 3wks u'll notice a change easily. Keep this up and then u want to increase to say fartleg running, specific muscle training (on the weights).

I eat whatever and whenever, a nice source of protein is needed tho for muscle building/recovery.

Drink fluids regulary.....

Ill post again when uve started and want more info! Just pm or email whatever!

Good luck :thumbsup:

The way I see it, if you're gonna do something then do it properly...

jim said he wants to get himself seriously fit, I told him some of the ways to go about it;

exercise and results varies enormously from person to person, with genes and lifestyles etc

I would agree though that he would certainly feel fitter if nothing else after 3 weeks... if he wants to get enough quickly though he needs alot of dedication and focus and should be exercising different muscles every day of the week

i.e. when he's not running he should be weight training. The only danger is over training a muscle... which is why weight lifters/athletes deserve admiration for finding that fine balance etc

I think it'd be a good thing to do jim, good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Can't help with the keep fit jimlad, ( I get out of breath when my nose runs!) but go for it. :thumbsup:

1057v.gif

Just to warn ya...

Hope you aint got any points for speedin as my mate got declined after passin all the tests.. just because of 3 !Removed! points! :ffs:

sorry chappers I didn't mean to get offensive (looking at the post it was a bit sharp)

:group-cuddles:

my point was that jim needs to be on an intensive schedule if he wants to be fit enough quickly (i.e. 4 months)

I find that most people see the most results in that 4 month period anyway, after 4 months you really have to rotate the exercises and find different ways to keep developing muscles that have been 'maxed out' with certain exercises/routines..

so I just think that it'd be good for jim to do a whole range of sport/exercise to develop as quick as he physically can :thumbsup:

but i can tell you jim... it's not easy!

but i can tell you jim... it's not easy!

Your not wrong their Sam, once a year i have to do a 5 day refresher fire-fighting/prevention course due to my job and i lose about a stone and a half in those few days, middle of summer, full fire suit and ba on, dragging a line through and up 3 storeys and then tackling the fire(undisclosed fire source just to make it interesting) and you can't see 1 foot in front of you all the time. I'm !Removed! knackered by the time i get out but the pro's have hardly broke sweat(gits :lol: ).

To be fair though they did say they wouldn't do my job as if a fire brakes out you have no choice but fight it, they turn up at a incident, check the fire and if their are any person's in the building, if not and it is to far gone they let it go whilst trying to protect any ajoining properties. I work on oil tankers so don't get that option :(

Good luck Jimlad, tis a good job if your up for it :thumbsup:

hi ken, good to see u on here again chap :yes:

Still about Sam but that nasty Steve gives me to much to do and with me trying to get a few things done to the car and juggle everything else about i haven't been posting much.

Nearly sent you a pm when you said goodbye but i knew you would be lurking about still so didn't :P

Am sorting the next northern mini meet somewhere near you, fancy coming? (Soz Jim, last 2 posts off topic, Sam pm me if you fancy coming and let me know any dates you can't make it :thumbsup: ).

*BACK ON TOPIC :lol: *

Jimlad, last time i heard(well North Yorkshire anyway), they had 6000 peeps apply for 2 jobs, does the same go for your neck of the woods?

It's also important to rest to get fit too! I see so many people down the gym who don't rest and some of them look terrible in a fit kind of way. This is important when doing weights, you need to let your muscles recover. As been mentioned, concentrate on weights one day, then cardio the next etc.

One of the best ways to build up your upper body strength and stamina is to use your own body weight. Chin ups and dips are a good way to go. These can be boring, so finding a sport you enjoy would be good to improve general fitness. If you want a good/fun way to strengthen your legs I would suggest snowboarding, it !Removed! hurts especially when learning! worked for me :thumbsup:

The most important single point is motivation and frame of mind. Even after a hard day at work, forcing yourself to go down the gym is rewarding in the end. Keep at it!

Joe

I work on oil tankers so don't get that option :(

Ken, if a fire breaks out on your tanker, its swimming lessons you need not firefighting :lol: :P

Sorry, back on topic :ph34r:

Good luck Jim, I remember a few years ago a mate training to join the military police. He did it in about 6 months I think, haven't seen him for a while so not sure of his fitness level now, but at the time I used to run 7 mile every morning, now the most strenuous thing I do is lift a pint glass or bend to pick up my packet of Silk Cut whilst eating a meat pie :lol:

bst advice is to do more than lift weights in a gym.. that'll build strength but little 'fast twitch' muscle stamina..

about 2 years ago i weighed 19st, had dangerously high blood pressure from the age of 24 (now 28). I took up Lau Gar Kickboxing with a mate who was a copper. He dropped out, I carried on and have gained 5 belts. In the meantime I am now just over 15st, still a big ***** but am the fittest I have ever been in my life. The training is a combination of aerobic fitness, style and technique and then a mixture of full contact, semi light contact and points sparring.

