Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning Chip Review From Germany

Crasstoe

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a "Tuning Box" from a company in Germany - I wont disclose which at this stage as I want to test it first so I know whether to rate or slate them.

The company claims an increase from 126bhp to 165bhp, and 300nm to 383nm or torque, this is on the pre-facelift 2.0 D4D.

Personally I have found vast improvements with the drive-ability of a diesel engined car after a piggy back box has been fitted, for example my previous Jeep Cherokee.

I'll let you all know how it goes when it arrives.

As always kind Regards,

Chris

That is a BIG increase and I am a little sceptical about the figures, but it's how it drives that matters

We sell these tuning boxes and people whilst people need evidence to know what the box can produce, it's how the car feels and drives that matters

Let us know your thoughts after fitting it?

Kingo :thumbsup:

That is a BIG increase and I am a little sceptical about the figures, but it's how it drives that matters

We sell these tuning boxes and people whilst people need evidence to know what the box can produce, it's how the car feels and drives that matters

Let us know your thoughts after fitting it?

Kingo :thumbsup:

hi kingo

nice holiday,feel refreshed ?

I agree very big claims, however should they be even slightly true I'll be impressed.

Should arrive tomorrow.

I wont be able to verify the power change as I have no access to a rolling road, and having never dynoed the car it would be difficult to state the increase, but I am after smoother delivery and a bit more grunt low down... so fingers crossed :D

hi kingo

nice holiday,feel refreshed ?

31 Degrees last week, minus 6 this week, nuff said :lol:

Just a quick note to say that I have received the chip and will be fitting soon :)

Got home to a nice package :D Sorry for the quality but my camera is naff!

155416_10150099055101163_539161162_7888010_6028558_n.jpg

Horribly cheesy box

155106_10150099055151163_539161162_7888011_8032455_n.jpg

Contents were the Unit itself, Cable, Intructions, Various sales leaflets, an invoice and at the top right a small bag of Haribo :)

150039_10150099055226163_539161162_7888012_4089255_n.jpg

I will fit tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I fitted one of these nearly two years ago. Still loving the increase in power and fuel economy. I'm sure you too will enjoy your new add-on.

@Wastedagen: Where did you get yours from? Remember how much you paid?

@Wastedagen: Where did you get yours from? Remember how much you paid?

Yeah i got my from eBay. It came from europe somewhere. I honestly cant remember exactly where in europe but it did cost me £99 plus postage.

Good value for money i think. Still no problems with it. Here's my install review and pics if you're interested. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88781&view=findpost&p=858841

Thanks for that link, mine is a little different, I have 2 dials when I crack it open, one is how aggressive I want the Tune, and the other how far up or down I want the turbo to kick in on the Rev Range - very useful. (at least this is what it seems to be doing!)

I haven't tuned the power yet but setting the turbo to kick in at 1600 revs rather than 2200 is a massive improvement - the flat spots are now gone, not much faster but I plan on having a play with the dials tonight to see what I can get out of it.

I'm pleased as it stands at the moment but I want to see what it can really do, and if it can reach the claimed gains, watch this space :)

Well just got home from an interesting drive from work, stopped every few minutes to tweak the box but F##King hell its good! I can't vouch for numbers but keep the thing between 1800-3000 rpm and the little Auris flies! Definately impressed with this and would highly recommend. I have it now set to a steady medium between performance and economy and it must be said that it certainly delivers on both.

The site is http://www.racechip.de/ and I purchased the RaceChipPro (a bit more but gives you the 2 dials!).

Just for good reading here is the figures they suggest for the 2.2 SR180;

162733_10150099623221163_539161162_7894793_2143358_n.jpg

Overall a big thumbs up :)

Explained the changes I intended to make and the claimed gains, they took the max figures and used those for the premium, they agreed that it would be similar to the SR180 so my insurance is processed as such... so my premium went up £15!

I'm with Kwik-Fit, but I cannot guarantee all companies will be as kind (I've been with them now for 3 years straight and have a loyalty card).

I fitted one of Kingo's (parts king) chips to our T180 and again the car went like stink but even driving very steady we noticed a high drop in MPG and the reason we bought the chip was for an MPG increase so we sent it back for a refund. What I will say it seemed a very good piece of kit but there is a big big price difference to what you have paid so if yours continues to work fine and produce good MPG results then we may look at this again for at around £120 it is not an expensive item, it may be worth to mention that a lot of users have found these cheaper boxes light the dash up like a Christmas tree after a few weeks and put the car into limp mode. Our insurance (Aviva) also charged us no extra for this upgrade so that was a bonus so will be interested in future reports / review of how you get on with this and MPG differences when drove the same as before, I will also add that when we tried Kingo's box my wife did 90% of the driving and like most wife's she drives very careful and not with a lead foot and just like this did not work for us with MPG its strange that on other cars you get a big MPG increase if drove sensible just like some T180 / SR180 owners easily get 40+mpg and some only get 30+mpg and will add we used to get 40+ easy enough but for the last 12months we have struggled to get 35mpg yet can not pin point why.

• Like 1

No lights on dash here, so good so far.

I plan on cleaning the EGR Valve soon as the car has had bad lag and slightly lower mpg from the day I got it, maybe yours needs a clean too?

No lights on dash here, so good so far.

I plan on cleaning the EGR Valve soon as the car has had bad lag and slightly lower mpg from the day I got it, maybe yours needs a clean too?

no mate was checked and cleaned 2 weeks ago and even bought a special spray to clean the MAF

See how this box goes over the next few weeks - I'm biased because there was Haribo in my box :D

See how this box goes over the next few weeks - I'm biased because there was Haribo in my box :D

I don't mean anything bad or doubt the box I am just saying of the problems I know that some users a few years ago were having with these type of boxes

I understand :) Fingers crossed I don't get any - I'll keep this thread updated

No dash board lights either. A 6mpg increase in fuel economy giving me on average 550 miles out of the tank. Driving sensibly of course.

Althought my insure company put my premium up £60. Which at the time i didnt think much off it because direct line wanted to nearly double my premuim to just under £500. So i went with Adrian Flux.

• 2 months later...

Well time for an update - had this box fitted since 29th November and still no issues. Fuel Economy has gone up now to an average of 46mpg (driving round town, and both B and A Roads). I'm hitting high 50s on the motorway, and managed to average 59mpg on a drive to Durham sticking at 75mph, so very happy indeed.

The box still impresses, and having turned the dial up a little bit more the push in your seat when the throttle is "used like a man" (as my dad put it) is still very pleasant.

I plan on another update later in the year.

Interesting topic..

Usually when increasing power or torque in particular causes the following:

Clutch to slip

Stress on the flywheel

Oil useage

Rocker cover/head gasket issues

Turbo seals/wheel to loose its balance

Tyre wear

Traction issues in the wet

As you have mentioned your boost is coming in much earlier getting rid of the horrible turbo lag, abit like having a VTEC controller making the power come in earlier, must be much better to drive. Diesels are not designed to be reved, your box seems to be doing it what it should in the lower rev range which is exactly what you want in a diesel engine.

Is the 2.0 Engine a strong unit?

Keep us posted I may be taking the same route.

• Like 1

The 2.0 D4D seems capable, and well built, just unrefined. I can't say I have had any of the issues you have listed but only time will tell.

I went for the Pro as the second dial allows you to set the revs and speed the box stops doing its thing, that way the fuel used to accelerate isn't still being injected whilst cruising at high speed, hence the improved performance and fuel economy.

The only downside to this box from what I can tell is where to fit the thing, as the supplied cable is LONG!

Hope the above helps :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links