Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise And Vibration - Prius Gen3

kevin h

Had mine done on its latest service.

Prior to this it had happened only 3 times.

It had a new manifold and ECU reprogram.

It hasn't reoccurred since, but it was a rare thing in the first place.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grumpy Cabbie

• kevin h

• Chris Dance

• Parts-King

:thumbsup: Thanks guys, I'll probably hold off until the next service then. Great thread, very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Hey Kevin, I assume the replacement of engine manifold fixed the issue?

Did they replace the engine mount too as per TSB 0204-11? Thanks!

Heared nothing from toyota since jan, but suddenly had a call.

I'm taking my car in to have a replacement Engine Manifold which should resolve the Engine noise issue.

We shall see, but its a bit hot to test it as it has only happened 3 times and each time on the cold.

Watch this space over winter and I;ll let you know

No idea

whats "TSB 0204-11" mean?

All I know is that (Touch wood) the problem has not occurred since.

• 11 months later...

Spoke to the local dealer about the cold start knocking problem as my car is in for second year service this week. Dealer stated they had no reports of cold start knocking on any Prius!! (They stated they do not get US service bulletins.) I explained it seemed to be a manifold condensation problem as outlined on this forum. They have promised to check the car. I shall ask the dealer to put in a report about it.

Went to dealer this for second year service morning on my Gen 3.They found a UK service bulletin on the problem of cold start knocking. They are going to look into whether they change the inlet manifold or the ECU and injectors or both. I am pleased the problem will be sorted even though I have only had the engine knock on one occasssion.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the inlet fuel manifold changed today on our Prius gen 3. Car was collected and returned on same day. Hopefully no more cold sart knocking in Winter.

• 2 months later...

This problem occurred with me this week. Last Tuesday (11th) did 225 mile round trip. The following day switched ignition on to check previous days mileage, mpg etc., and unintentionally started the engine up, I shut it down almost immediately, and didn't use car again that day.

The following day, yesterday, start car up and immediately got this horrendous rattle from the engine for a few seconds. but It drove perfectly after that. Will mention it to dealer when service is due in a few weeks time.

The fault is caused by condensation in the fuel manifold. The new manifold fitted to my car is designed to stop condensation according to the dealer. I thought the fault only occured in cold weather!!! Hope you get it sorted Duffryn.

Cheers Chris. Out of interest - what did it take for them to change the manifold? Did you have other issues apart from the rattle, did they change it willingly, or did you have to apply some "pressure"?

Hi Duffryn,

At first the sales manager said they had not had this fault before. I insisted there was a service bulletin on this fault.The car was left for its 2nd year service which took 2+ hours. When I returned for the car the service chap had found the service bulletin concerning cold start knocking. The dealer contacted TOYOTa and the decision was to change the fuel manifold. There was no other problems with the car. I never had to apply any pressure. The fault can also be caused by the fuel injectors, the dealer and Toyota excluded this and decided on the fuel manifold as the fix. The fuel manifold was changed the week after the service I previously mentioned and was done in a couple of hours. They even valeted the car. I was very pleased with the service I received.

Ta for that info Chris, much appreciated.

Only had the car for 4 months and this is the first time I've experienced this happening, so, unless the problem recurs I'll probably leave it until the 40K mile service is due in a few weeks time. Will certainly mention it to dealer then, also reminding them that Toyota have issued a service bulletin about it.

Glad yours is sorted now.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to drag up this old thread but my car seems to have developed a similier issue in where from start up it sometimes makes a clattering noise but more worrying it judders whilst driving along which was evident today on the way home with the kids in the car. It's never happened before and my car is way past the warrenty period for Toyota to actually do anything themselves so I'm now left with a car with no interior heating(heater box replacement at the cost of £1700( and now this issue which will cost god knows what!

I really am starting to regret buying this car now as it's totally knocked any consideration for looking into the Toyota hybrid brand ever again, I've not long bought the car from a small garage, I've already notified them of the car interior heater box issue(I posted up about this issue on here) which a receipt provided by Toyota for the Diagnostic once I picked it up and gave it to them around 2 weeks and and have not heard anything back from them and I'll be visiting them tomorrow to ask when they plan or getting it sorted out and now this issue which out of the two issues i'm more concerned about.

I've read that Toyota supply a modified Intake Manifold along with an ECU update, so this rules out any garage being able to do it other than Toyota...Also at what cost?

• 4 years later...

Replacing heater core and Ac evaporator inside dashboard is 14 h labor. What i know 2010-2012 has bad head gasket at around 140k miles. 2013 off newer has less problems because the head gasket is revised. Yes, TSB for icing or water condensation in intake manifold are known but it's not recalls. You will pay for our outside warranty

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links