Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slightly Out Of The Ordinary Engine Questions

Leeky

Does anyone know how difficult it is to mount a rev 3 3SGTE longitudinally? Not into a celica of course :help: but into any RWD car.

The 2jzgte, how much does it weight and does anyone know how long it is? also same question for the 3sgte.

Also about both engines, how much power can i get out of a stock 3sgte rev3 and a stock 2jzgte without spending any money? (or very little money)

For example i was thinking of removing the cat, removing the air intake filters to have direct feed to the turbo(s) and raising boost to the highest level the engine will take without doing damage.

Cheers peeps! :thumbsup:

There's a couple of mkiv supras running the 3SGTE as it can sit further back in the engine bay helping with weight distribution. I can't help with weights or lengths.

The 2JZ-GTE on jap spec turbos can run a safe max of 1.2bar which will be around 370bhp i guess. So the 2jz will be more powerful than the 3sgte at BPU levels.

It all depends on what application your putting it into, as you may not want a huge 6 cylinder engine in a light weight car, especially as one as complicated as the 2jz.

think the 'tezza has its 3sge mounted properly ..

Thanks guys, im contemplating which engine to plonk into my project car (still a secret).

I want to get a good power to weight ratio, im familiar with toyota engines and think i'd be best to use either the 3sgte or the 2jzgte.

Probably the 3s will be the better engine to use as its a lot lighter, i've already had one so i know where everything is, and with the right tuning can reach the same levels as the 2jz.

The only thing is the mounting, the altezza 3sge would be very straight forward but hasnt got the power i need. So it looks like im gonna have to figure out how to mount the 3sgte RWD. :(

Do you think i will need to change the gearbox or could i use the existing one?

I think (don't quote me) that the only way you'd keep the 3sgte's gearbox would be if the engine was in the rear, like the 2, as bascially it's a FWD gearbox.

If you got room for a 2jz then stick a yank V8 in it. Carbs, dizzy, big torque and power, and best of all, SIMPLE.

:lol:

That would be the easiest way.

But im after big horses but little weight, the kinda car its going in would make it so nose heavy the real wheels would most likely leave the floor :lol:

Also i dont trust engines that arent japanese, whatever i put into it needs to be jap, light and big/easy bhp possibilitys.

Any recommendations of a light/high bhp/jap/rwd engine?

how about a Altezza .. turbo'ed with motec .. so it'd be a 3sgte .. with Dual VVTi ..

Oh for a lotto win ..

Altezzes run straight sixes (1G). I'd imagine a turbod one unless its had a totally different lump thrown in there would not bea million miles off the 1G-GTE in my supra?.. unless.. of course.. it had a fully specced 2JZ in it ;)

Really im after a RWD engine that will push about 300bhp stock (after removing cat etc). I dont want to really start messing with a n/a engine with a turbo when it would cost less to just buy a factory turbo setup.

The 1G-GTE would be a nice light engine but what is the bhp on it? Im looking for a good ole bit of poke. Also how strong is it? cuz its gonna have to take nitros and whenever its on its going to be running in the red line down the strip.

I really wont have the kinda dosh to throw at engine upgrades but will invest in a nice nitro kit providing the 2jzgte will take it stock. I hear the internals are good for 450bhp??? :unsure:

If this is the case getting a stock engine and 100bhp shot of nitros should hit me up onto the 400bhp ladder which is plenty for my car in mind seeing as its weights no more than 700kg.

Looks like unless i find a better (i.e lighter) engine, im gonna go 2jz. But thanks for all the suggestions guys. :thumbsup:

Altezzes run straight sixes (1G). I'd imagine a turbod one unless its had a totally different lump thrown in there would not bea million miles off the 1G-GTE in my supra?.. unless.. of course.. it had a fully specced 2JZ in it 

Not the "sporty" ones .. they run a highly tuned 3s-ge ..

I personally think your be better off with a 3s-gte.

IIRC they're around 250bhp stock.

Your have problems trying to find a 2jz, and think of the complexity, and it aint no light weight either.

1G-GTE is as strong as the 7M-GTE (if not more so...I've killed 2 '7s and 1G's don;t eat headgaskets) the stock internals are good for 400 bhp, and yes.. it does take nitrous ;)

However the 3S-GTE is FAR FAR more common an therefore easier to get hold of and tune!!!

The 1G is pretty good... but its also a very old engine.. (having said that, its and old engine thats still in use! can't all be bad) its capable, but not as cheap to get the power you'd be after, esp for drag racing, the straight 6 would be more suited to long (smooth) runs as opposed to short hard runs.

get a 1JZ ;)

I never knew altezzes came with a 4 banger!!! is that the RS?

3sgte would be perfect but dont have the expertise, time or money to make it RWD. :(

2JZ is very hard to get hold of let alone the 1jz so really a Toyota engine isnt likely.

Have thought about the Nissan 200sx 2ltr turbo RWD engine. But is a bit crappy, saying that i could get hold of one off eBay for under 500 quid.

One that seems the most likely candidate is the Sierra RS500/Cosworth engine. RWD layout, 200+bhp stock and you can find they everywhere. But i have no faith in the build quality. How long would it last?

Oh well, i think i need to go away and do more research :thumbsup:

Yep, but no normal kit car. ;) If i got in magazines and the DVD for my GT4, this is gonna make that look like nothing :lol:

Ohhh by the way i've decided that i am going to use a cossie engine. The kit im using needs a sierra as a donor (which kit doesnt?) so it makes sence to get hold of a cossie so i dont need to get hold of another engine.

Also looking in the trader and eBay most cossies have been tuned up already so i will have a lot of the work already done for me. :D

Thanks for that but i dont want to buy an engine from outside england. Too much hassle really. :thumbsup:

what about bike engines?

I think i know what kitcar your building and i have been i one with a 900cc fireblade engine and i can tell you it goes like stink. but theres always a hyabusa engine a couple of grand will see you a complete one of these and they're a lot lighter than a 3S or a 2jz less weight means more power to weight or to put it another way you need less power to propel a light car at the same rate as a heavy car with loads of power. oh and bike engines take NOS too

what about bike engines?

I think i know what kitcar your building

I think I know which you are thinking of as well :D I think that I've heard of a Hyabusa engined being a monster! :thumbsup:

I saw a radical on monday going round brandshatch dear god was that thing was quick Think thats has an R1 engine in it?

:lol:

Come on then, take a guess if you think you know what im building but i bet your all are way off. :D

Once i've built it, it may be the only one you ever seen in your lifetime.

Once i've built it, it may be the only one you ever seen in your lifetime.

If that's the case, then it's not what I was thinking of... even though I've only seen a couple in my life :P