Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Odometer Reset

Cyker

My dad's Ford Focus' entire dash died last week and we've just gotten it replaced (Got the dash for £70 and took me like, 3 minutes to fit it! :yahoo: Ford wanted £200 for the dash and £150 to fit it! :censor: For 1 plug and 4 bolts! Fitting the XCarlink to my Yaris was more work than that!!)

It seems all well and good aside from one thing: The Odo has been reset to 0!! :eek:

After a brief panic, we took it down to Ford, and apparently this reset is normal as the dash can't be reprogrammed to a specific mileage (Makes sense, to stop fraud etc.), but the mechanics said we don't have to do anything else and that seems a bit weird to me (Again, for fraud reasons!)

I just want to double-check: Is that actually the case then? Or are we actually supposed to notify the DVLA or get something signed or something?

It's just that otherwise, if he sold it next year there'd be a diesel 53-plate Ford Focus floating around with only 7000 or so miles on the clock and no evidence to the contrary aside from a rather dodgy-looking jump in the MOT documents! :eek::lol:

(I'm now also wondering whether this car has done a lot more than the 50k listed on its old dash and had a replacement dash already as the one I took out was very clean! Much cleaner than my Yaris'!! :eek: )

I'm annoyed that Ford haven't had some sort of recall as this is apparently a very common problem, but then this is why I have a Toyota and not a Ford :yahoo:

My dad's Ford Focus' entire dash died last week and we've just gotten it replaced (Got the dash for £70 and took me like, 3 minutes to fit it! :yahoo: Ford wanted £200 for the dash and £150 to fit it! :censor: For 1 plug and 4 bolts! Fitting the XCarlink to my Yaris was more work than that!!)

It seems all well and good aside from one thing: The Odo has been reset to 0!! :eek:

After a brief panic, we took it down to Ford, and apparently this reset is normal as the dash can't be reprogrammed to a specific mileage (Makes sense, to stop fraud etc.), but the mechanics said we don't have to do anything else and that seems a bit weird to me (Again, for fraud reasons!)

I just want to double-check: Is that actually the case then? Or are we actually supposed to notify the DVLA or get something signed or something?

It's just that otherwise, if he sold it next year there'd be a diesel 53-plate Ford Focus floating around with only 7000 or so miles on the clock and no evidence to the contrary aside from a rather dodgy-looking jump in the MOT documents! :eek::lol:

(I'm now also wondering whether this car has done a lot more than the 50k listed on its old dash and had a replacement dash already as the one I took out was very clean! Much cleaner than my Yaris'!! :eek: )

I'm annoyed that Ford haven't had some sort of recall as this is apparently a very common problem, but then this is why I have a Toyota and not a Ford :yahoo:

Ford main stealer, i mean dealer will be able to set the milage correct ( at cost ) if you can prove what the actual milage of teh car is, but leaving it with lower milage than it actualy has could land you in alot of trouble if they think you have deliberately CLOCKED the car.

There are companies who can clock cars, so you should be able to get an aprox mileage set without too much hassle.

congratulations on obtaining your brand new car with private regy !! :lol:

Ford main stealer, i mean dealer will be able to set the milage correct ( at cost ) if you can prove what the actual milage of the car is, but leaving it with lower milage than it actualy has could land you in alot of trouble if they think you have deliberately CLOCKED the car.

Re-checked with Ford; Despite saying they couldn't reset it previously, they now say they can but it'll cost £120 to do it :angry:

The service guy did repeat that it wasn't necessary tho', just said we had to keep the last MOT before the change and the receipt for the new dash...!

Still waiting on a reply from the DVLA <_<

Gah! I really wish I had an authoritative answer; This is not a good time of year to be throwing money at things unnecessarily, esp. since I'm probably going to get made redundant because of all these :censor: cuts :crybaby:

take the cheapest route and do nothing. As long as you keep the MOT certs, then there is proof of the real mileage.

I think we'll do that; The DVLA basically said they don't care as it's nothing to do with them! (??!?!)

There are companies, and as you say, Ford can re-set the mileage to what it was

From a legal point of view, you cannot sell a car with a knowingly different mileage (higher or lower funnily enough) You can sell it but must be honest with the buyer about the miles

It has nothing to do with the DVLA, it's all to do with the Sale of Goods act

Kingo :thumbsup: