Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keeping A Car For The Long Long Term

Red diesel

I know this is the classic section and a 99 Corolla is not a classic

However i was hoping that maybe someone into their classics might be able to answer a few questions i have.

Thing is i really like this car - its completely irrational i know but there really aren't any other cars id rather have instead.

Strange as it may seem - seeing as its a normally aspirated 2.0 diesel i really love driving it. Because i like older japanese cars and

enjoy driving diesels - im thinking of keeping this car on the road for as long as possible

So if a car was to be kept for as long as possible - whats the best way of checking that there isn't corrosion hiding underneath

underseal.

Whats the best way of protecting the body from rust in the future, and finally is it possible to keep driving a car

like this all year round with top class maintenance - and keep it on the road indefinitley (suspect the answer is no but no harm

asking anyway).

Thanks for the help

Red diesel

To check corrosion under the underseal, the only proper way is to remove the underseal and inspect. After removing underseal, waxoyl your car every year preferably in the warmer climate. This will keep rust at bay.

To check corrosion under the underseal, the only proper way is to remove the underseal and inspect. After removing underseal, waxoyl your car every year preferably in the warmer climate. This will keep rust at bay.

Thanks very much - i suspected that this would indeed be the case - whats the best way of removing the underseal

Thank you

Red diesel

Thanks very much - i suspected that this would indeed be the case - whats the best way of removing the underseal

Thank you

Red diesel

Sadly this job is not easy and always filthy unless you can afford to get it professionally blasted off preferrably by soda or beads :huh:

Otherwise you will have to wait until the warmer dry weather, probably warm the underseal with a heatgun and then soften it with petrol and scrape it off. This must only be done in a very well ventilated garage.

This task is awful, smelly and very very dirty. Sadly there is no other DIY method that I can think of :ffs:

However, you can simply scrape off any loose underseal and spray the rest with Waxoyl which will soften and soak into the underseal that is left in place. If you dilute the waxoyl with plenty of white spirit before spraying then it will work nicely :yes:

• 1 month later...

Red Diesel,

I also have a 90's model Corolla, mine is a 93. The best way I've found to protect the body is simply to keep a layer of wax on it at all times. It's worth the extra effort in my opinion. Just like you, I don't want to get rid of mine. It's paid for, reliable, and gets great milage!

Eric, in California

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links