Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Query

rich  avensis

Hi all,

Would appreciate any knowledge on rear brakes. I recently had a rear caliper replaced (after it seized on) on my 2001 avensis. As I left the garage after fixing, I noticed the hand brake now comes on virtually as soon as you lift it a few millimetres. Driving today I was flicking through my trip computer and the fuel consumption on the car looked pretty poor (but could be influenced by figures whilst caliper seized). This got me thinking and on arrival at destination there was heat being given off by the rear brakes (enough to make the wheel metal work warm but not hot to touch) and the slight smell of brake pad (but not as bad as when the caliper seized).

Is this normal? is it just the brakes bedding in? or is the sensitive handbrake a good indicator that the pads are rubbing?

thanks in advance

Rich

Your hand brake should not come on until at least a few clicks are heard from the hand brake lever.

The hand brake and foot brake are totally separate systems.

Did the garage change the hand brake shoes, but forgot to adjust them?

You should talk to the garage before doing any further driving.

Hi all,

Would appreciate any knowledge on rear brakes. I recently had a rear caliper replaced (after it seized on) on my 2001 avensis. As I left the garage after fixing, I noticed the hand brake now comes on virtually as soon as you lift it a few millimetres. Driving today I was flicking through my trip computer and the fuel consumption on the car looked pretty poor (but could be influenced by figures whilst caliper seized). This got me thinking and on arrival at destination there was heat being given off by the rear brakes (enough to make the wheel metal work warm but not hot to touch) and the slight smell of brake pad (but not as bad as when the caliper seized).

Is this normal? is it just the brakes bedding in? or is the sensitive handbrake a good indicator that the pads are rubbing?

thanks in advance

Rich

There is a hole in the rear drum part of the disc that gives access to an adjusting wheel. Turn it until the the brake does not catch when turned.

Fitter

I think you might find that your garage has either used the incorrect grease on the guide pins or possibly even fitted the bottom spring in the handbrake *****.incorrectly, ie has over extended it or even back to front and therefore had to over adjust the handbrake in order for it to operate at an acceptable level. But handbrake is not actuated via the calliper but works directly from the lever and cable and gravity determines whether its required forwards or backwards. I hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links