Do Not Sell My Personal Information

64 Bit System V 32 Bit

bothwell_buyer

I'm running a desktop with a quad core processor and 8GB RAM and 2 500GB hard discs.

Currently using Windows XP Professional. However the speed is not that great for some of the multiple tabs I have open using Firefox, and I seem to have a complicated problem - the download speed from our 20MB broadband link is only running at 3 MB on the computer but all other computers on the network are running at 20MB download.

Should I

1. Buy a new computer and transfer hard discs and RAM ?

2. Change to 64 bit processing?

3. Buy another RAV4

4. Do something else which would be helpful in increasing or sorting the download speed?

The upload speed is ok, and as I say the dowload speeds on the 2 laptops and other desktop is ok at 20MB. I've cleaned the box using various REG software etc etc etc and even a technician came out to have a look but couldn't find the fault.

sensible answers encouraged !

I'm running a desktop with a quad core processor and 8GB RAM and 2 500GB hard discs.

Currently using Windows XP Professional. However the speed is not that great for some of the multiple tabs I have open using Firefox, and I seem to have a complicated problem - the download speed from our 20MB broadband link is only running at 3 MB on the computer but all other computers on the network are running at 20MB download.

Should I

3. Buy another RAV4

4. Do something else which would be helpful in increasing or sorting the download speed?

The upload speed is ok, and as I say the dowload speeds on the 2 laptops and other desktop is ok at 20MB. I've cleaned the box using various REG software etc etc etc and even a technician came out to have a look but couldn't find the fault.

Bothie

Firstly let's get one thing straight. The purchase of another RAV is not at all dependent on whether your computer works or not.... I'm biased - buy a Prius....

However:

on the subject of your screwed up computer.

Could well be the items that are in the startup menu whether or not they show on start/programs/startup or not....

To get at them, running xp go to start/run and type msconfig, hit return.

A box will open up 'system configuration' with 5 tabs.

Go to the startup tab and untick each one in turn - the theory is that you should restart your computer after unticking each item to see which one it is that is causing the slow running, but in practice you can probably untick the whole lot and if the machine doesn't start up properly then start in safe mode and re-tick each in turn - it's probably quicker that way.

this may or may not help, but could be that if you're still running xp on that machine its over 4 years old and probably needs replacing, bit like my teeth really :thumbsup:

Is it a wireless or wired network ?

What type of router are you using ?

If it's a wireless system what make and model of dongle are you using ?

Should I

3. Buy another RAV4

Bothie

Firstly let's get one thing straight. The purchase of another RAV is not at all dependent on whether your computer works or not.... I'm biased - buy a Prius....

However:

on the subject of your screwed up computer.

Could well be the items that are in the startup menu whether or not they show on start/programs/startup or not....

To get at them, running xp go to start/run and type msconfig, hit return.

A box will open up 'system configuration' with 5 tabs.

Go to the startup tab and untick each one in turn - the theory is that you should restart your computer after unticking each item to see which one it is that is causing the slow running, but in practice you can probably untick the whole lot and if the machine doesn't start up properly then start in safe mode and re-tick each in turn - it's probably quicker that way.

this may or may not help, but could be that if you're still running xp on that machine its over 4 years old and probably needs replacing, bit like my teeth really :thumbsup:

You are almost very kind. Of course I'm trying to build up the case that I need to buy another RAV to adapt it to use by a disabled person with limited use of their legs and taking in cognisance of the limited brain power (ie me). So reducing the dependency on having to post ridiculous comments on the forum.... aka Raist (jist joking??)

I and the computer tecknishun both tried starting XP in basic mode to check out (ie safe mode) and the fault remains. The com puter was built for me maybe about 2-3 years ago (3 I think) but I have added more RAM and a new graphics card since then. The box is quite noisy (fans I guess) and i have hoovered out same and cleaned cooling fins with pure alcohol - I drank the alcohol and used a cloth and vacuum to do the rest.

The machine did use to cope with 20MB downloads so I guess something has happened to block speeds.... and I wonder about either a hardware fault mainly as the software seems to check out OK.

Curse this site and its block on replying within 20 minutes...

I'm using a Netgear cable router hard- wired (ooooo!) to my main and back-up computers and wireless to the laptops. It is a wireless enabled router - and about 2 years old I think.

I'm using a Netgear cable router hard- wired (ooooo!) to my main and back-up computers and wireless to the laptops. It is a wireless enabled router - and about 2 years old I think.

Try running it directly off the modem and check the speed, if it improves then you have found your bottle neck.

Try running it directly off the modem and check the speed, if it improves then you have found your bottle neck.

will do..... found 2 bottlenecks but both bottles were empty so just going out to buy another bottle....

• 1 month later...

After much mucking about I pulled computer apart; replaced power unit with a 750W jobbie; new gigabyte P67 UD5 motherboard; overclocked Intel i7 processor and 8Gb DDR3 RAM

then used my original 2 750Gb hard discs 7200 and DVD read/writer. The video card was noisy so put a HD5770 card in ---

the result?

The computer is now pretty quick but then found the download speed had gone up to just 3Mb... so bought new ethernet cable (which had tested ok before) and then reached the desired 20Mb speeds.

Great fun as I installed Windows 7 64 and am still wasting days getting all my back up files and programmes onto the new system. try as I might, the machine won't recognise the Konica Minolta C250.. ie cant find auto.inf file driver.

Moral of story - keep with Windows XP Professional and buy new ethernet cable first.

Gracious thanks to wur friend in Surreyshire. I ended up downloading that 3 times and seem to have got 2 of them right . Now just fixing the home network thing as the printer is seen on one bit but not seen for linking the printer driver despite me locating the IP on the network for it. I'll have another go at it tomorrow after I've sworn at the old man and told him I've just spent his Undertakers Expenses fund on a new processor.

I'll vote fur anither star fur wur man Raist....

• 2 weeks later...

All working pretty much ok now - reduced the over-clocking and the system is stable - allowing me to increase the voltage etc to find a happy point.

Still to try to recover emails as the smart email backup didn't back up properly due to the external hard drive FATS limit on 4GB. Got a gap between July 2010 and january 2011.

Other files still about on the 2 hard discs I have. Why do hard disc suppliers make up their own software for these things ? (eg netgear storage sc101)

Gracious thanks to wur friend in Surreyshire. I ended up downloading that 3 times and seem to have got 2 of them right . Now just fixing the home network thing as the printer is seen on one bit but not seen for linking the printer driver despite me locating the IP on the network for it. I'll have another go at it tomorrow after I've sworn at the old man and told him I've just spent his Undertakers Expenses fund on a new processor.

Best tell the admin man... I'm glad it worked though :thumbsup:

which admin man ? Theres seems to be hunners of them?

<<< Look over there <<<< I have two stars (smug look on face) :D:

two star was a cheap and nasty fuel,but no reflection on you kingo, old buddy.

two star was a cheap and nasty fuel,but no reflection on you kingo, old buddy.

no comment :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typical innit, just as you think your status in life moves up the ladder......someone cuts a few rungs off it........cheap n nasty fuel indeed

Just you wait til i'm 5 star and full of lead :naughty:

Typical innit, just as you think your status in life moves up the ladder......someone cuts a few rungs off it........cheap n nasty fuel indeed

Just you wait til i'm 5 star and full of lead :naughty:

What :eek: Another moderator ?? :lol: