Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Squeaking Drive Belt Phenomena.

dave bennett

I'm referring of course to the grooved belt, that drives the various engine components (ie, alternator, water pump, etc).

I've had my Y reg Avensis for a few months now, and the belt has recently started getting noisy. The probable causes are well documented in the various threads devoted to this problem (which is not exclusive to Avensis), so I know I will have to change the belt in due course. The thing is, the belt on mine appears to be quite serviceable at the moment, just noisy (and it is the belt which is the cause, as I've done the 'spraying the belt' test of course)

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I found that the belt sqeak disappeared after spraying it with a silicon based spray, but reappeared after a day or so. So I thought I'd try a non lubricating, but cleansing, alternative.

I sprayed it with brake cleaner (Halfords own brand in this case), and the squeak has been absent for several days thus far, or about 150 miles. I applied the spray quite liberally at tickover, and to the inside (ie, grooved part) of the belt.

I've read that a glaze can form on both the belt and the pulley grooves, which can lead to slippage, hence noise. So maybe the brake cleaner has shifted some of this. But time will tell, of course.

I'm regarding it as a quick fix, but if it keeps on working, I'll be delighted of course.

Worth a try, anyway. :)

All the best, DB.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links