Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gt4 St185 Problem Error Code 34 Anyone?

shabzgt4rc

hi people needing information on my celica gt4 i was driving last night and the engine light came on suddenly.the car cut power i then did a error code check and came up as 34 the car hesitates around 2k 3k when turbo about to boost.im feeling a little hault as tho somthing is stopping the car everything else seems spot on..ive noticed the car is quiet heavy on petrol even driving normally im getting 40 miles of £20 is this normal??car is still mainly in its standard form apart from exaust bov and air filter if anyone has had the same problem as the error code plz could u tell me thank you ..

Ok i doubt the cold weather is helping much with this, basically to clear the code you need to disconnect the Battery for an hour or pull the efi fuse. Then check all the hoses around the turbo are not split or haven't come off.

As for the fuel consumption it sounds very high, from my 205 i can get just under 100miles from a quarter of a tank.

code 34 is Overboost. could be a sticky actuator, unless you have a manual boost controller.

if you turn the ignition off and start the car again normal service will resume until it hits overboost again.

does your car have a decat on as well as the exhaust? if both are 3" then it could well be boost creep.

depends on the cost of fuel £20 @118.9 per ltr doesn't get you that much fuel TBH. as the air is colder, therefore denser, you may use more fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just pull the EFI fuse in the main engine bay fuse box for 10mins,that'll clear the problem.

Its a boost problem,as Fawbs said the cold weather w've been having lately doesnt help this at all.

ive still having same problems car hesitates around 4 or 5rpm then seems to shoot off all of a sudden seems to be losing power between 1 and 5rpm..error code came up again as number 34..i carb sprayed the vaccum pressure sensor and the afm thers a little nipple in side the intake where the airflow sensor is seems to have black deposits built up inside but cant seem to get it out..once i carb sprayed the afm the car ran fine and was boosting threw all the gears.but now i have the same problem i cant buy a new afm as the normal st185 is differnt to the rc model due to the charge cooler and is quiet a problem to find..is there any way i can clean the afm sensor or will i have to buy a new one???the other thing ive just got my 3inch decat fitted and from the exaust side of the turbo im hearing a tinny sound coming from the decat mechanic said its normal is this true due to the decat??il apreciate anyone giving me any info thank you

Have you got a boost gauge and/or any boost control devices? If it's the code 34 it's not the AFM

the tinny sound is normal on cheap de-cats, did you get it heat wrapped/lagged?

yes i have a boost gauge and a greddy profec b waiting to go on next week and a hks fcd the decat hasnt been lagged yet but will definely do next i bought it along with a large aliminium radiator..engine ran in 450 miles since steel headgasket upgrade along with service just gave it a new oil change and filter 2 days ago using 10w 40 magnatec a3b4.the celica is ready for next stage with proper supporting mods im turning the boost up for the 1st time in 2 years will be blocking the vsv pipes also then raising the boost back up.. i hope the hesitation stops will then keep an eye out for the boost pressure to see if its leaking..do you think it would be the fuel pump i was told it could be??if so i will change to the walbro 255.

it isnt a boost pressure leak it is too much boost. raising the boost level further will only make it worse.

get the boost gauge fitted and then have your profec b fitted and setup on a dyno, safest way

And don't fit the fcd! Turning the boost up without management on these leads to serious overfueling so to be safe I'd at least get a second hand emanage blue for mapping the boosted areas.

If you have a hesitation I'd get that sorted before turning up the boost as you could be making a small problem into a massive one

thanks for the info il bare in mind everything uve told me and will get the hesitation sorted before any further modifications..is the blitz ecu any good??ive seen a few on for sale ranging from £300 pound onwards.ive been thinking of purchasing one will i have to get the ecu mapped if so how much would it cost to map the blitz ecu and setup on a dyno??

As far as I know the blitz ecu's are non-mappable ones which have been mapped in japan for 101RON fuel so if you do want to go for one you'll need to run v-power with octane boosters at all times.

The toyota's own ecu's are good but that is their down fall for us modifiers, they 'self learn' which means the map is adjusted by the ecu to suit the load on the engine, unfortunately they are limited and can trip into a safe mode which delivers maximum duty on the injectors, major over fueling