Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Buy A Cheap Older 4X4 For Winter Use Only

dave.m

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would It Be Worth Having An Older 4X4 For Winter Use

• Yes, if I can find a cheap one, it would be practical.
    • No, the running costs mean it would not be practical

Well as you know I don't have my Rav, so I am pondering the above. Obviously too late for this year but if I spotted some thing cheap during the

summer, should I go for it ?

PS I removed a third option PLONK^R WHY DID YOU CHANGE laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I know what you lot are like thumbsup.gif

I know Scotlandshire has had two bad winters on the run, but in general terms, I don't think we have it bad enough to justify an extra 4x4, Before you all shout (I can hear you revving up Bothy) YES you have had a real bad dollop of snow this time around, but I bet there were plenty of people on those motorways who DID have 4x4's but were just caught up in the general bad traffic/jack knifed lorries/ broken down cars/ abandoned vehicles. You could buy a 4x4 and find yourself in the same situation and unable to do a thing about it!

So for me it's a NO, not worth the extra money, take a taxi, hire a 4x4, Get a lift on Bothys JCB, all of which will be cheaper :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes - go for it. You know you want to, and life's too short to dither over it.

If it doesn't work out, there will always be buyers for RAVs, so you can just sell it on.

In the last ten years, I would say about six have had winters bad enough to want a 4x4.

2000 and 2001 were really bad, last winter was the same.

This one is shaping up to be the worst (and technically it's still Autumn - the snow doesn't usually appear until January).

good one MarsKy....but stop giving our rectum of a transport minister more ammo...."technically it's still Autumn...."

If he owns a Toyota, and reads your post, he'll call another press conference and use this to keep his joab !!!

DAVE M.....I would seriously consider the expense of running one....Funnerburd Too (petrol 3 door, that's why Bothy likes me)

has a definite drink problem. Short journeys and climatic variations have indeed become an issue therewith.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Seriously Dave,If you go with your head + not your heart theres 46wks at least even in the worst years when you don't need a 4x4 and it still needs maintenance, servicing, road tax, and insurance which is about to go thru the roof, do you have somewhere to store it?

However, if you want a toy, something to tinker with, go with the heart + as another poster says if you can afford it, then you only live once :thumbsup: Personally from being a small boy i have wanted a porsche, last year i was seeing boxsters going for around £12,000 and was sorely tempted, but for all the above reasons + mainly because i have nowhere to keep it I hung on to my money and i am now glad i have, its your decision Dave and my very best wishes which ever way you decide :thumbsup: Stew

I voted no as a second car.

Anyway Kev will lend you one of his anytime. Don't even have to bring it back clean.

Where is my kevlar vest?

Well Dave I think the expense over the year will be the deciding factor.

I've an admission here, I first bought the Rav as a "3rd vehicle" - wife and I then already had a car each.It quickly became apparent that the Rav is an extremely useful motor and bearing in mind we used the wife's car for lots of short runs then it was a no brainer to sell the polo and keep the Rav.

Never regretted it, but don't forget insurance, road tax, and some depreciation.

good luck if you get one.

Having 2 RAVs and a Previa, plus use of 7 trucks; 1 forklift and a JCB515 means I normally have at least 1 motor spare. If you get seriously stuck to get to the sunnier climes of your work, let me know and you could borrow number 1 - it flies over snow!

Yes Dave and I've selected 2 vehicles, which I think you completely deserve. The second has one previous careful owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznC9-Kflo8

(I ask you, the nerve of some people. Swan off to another brand, then come on here saying "should I by a 4x4?". What's next? Scots named Kev accusing Anch's of defective "mechanicing"? The world's gone mad I tell you!) ;)

I'm sure that bloke in the blue shirt, halfway through the first vid, is a slimline Kingo :unsure:

Anyway, that's me kippered. I'm gonna get drummed out for those two vids for sure :yes:

Seriously Dave I'd say no. Save the cash, see what's new in around a few years time (perhaps a new and improved RAV or some crossovers with 4WD) and perhaps put the cash to that, if you can afford a bigger outlay then. :thumbsup:

Well i would say YES! you should get one. only cos that's exactly what ive done! I bought a 1998 Rav GX in early November and, up til today, have used it every day for the last two and a half weeks. my number 1 car is a volvo C30 2.0 litre diesel auto and i just didnt feel happy in it last year when it snowed. dont regret buying the Rav, despite the extra running costs etc, i love it and its made me feel much more confident driving in the bad weather. it fits nicely into my garage, unlike the volvo, so ive not had to scrape off ice or snow in the mornings, just get in and go - starts first time. I think if you're asking the question then you already know the answer - you want one really so go for it -its only money...

I bet you could think of a lot of uses for the rest of the year too :thumbsup:

Trips to the garden centre, tip [sorry, recycling centre], beach, ASDA car park, camping, carrying the kids/grandkids to and from various muddy sports activities, transporting Fido....................

Basically all those times you don't want to use that shiny new(ish) Mazda :thumbsup:

Well..i voted yes

As i have wanted another 4x4 (toy) for ages now,but due to current climate and lack of finding what i want out there,i've so far saved my cash.

But......you only live once :thumbsup: ,as some here have already said

I'm sure that bloke in the blue shirt, halfway through the first vid, is a slimline Kingo :unsure:

I move in mysterious ways ;) I am after all the King of parts, nobody said it had to be Toyota only :king::lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I voted "yes" coz that's exactly what I did this summer!

We had been a one car family for sometime but now really needed a second vehicle again for reasons too dull to go into, which would only get some light use so I convinced the missus a RAV would be a good second car for us and we both love it!

Got an old 1995 3 door GX for £1200 and apart from the exhaust breaking about a week after we bought it, it's been great.

I think your biggest problem will be finding a decent cheap one. I spent months looking at overpriced ***** before I found the one I got.

I really was shocked at the rubbish that was out there that people wanted £2000+ for.

I move in mysterious ways ;) I am after all the King of parts, nobody said it had to be Toyota only :king::lol:

You might do well out of LR parts ;).

So, I get it, :yes: you are standing there just waiting for bits to fall off, with the Kingo "Parts Wagon" parked out of shot. :D :thumbsup:

You know me sooo well shcm :yes: I have the parts wagon towing a fish n chip trailer towing a mobile pie factory, sorted ;)

Having held my breath for 2+ years waiting for a geezer to swap the landrovers engine to a 200tdi, and still waiting, I'm seriously thinking of asking for my £1200+ back so I can buy another 3 door rav and fit it out for more serious off-roading. Apart from the fact that landrovers don't have a good heater, keep breaking down if they ever start, the space for the driver is no longer sufficient for my bulk.

A 4.1 fitted with oversize off-road tyres; a decent engine and maybe tinker with the clutch and the transmission should hold its own.....hmmm beginning to get attracted to that.

My fleet is getting well used just now in this weather. Our charity are now ferrying old yins to hospital using nummer 2 RAV, and the trucks and JCB are clearing snow for a well known council...and by all accounts it looks as if that will keep our charity busy for the next 3 months. Salt and grit isn't touching the hardpacked ice on the roads here (where the ice is 3" thick) and theres thosands of miles on roads affected.

Dave - buy a RAV and if its a 4.1 3 door I might buy it aff you in the spring!!

My fleet is getting well used just now in this weather. Our charity are now ferrying old yins to hospital using nummer 2 RAV, and the trucks and JCB are clearing snow for a well known council...and by all accounts it looks as if that will keep our charity busy for the next 3 months. Salt and grit isn't touching the hardpacked ice on the roads here (where the ice is 3" thick) and theres thosands of miles on roads affected.

Aye - took the dog its 4 mile walk this afternoon and there was a minimum of 1 inch of ice all the way round.

And couriers are not delivering because the roads have been assessed as being a hazard! So my snow tyres had been stuck in two depots since 1st December. I then went onto the tracker website, and 2 have been sent back to Germany :censor: :ffs: The other 2 have been stuck in Cambuslang (about 10 miles away) since 6th Dec.

And BP seem to have run out of diesel, as I found out yesterday.

Anyway, Big Kev can start improving his RAV drifts come Thursday, coz it looks like the weather's going to get worse.

And couriers are not delivering because the roads have been assessed as being a hazard! So my snow tyres had been stuck in two depots since 1st December. I then went onto the tracker website, and 2 have been sent back to Germany :censor: :ffs: The other 2 have been stuck in Cambuslang (about 10 miles away) since 6th Dec.

Well - don't trust the tracking system, because the 4 tyres have just arrived :yahoo:

But alloys are already a day late.

I have to agree with hertsnminds, go for a new winter tyre set. Unless you are looking to keep the Mazda good, and have a RAV to have some fun in.

Do you need one?

I bought one because I wanted one, but it payed off this weekend :)

I voted yes although it is a matter of personal choice where each individual wishes to spend their disposable. We run 4x4's now as family cars as a matter of course, not just because you know that weather like this won't catch you out, bit also because generally the roads are in such f%&king awful condition that a 4x4 is really the only vehicle robust enough to cope all the time. My fun vehicle is a Honda Fireblade - 2 wheels always better than four (except when it's snowing....)

I voted yes as I retired this year and treated myself to a Porsche but it isn't the most practical vehicle in the world so my dilema was sell the Porker and buy a useful vehicle or keep it and SORN it til the summer and buy an older vehicle.

I went with the 2nd option and bought an 02 RAV4.2 D4D and just in time for the snow too :toast:

Do it, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Thought I should update this thread rolleyes.gif

Spent the weekend looking at 4X4's, and first off I should mention the Tw^t at the met office who decided to forewarn everyone that we are going

to have another bad winter starting in October. The prices for anything with a 4X4 Badge on it has rocketed, and thats including any old heap of

cr^p.Anyway the good news for you guys is (and I think its already been talked about) that Rav's are fetching silly money. That's any Rav from a

4.1 onwards.So having looked at various cars including Xenodrews, which I did not buy, mainly because it was a bit more than I wanted to pay.

But also because it was better than I needed, it was a nice 4.2 with leather et al, and it would have been a waste for what I want it for (occasional

use) it should be someone's main car.So after much running around........................................dare I say it...................I settled for a cheap little HONDA

HRV in such good condition that come spring I reckon I could sell it again for same as I paid for it.So its hats off to Hoovie as I remember him talking

about how good they are in the slippy stuff. thumbsup.gif

...I settled for a cheap little HONDA HRV

*Coughs* ...........a H H H Honda? Oh dear lord it made me stutter :D:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links