kevin h

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: prius t spirit

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

Anybody else had the loud engine noise and vibration durring this cold spell.

It happened to me in Jan and again in Nov (Both cold periods after the car had been stood for 48 hours)

I just wish I'd had me camcorder with me for the last one.

My problem has been passed to Toyota UK but I won't hold my breath.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • First Name:Grumpy
  • Toyota Model: Prius Gen 3
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yes, I had it happen to mine last winter. It happened when left for a few days in very cold weather and as luck would have it, I had my 10k mile service due so informed the dealers when it was in and they said it could have been a dodgy coil pack. It hasn't happened since then, despite being left for long periods in cold weather so perhaps they were right?

However, many owners on the US forum have had similar experiences and some theory goes along the line of the car not being started correct by one of the big motor/generators due to the cold. Or others believe it repeatedly happens when the car is started in cold weather, not allowed to fully warm up before being shut off again (say driving 100 yards with the engine running) and subsequently left for a few days in cold weather. How this affects it is unknown to me but some intelligent types suggest it could be a software type issue with the warm up cycles.

Does the above sound like your experiences? Did you drive it a very short distance (as opposed to a journey over 1 mile) shortly before parking for a few days in the cold?

Be interesting if you could let us all know your findings and perhaps members such as PartsKing and other Toyota connected members could comment before you speak to your dealers.

Hope the above helps.

#3 kevin h

kevin h

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I had it happen to mine last winter. It happened when left for a few days in very cold weather and as luck would have it, I had my 10k mile service due so informed the dealers when it was in and they said it could have been a dodgy coil pack. It hasn't happened since then, despite being left for long periods in cold weather so perhaps they were right?

However, many owners on the US forum have had similar experiences and some theory goes along the line of the car not being started correct by one of the big motor/generators due to the cold. Or others believe it repeatedly happens when the car is started in cold weather, not allowed to fully warm up before being shut off again (say driving 100 yards with the engine running) and subsequently left for a few days in cold weather. How this affects it is unknown to me but some intelligent types suggest it could be a software type issue with the warm up cycles.

Does the above sound like your experiences? Did you drive it a very short distance (as opposed to a journey over 1 mile) shortly before parking for a few days in the cold?

Be interesting if you could let us all know your findings and perhaps members such as PartsKing and other Toyota connected members could comment before you speak to your dealers.

Hope the above helps.

Hi GC,

"We" spoke about this over the phone last year and I ended up writing to Toyota directly but never receiving a response.

My tank was drained, the weather warmed up and it didn't happen again until just recently.

No journeys of less that 12 miles had been made before parking the car in the garage so thats not the problem.

Anyway, I've now got my local dealer looking into it with Toyota UK and have refered them to another sufferer in Wales and his local dealer.

I'm not going to let this drop and am writing to Toyota directly, but I can't fault my dealer for trying to resolve the problem.

I'll let people know how things pan out.

Kev

#4 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Going to get a bit paranoid here, but I wonder if it has been corrected by a software update. The reason I say this is that when I start my car up from cold in a morning the motor/generator seems to spin for longer before the engine fires up. You can hear it spinning (a hum) for about a second and a half before the engine springs to life. I'm sure it never spun as long as this last winter and wonder if that caused the problems?

Definitely clutching at straws here but could your dealer check that all the software is upto date on your car? As I've been in for 3 services this year, plus the recall, I'm sure my software is totally upto date.

Would still be curious to see what PartsKing and other Toyota connected types think.

#5 kevin h

kevin h

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'll mention it and see what they say

#6 Jan&tone

Jan&tone

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 3,303 posts
  • First Name:Tony
  • Toyota Model: Yaris Hybrid T-Spirit
  • Year: 2012

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

No problems with my engine. Got the car out of the garage today for the first time in a fortnight and engine started just as quietly as normal about a minute after i started reversing the car out. Normal ma-in-law visit, Pitsea to Farnborough and although the engine was on and off as usual, no vibration or noises from it at all... :thumbsup:

#7 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

I think Kevin has been unlucky as it has only happened to me once in 37,000 miles.

#8 Gav 18

Gav 18

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Toyota Model: Auris Hybrid

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

This happened to me last weekend (I'm assuming the same problem can occur in the Auris HSD too?) I hadn’t used my car for a few days (it was under about 2 foot of snow) and I started it up. At first no problem, then a very loud banging and heavy vibration (bit like an engine misfire but seemed worse). I shut the power down straight away and popped the bonnet. I couldn’t see anything, but the thing I noticed was that the noise/vibration only appeared to start as the AC fan ramped up speed to defrost the windows. I tried starting again without the AC on this time and let the engine warm up for a few minutes before manually turning AC on and spinning the fan up one notch at a time. No problem this time and since then I have done several hundred miles without problem. I put it down to ice or similar on the fan blades.

GC – I also notice a motor hum for a second or two before the engine starts. I put this down the motor spinning the engine up to operating speed before actually firing. Having said that if it was a software update I would have expected the Auris HSD to have the latest firmware from the factory.

#9 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

GC – I also notice a motor hum for a second or two before the engine starts. I put this down the motor spinning the engine up to operating speed before actually firing. Having said that if it was a software update I would have expected the Auris HSD to have the latest firmware from the factory.

Hmmm this is worrying. My only comment would be that I've been off ill for a few weeks and my car has been stood for a while under 6 inches of snow and ice and it fired up ok when I went to check it was ok, hence thinking it was a software issue.

Did your read my earlier post about some in the US forums thinking it was something to do with the car being being stopped half way through a previous warm up cycle that could cause the issue? Would this be applicable to you?

I am still concerned our friends from Toyota dealers are remaining silent on this subject. Do they know what the fault is? Or is it a design issue, esp considering it is happening in the new Auris HSD!

#10 Grumpy Cabbie

Grumpy Cabbie

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hmmm, just been out to take my car round the block to give it a run and guess what! :censor:

I had the clatter, knocking, judder when the engine started up. Going to give the dealer a ring to see if there are any codes in the short term memory.

I would add that the car has been stood about 3 weeks and I've been out every 3 or 4 days to start it up and let it run until the engine switched itself off when warmed up. Well, the last time I started my car up before today I had to stop the engine half way through the warmup cycle as I was interupted by my gf. I wonder if this was what caused it?

Comments appreciated.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users