Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking Corolla--help!

jeff ruth

My 97 Corolla 1.6 has 60K miles and recently its creaking noise has become more acute. After warming up on road 10-30 minutes I hear the noise, especially at slow speeds when hitting even mild bumps, or when turning the wheel. Sounds like struts/shocks over bumps, and especially comes from the front, but I hope it might be something easier to replace, like bushings on the sway bar.

Can anyone give me some clues as to how I might localize the problem? I do the old push-down-the-fender routine and hear/see nothing unusual about the shocks' response. Without the benefit of a garage's hydraulic lift and tools, can I still do enough rummaging about underneath to figure out whether it's the control arm bushings, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, whatever?

And once I've got the problem figured out, should I need special tools to change pieces? I've done some work (changed calipers, clutch pump, etc.) but my "garage" is always the street, where I have to park the car.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!

Mmm!

My brother had a New Celica in 82 which did it when cold or full lock, so when I got my Camry brand new in 98 and it creaked in the cold I did not worry. (its been in for loads of Toyota Services & MOTs since) and they have never mentioned a problem!

However I did have a Brand new Corolla in 94 & when it was 3 years old make a awful clunk at the rear. The Dealer replaces some bushes for 40 quid & that fixed it!

Hope this helps!

D.

Thanks. Mine creaks when it's NOT cold. Hmm, indeed. What bushes got replaced on yours? Someone else told me to check out the struts up front. What puzzles me is that the thing creaks a bit not just when it bounces up and down but also when I turn it.

j