Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does This Sound Like Broken Alternator Or Engine?

TSPORDIMSTER

Whilst on me way to work last night my car started losing power and a instant high pitched noise started coming from the engine, I pulled off on to the slip road and as i was slowing down to a stop, the engine just cut out and wouldn't even give an ignition sound when turning the key. After approx 10 mins the whole Battery went dead leaving me with no lights, hazards etc stranded in the road.

Now i'm wondering if this sounds like a alternator problem due to loss of Battery power or does this sound more serious?

My car has been using a lot of water lately plus the temp gauage was moving from middle to top ( but mainly middle) minutes before this happend! (although this has been happening for the past couple of months)

Just hoping i've not fried me engine :crybaby:

I've checked all belts etc so far and cant see any snapped ones plus light smoke was coming from the engine bay when i first pulled up.

appreciate any help thanks

Sounds like youve cooked it. And if you have its your own fault for not checking why the temp gauge has been rising.

Could be a failed water pump, sounds like it might be a bearing gone, the high squeeling could be this and the loose belt, the light smoke you saw is probably only steam coming from the engine, worse case going to have to agree with Clawliger and you may have cooked it.

If you have been driving.it hard with a coolant leak. Chances are its ruined. You may be lucky tho. What you have to remember is when you have a coolabt leak. The boiling point of said coolant is drastically reduced as it is no longer under pressure. This is one reason why you see fluctuating temo gauge readings when driving. You need it checked out tbh. Cant really diagnose things like this over the internet.

If you have been driving.it hard with a coolant leak. Chances are its ruined. You may be lucky tho. What you have to remember is when you have a coolabt leak. The boiling point of said coolant is drastically reduced as it is no longer under pressure. This is one reason why you see fluctuating temo gauge readings when driving. You need it checked out tbh. Cant really diagnose things like this over the internet.

I agree, can't diagnose these things on here, get it checked.

Alright cheers guys, Just had a guy look at it which thinks it could be the alternator so doing some tests at the mo so see how it goes fingers crossed