Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Emina Estima Will Not Run

johnathan

Hi just wondering if any one could help me

I have a friend that has a 1994 toyota emina estima

They decided to go out for a day trip and got 20 mile out of scarbourough when the car cut out. there was a cloud of black smoke from the rear of the car and when they opened the bonnet there was a lot of steam coming from radiator header bottle which is now empty with like a copper colour all over under the bonnet also there was a loud bang from the engine compartment and now the car wont start just turning over checked timming belt and is still in one piece and in place.

I would be great full if any one on here could help i have read other forums but cannot seem to find any with the same prooblem as this one

Thanks johnathan

• 2 weeks later...

Which engine does it have? Diesel or petrol? Manual or auto? 2WD or 4WD? A loud bang and brown water everywhere tends to suggest a coolant hose has burst or the radiator cap has blown off the expansion bottle (you didn't state if it was still in place). Both make a right good bang. Some models will not start if the coolant level is too low (safety feature). Really, it could be a lot of things which have failed, so best to get underneath the bonnet and engine covers and try to find the source of that bang. A cloud of black smoke from the rear could be fuel related if it's a diesel, the most likely suspect being the turbo wastegate sticking shut due to a snapped actuator. That bang could have been the actuator diaphram letting go. Sends the fuelling to hell and makes it difficult to start and no performance when it does.

Incidentally (and not necessarily related) petrol models are prone to head gasket failure, diesels tend to crack their heads between valve recesses. Neither produces a loud bang but diesels are almost impossible to start when the head has cracked and coolant loss (overheating) can cause it to happen very quickly. In other words if it's a diesel try to find the cause of the problem before turning it over repeatedly. Cylinder head cracks can easily write off an older Estima due to the cost involved in repairing them and the lack of good second hand heads available.

Fingers crossed it's a hose or the radiator cap. The TEOC chairman buffalobob is a mobile mechanic. If you're stuck I could get you his number and you could arrange a visit. He's probably the cheapest option if it requires any repair work and he really knows his Estimas.

Good luck.

Alan

Which engine does it have? Diesel or petrol? Manual or auto? 2WD or 4WD? A loud bang and brown water everywhere tends to suggest a coolant hose has burst or the radiator cap has blown off the expansion bottle (you didn't state if it was still in place). Both make a right good bang. Some models will not start if the coolant level is too low (safety feature). Really, it could be a lot of things which have failed, so best to get underneath the bonnet and engine covers and try to find the source of that bang. A cloud of black smoke from the rear could be fuel related if it's a diesel, the most likely suspect being the turbo wastegate sticking shut due to a snapped actuator. That bang could have been the actuator diaphram letting go. Sends the fuelling to hell and makes it difficult to start and no performance when it does.

Incidentally (and not necessarily related) petrol models are prone to head gasket failure, diesels tend to crack their heads between valve recesses. Neither produces a loud bang but diesels are almost impossible to start when the head has cracked and coolant loss (overheating) can cause it to happen very quickly. In other words if it's a diesel try to find the cause of the problem before turning it over repeatedly. Cylinder head cracks can easily write off an older Estima due to the cost involved in repairing them and the lack of good second hand heads available.

Fingers crossed it's a hose or the radiator cap. The TEOC chairman buffalobob is a mobile mechanic. If you're stuck I could get you his number and you could arrange a visit. He's probably the cheapest option if it requires any repair work and he really knows his Estimas.

Good luck.

hi there the car is diesel, auto and not rite sure but a think its the 2wd the radiator cap is still in place but i have found a small water pipe off on the header bottle not rite sure were this as come from also there has been no issue with loss of water until the car broke down not really had time to look due to having an emergency operation on my hand.

Alan

• 2 years later...

Hi, could I have Bobs number, or website. I have engine light coming on intermittently at 3000 revs, then drops off

Hi, could I have Bobs number, or website. I have engine light coming on intermittently at 3000 revs, then drops off

As the post referring to the phone number was made in 2010 you would possibly be better to do a "Google" search to find the information :)