Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Replacement Disc Brakes And Pads

Norvass

Are the discs grooved and dimpled/drilled? Did you choose to add the black coating?

Drilled and dimpled ones for me .. no I didn't get a coating tbh I completely forgot I was in such a rush to sort them for the weekend I forgot about the coating but I will just have to look after them ... I might just take the wheel off and paint some hammerite on the hub part of it lol

That's all I did Ben - cleaned the surface of the hub & non-braking surface area of the disc, then coated it with heat-resisitant black paint. Stops all that nasty looking rust .....

Ye I think paying extra for something that gets rubbed off is excessive especially when the hub part is rarely seen so a bit of hammerite or bbq paint ( have plenty in my shed for undersealing stuff ) will be fine

I think you mean drilled and grooved? As I thought it's impossible to get grilled and dimpled at the same time. It's mostly the same the holes aren't just drilled through if the discs are dimpled.

Was there any reason you went for the drilled option? I've heard that they tend to crack more easily than the dimpled ones.

I went dimpled and grooved sorry I meant to write I went grooved and dimpled rather than drilled

No more questions then :) Oh actually there is one. Are you going to bead them in and if yes, how? Because I got different instructions from different people. Some said I should, some said it's not necessary.

Bedding in is always necessary I have always done as a mechanic and everyone I know and worked with has or instructed the customer to if they didn't want us too

Bedding in can be done in different ways personally and the way I was shown taught and told and seen others do is .... Find a couple of empty streets (so at night is best for personal cars as u have time to ) and go up and down them in second gear it helps to have a street with speed bumps that are similar distance between them and are plenty ful and essentially boot it between to about 30 mph then heavy braking to about 7 mph then do the same over and over it gets everything warmed up and singing in sync and gets rid of that slightly spongy feel very quickly .. i did mine till I could smell them and there was heat haze

So heidfirst it's about what I said ish it's just what mechanics and tuners have Been taught and told for generations and now this is basically a bit of evidence ... I have never really taken a car over 50 ( even top end stuff I have changed ) as if you crack a disc then it's you who foots the bill not the customer but yeah what you say makes sense problem is to do 60 you need either a dual carriageway/motorway or a national limit road ... And personally I think it's a bit dodgey doin bedding in process on these sort of roads that's why I say use some quiet streets and only 30 it's a bit more applicable to everyone

• 3 weeks later...

Right done a fair few miles on the new brakes ( mtec dimpled and grooved discs and black diamond predator pads ) brake dust has took a dramatic decrease in the amount on the wheels and the cold bite is excellent .... And I have done some spirited (to say the least) driving and they held up fine been no problems even the missus can tell there is a massive difference in response and pedal feedback

• Like 1

Nice to hear you're happy. Going to upgrade your brake lines aswell?

I think I can see braided lines on the next disc change (rears) then it's essentially the best it will be on standard calipers