Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid

Mr_T_Sport

Hi all

Im thinking Of upgrading my brake lines to the Black Diamond braided lines that Fensport are selling, so obviously will be changing my brake fluid! First question is how much fluid do i need? Most bottles come on 0.5L, is this enough? Also i have been looking at Millers racing 300 plus brake fluid, but it says only suitable for racing use! Am i right in thinking that such brake fluids will be ok for normal road use.

Cheers :thumbsup:

I bought A one litre bottle of 5.1 from Halfords when I fitted my Black Diamond braided lines, that was just enough...just

But my pads were pretty worn, so that would have a effect on it, when I changed my discs and pads I had to take some fluid out to lower it to the Maximum line.

Unless you are racing, one litre of 5.1 brake fluid will be fine for the job, dont bother with racing grade fluids, it is not needed

Kingo :thumbsup;

Sorry to jump on, but since i changed the brake pads, the fluid level gone over tha maximum line. will it do any harm?

Ok cheers everyone. :thumbsup: I thought we can only use dot 4 in the t sport, im sure i read somewhere that using 5.1 will damage the system.

Sorry to jump on, but since i changed the brake pads, the fluid level gone over tha maximum line. will it do any harm?

use a syringe or something to remove the fluid to the maximum level. easy fix.

I used a liter when i bled my brakes, i get brake fluid free so i dont mind using more.

But as above you will need 0.5ltr

• 4 months later...

Can 5.1 be used or not for these cars?

Can 5.1 be used or not for these cars?

yeah will be fine the DOT is just the boiling point of the fluid 5.1 being the highest for road use :thumbsup:

5.1 is fine, it has better anti corrosion properties to keep VSC, EBD, ABS etc in check on modern cars

Kingo :thumbsup:

5.1 is fine, it has better anti corrosion properties to keep VSC, EBD, ABS etc in check on modern cars

firstly can i use DOT5.1 in my 2.0d4d and secondly will i see a difference in my braking after the change?

firstly can i use DOT5.1 in my 2.0d4d and secondly will i see a difference in my braking after the change?

yep will be fine :thumbsup:

as for a difference, maybe if you do a lot of heavy breaking as the fluid has a higher boiling point, so if you do a lot of heavy breaking and boil the brake fluid,it boils which releses a gas, gas is compressible which ends up in vapour lock and a spongy pedal and as that gas hits the brake lines it then cools and condenses, brake fluid being hygroscopic absorbs this moisture and waters down the brake fluid resulting in a lower boiling point and quicker brake fade :thumbsup:

don't get DOT 5.1 confused with DOT5, if you use DOT 5 you'll need a whole new brake system.

on't get DOT 5.1 confused with DOT5, if you use DOT 5 you'll need a whole new brake system.

yep :crybaby: no good in cars with abs

does the ".1" make so much difference? and thanks for the heads up!

If I go to the stealer and ask for a brake fluid change will they use DOT 4?

does the ".1" make so much difference? and thanks for the heads up!

If I go to the stealer and ask for a brake fluid change will they use DOT 4?

yeah, dot 5 is silicon based and is hydrophobic, 5.1 is polyethylene glycol based which is hygroscopic.

toyota will use whatever toyota say to use unless you tell them you want something else put in, shouldnt be a problem though :thumbsup:

Yes you can, and no you wont

Yes 5.1 is fine for your car but if anybody tells you you will feel a change afterwards, they are yanking your chain :eek: You should feel no difference at all, that is, if the brake system was in good working order in the first place

I'm afraid I don't fall for the "Fit this product and your car is transformed into a supercar" theory. Normal, standard, genuine parts will be more than good enough for 99% of drivers on the road. I have worked for far too long in the motor trade :rolleyes:

Yes 5.1 is fine for your car but if anybody tells you you will feel a change afterwards, they are yanking your chain :eek: You should feel no difference at all, that is, if the brake system was in good working order in the first place

I'm afraid I don't fall for the "Fit this product and your car is transformed into a supercar" theory. Normal, standard, genuine parts will be more than good enough for 99% of drivers on the road. I have worked for far too long in the motor trade :rolleyes:

Would you notice a difference tho if your brake fluid change was long over due? Some good knowledge so cheers guys :thumbsup:

Would you notice a difference tho if your brake fluid change was long over due? Some good knowledge so cheers guys

yes you would probably notice it in the way that you would have a firmer pedal with less travel and if you do brake heavily it will not fade as quickly :thumbsup:

whilst I appreciate what Parts King has said.

I will point out that if you go and take your car around the nurburgring on a hot day, you will notice the difference between DOT 5.1 and DOT3. Once the brakes get hot and I mean seriously hot the DOT 3 will start to boil and the pedal will get a bit longer until it cools down.

Would you notice a difference tho if your brake fluid change was long over due? Some good knowledge so cheers guys :thumbsup:

Lol is 6.5 years overdue enough for you? the old man who had my car from new looked after it like a baby, yet there is no documentation to suggest any brake fluid changes having been done...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links