Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Power & Lots Of Smoke

Roxton

Hi

I have a 2003 Avensis T3 D4D. It's been an excellent car, & had it for 4 yrs. Was on M62 & going up hill when the car slowed up alot more than usual. My spped slowed so much I went from the outside lane to the hard shoulder. Now doing 30 & changed to 3rd gear & put foot down. Lots of greay somke for a while then black smoke & the car took off! This kept on happening all the way home. (another 45mins)

Any ideas of a DIY fix. I keep reading ERG valve? Can I clean or fix? If so any help?

I'm new to site so don't know if i've given enough info, if not please let me know.

Cheers

Roy.

Hi

I have a 2003 Avensis T3 D4D. It's been an excellent car, & had it for 4 yrs. Was on M62 & going up hill when the car slowed up alot more than usual. My spped slowed so much I went from the outside lane to the hard shoulder. Now doing 30 & changed to 3rd gear & put foot down. Lots of greay somke for a while then black smoke & the car took off! This kept on happening all the way home. (another 45mins)

Any ideas of a DIY fix. I keep reading ERG valve? Can I clean or fix? If so any help?

I'm new to site so don't know if i've given enough info, if not please let me know.

Cheers

Roy.

Hi! Can you check the Turbo and intercooler pipes to make sure they are connected and tight?

You will generally get loads of white or grey smoke and a dramatic loss of power if one becomes disconnected.

Yours is a little unusual as you regained power, normally this doesn't happen.

Colin

Disconnected intercooler would cause constant performance problems.

your problem is probably the EGR valve.

you need to search the forum plenty of threads.

Thanks for the replies chaps

I will take off & clean. I have seen a very descriptive stripdown & clean of the vavle on here BUT it must be a later model than mine as it looks different & in different location.

Are there any step by step ins' that you know of? I still can't find a repair manual for the car. Do you know of one?

Thanks

Roy.

Hi

Cheers

Roy.

Roy,

I had the very same problem with my car 6 weeks ago. My car is the same as yours...a 2003 Toyota Avensis d4d. I was on the motorway too and the very same happened to me. I later found out the problem was dodgey diesel....agricultural diesel with the dye taken out of it by chemicals. Needless to say, i have not gone back to the garage where i got the dodgey diesel and all is fine again. Just watch where you get your diesel from.

Collie.

To Roxton.

As suggested above, cleaning your EGR valve will do no harm atall. Just wondering when you had this problem,did you have the the following effects, no engine warning light on & engine did not want to rev for a while, perhaps sticking around 2/2500rpm ? If so, may well be your EGR valve which is electronically controlled.

Regards, Beagh.

To Roxton.

Apologies. To remove EGR valve, remove airbox and you will see valve bolted to rear of cylinder (opposite side to cambelt) head via 2 nuts & a bolt. Also has two small bore water pipes connected to each side of unit. Upon removing pipes, shove a screwdriver into each hose to stop any water loss.

Regards, Beagh.

Thanks to one & all. Car now sorted!!

Removed EGR after a while. The push roinside was jammed solid. It was was full of carbon. I treated the valve & the manifold to get rid of what I could.

After putting it back together the car would not start. I tried "quick start" from a can & hey presto it sprung in to life. I did disconnect the glow plugs first.

It ran rough for 2 miles & I thought I had not cured it. The next day I tried it again. It sprang in to life first go put no revs when I had my foot to the floor. "Oh no " I thought, but it burst in to life after 30-40 sec's. It drove perfectly from then on & has done since. A mechanic has said I may have had a dodgy tank of fuel (Tesco).

Fingers crossed

Roy.

exact same happened me in my rolla, went on for several weeks untill it became dangerous.

i could be driving up the motorway and suddenly loose the power, pull into the hard shoulder, thought the car was going to stall, rev it, few puffs of smoke and away again,

but one day i was pulling onto a roundabout when power died and a car coming.

anyway, turned out to be dirty diesel, had to get a new fuel pump, then had to clean out my egr as mpg's werent right, then i broke electrical pins cleaning egr, just got new valve fitted last week, €340

Hi

Just an update. Has been 5 days sice cleaning the EGR valve & since then done quite a few miles with lots of power & no smoke!

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Roy.

Hi

Just an update. Has been 5 days sice cleaning the EGR valve & since then done quite a few miles with lots of power & no smoke!

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Roy.

hi Roy

The moral is that the contra pressure from exhaust is your enemy.

Good luck/Igor

Oh no " I thought, but it burst in to life .... It drove perfectly from then on & has done since.

Hi,

I would say: That's as expected.

An EGR is there to recirculate exhaust gas into the cylinders, in an attempt to burn off the mug that you (and the rest of the population) do not want to inhale yourself.

It's one of the "solutions" that car manufacturers implement on Diesel engines to comply with regulations.

Unfortunately, these solutions do not always work correctly, for various reasons.

When the EGR valve gets clogged up, exhaust gas is no longer recirculated (or "cleaned").

The result is, that the entire exhaust system, catalyst, dampers etc. get clogged and after a while will look the same as the internals of the EGR and manifold.

Cleaning the EGR valve and inlet manifold, the visible parts of the path, is only step one.

After said parts have been manually cleaned, exhaust gas is recirculated again but it takes a while for the engine to burn off the mug in those part of the exhaust system that you could not clean.

An "Italian maintenance run" does the job, and you can inhale in concentrated form what today's Diesel technology miserably failed to achieve. :(

Anyway, glad it works again.

It's not your fault.