I used to go to the gym but unless you have a training group - ie people to go with it gets boring and you really have to motivate yourself to go.. With martial arts it becomes a respect thing with your instructor - it's very social as well - I actually feel guilty if I miss a class.. not to mention there's usually a few lovely ladies jumping around.. ;)

Ken, if a fire breaks out on your tanker, its swimming lessons you need not firefighting :lol: :P

Swimming in the mid atlantic, <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> you, rather keep warm meself :D

Last big un it took 6 hours to put out due to it's location, touch and go all the time but with a choice of getting in the rafts in winter or having a go, i'd rather have a go as it's warmer :lol:

Swimming in the mid atlantic, <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> you, rather keep warm meself :D

Last big un it took 6 hours to put out due to it's location, touch and go all the time but with a choice of getting in the rafts in winter or having a go, i'd rather have a go as it's warmer :lol:

:eek: You got my respect mate, not just for ya motor either :thumbsup:

I started to go to the gym to lose weight and get fit. After about 4/5 months I really noticed the difference and lost one and a half stone. Then I stopped going for about 4 months due to work and general life getting in the way and all my hard work went down the drain !!! :crybaby: I've just started back but it's hard to get motivated to actually get to the gym, but I will get there.

When I was in my teens I went to the gym nearly every night and did the

concentrate on weights one day, then cardio the next etc.

routine funny this time I never trained ike that, But having just been reminded by that post I think I'll go back to that style of training I was much fitter and got there quicker doing it that way.

Thanks for the reminder.

And Jim the uniform is sooooooooo horney (am I allowed to say that?)

Kaz

I've got a mate who does it, he says its the BA stuff that really kills - serious temps.

Apparently they have to chuck their kit off & throw them in water after coz it's that hot. :help:

If you can get hold of a cassette of a bleep test (shuttle run) that would be a massive benefit to you. It's about one of the most knackering things you can do! You'll need to be able to get up to level 10 to be a dead cert for the Fire Service.

Jesus, we used to have to do that at school! i used to detest it. i remember the 1st time i did it, i was properly trying, got up to level 7, then had the overwhelming desire to throw up, which i did (we'd just had lunch). :lol:

it is hard, though.

piece of :censor: although I can do the 100m in 10.2 :-).

Fitness is all to do with recovery. The faster you can recover from hard exercicse the fitter you are. Nothing to do with strength of speed or endurance. They are factors but not really a measure of fitness

Being a fireman is not all to do with how fit you ar, but state of mind. Sure you have to have a level of fitness, but it's not the bee all and end all.

I would say forget the gym. What does that really give you???? you never really get your heart rate up...you hardly move anywhere, you don't really get "fit" from a gym.

You need to get your heart rate over 180 bpm at least.

Fartlec runing... or yes the bleep test is good. Easiest way to improve fitness, and strenthen the heart and reduce recovery times is fartlec. Find a good road with regular lapmposts... then warm up well...then jog one lamp post...sprint (80% effort) the next...jog the next...sprint the next... etc You'll be surprised how much fitter you become..bascially becasue your heart is rate up is high for 30 secs...then low...then high...then low. Strenghtens it no end, you'll feel like crap at first...and I gurantee after just a few weeks you'll feel great.

Vipes

good advice viper... to run the 100m in 10secs i imagine ur pretty well built anyway... :thumbsup:

I used to be a quick sprinter also before I snapped tendons out of my knee cap :(

but anyone considering being a fireman does need a certain amount of muscle in order to lug people and hoses, axes etc for long periods of time.... and of course he needs the stamina/endurance as you've mentioned

it's hard to pinpoint exactly what jim should be doing, but he surely can't go wrong with a combination of muscle mass and endurance training for the job he's applying for :group-cuddles:

sam

take up some boxing m8. I'll pretty much guarantee u'll be in shape to be a fire fighter if u join the right type of jim.

boxing will help develop speed & power, as well as awarness.

plus with some1 pushing u, and the fact that u dont want to get beaten up i think u'll have plenty of motivation. Alternatively u could just join a david lloyd's gym, jog on the runner's and watch the sweet birds going for a swim... :yes:

-Z

I'll also vouch that boxing will have you fighting fit (excuse the pun) in no time :thumbsup:

boxing is one of the hardest sports going!

throwing punches with all your strength, getting smacked by some hard punches, fighting non stop for 3 minutes a round x 12 rounds... ouch.