Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres 2010/2011

Sico2

Yet again, I'll dig into a topic of winter tyres.

Since our UK winter had a lot of surprises for us, I can bet many people are considering, if not already decided, to fit winter tyres on their wheels.

The demand is vast all around the country but I've heard, none of the garages seem to be finding a solution or even try somewhat harder to ask suppliers for tyre production increase. There is also a subject of winter tyres awarness and fitting them making "advisable" or even compulsory as in France, Germany, Austria or Switzerland. In Poland for example, where year by year winter strucks hardly, everyone knows winter tyres is the only solution, even though not many people can afford them. Nevertheless they try to buy used, low brands or put only them once snow falls or temperatures drop. Many argue this is only a winter rip-off but vast majority understands the importance of proper rubber compound for the winter.

But what's my question.

How many of you still think about installing winter rubber, even though, half of the winter is gone and this may be probably the only snow period we'll see until end of 2011.

And also what are your views on motorists in UK travelling still on summer tyres, and being balmed for most of the accidents or traffic jams? In Germany for example, if you're caught on summer tyres during winter condition (snow, mud, slush) you'll get fined 40€+1 point. Once you caused an accident because of lack of appropriate tyres, the fine doubles to 80€.

I fitted winters to my GTI back in October after sourcing a set of alloys back in the summer. My wife just went along with it thinking it was another one of my bright ideas. When the first snows came a few weeks ago, she could not believe the difference in traction and stopping power on a slippy surface. Just a week before the snow, we changed her W reg Yaris for an 08 reg TR. She got talking one night and said she wanted to have them fitted to her car as well. For her to want to spend a few hundred quid on a car is testament itself to how good they are. Problem was that in December, Germany made it law to have winter tyres fitted and the whole supply just dried up and became ludicrously expensive. In the UK alone I've heard figures of 800% increase in winter tyre sales this year over last. Never mind, I managed to get hers sorted with the help of a forum member supplying me with steel wheels and tyres sourced locally at a decent price.

I think people have to stop seeing them as "snow tyres" and more as cold weather tyres. The benefits they bring on cold, wet roads is well worth a mention as well. The other thing to think about is that it's a hefty investment up front, but while you've got winters on, you're not wearing out you summer ones, so the whole thing balances in the end with the only cost being in the spare set of rims you've bought. The only negative aspect to running winter tyres is that you can stop much quicker, but the guy behind you on summer tyres may not! It brought it home to me how bad summers are on snow last night when I got a taxi from work to the pub (last day)and he had next to no grip.

To anyone who is still thinking about it and can afford it, go for it. There's still plenty of cold between now and March. I also know a North East tyre shop that has supply of Hankook IceBears (Foxhunters)

Storage is going to be the main problem for most people and surely we will see "tyre hotels" springing up across the UK as winter tyres become more widely used. KwikFit have started to offer this service for £45 per year, but I don't know if that's dependant on you buying their tyres though.

Fines being introduced for not being on the appropriate tyre? That's a toughie, as there is so much difference in temperature, North to South in such a small country to be able to implement and control anything like this.

I can see bus companies and truckers lovng compulsion.As they cause most problems in winter on Motorways....

I suggest that you'll really struggle to find any winter tyres this winter but are best muddling through this winter as usual and then sorting yourself out again in the summer ready for next year.

I spent three moenths trying to get some this time last year. The issue is that the premium brands only bring over a set amount each year - when they're gone, they're not replenished until the following year.

And as Hartside says - even the online tyre companies can't source them from Europe cheaply this winter because of legislation changes on the continent taking all the sales.

I got Goodyear Ultragrips last year for just £55 each inc vat (and they were the same price on "mytyres" this year until November) - then they went up to £170 each! and then they went out of stock..

They were in the top 2 of all the various winter tyre tests...

Youu might be able to get a lesser brand still, and that will probably be much better than a summer tyre in the ice & snow - but given that you will want these for a few years, you might be better waiting and taking your pick from the premium brands again in the summer at much lower prices...

I just wanted to mention a little conversation I had with my Father in law recently, picking him up from the airport. I said to him, I've invested in some winter tyres recently and can drive along snowy UK roads quite easily and with no drama. His response was: "I don't see the point of buying expensive winter tyres anyway, as I can see no differcen in driving quality comparing to summer tyres and the grip seems to be bad in snow anyway." I've asked him, what tyres did he chosee? His reply was "Some low brand ones". I asked, how old are the tyres, and he said, it's their 8th winter season now.... :blink:

I said, well no wonder you see no difference in grip :D

Do we share the same father in law?

I was trying to share some valeting knowledge with him because his car is desperate for some TLC on the paintwork. I said it could do with a good polish & wax, He said he uses Pledge when it needs it and it comes up great just using that so why bother with anything more.....

Got a set of winters 10 days ago, and it made quite a difference. The summers were quite new with good tread, but its the softer rubber that counts.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone's still chasing after winter tyres for this season, I see that mytyres have got new stocks today of the Goodyear Untragrip and the new Michelin Alpin A4 - both listed as the top performers in tyre tests.

They seem to be still priced at a premium (The Goodyears are £79 each in the standard Yaris 15" size and were only £55 back in November on the same site and also £55 back in Dec09 when I bought mine from there...), so I suspect you could save by waiting until summer to buy them, but at least of you do want them now, they do have stocks again....

Not entirely related but I have swapped to wet tyres (Uniroyal Rainsport 2) instead of summer tyres on my Yaris, I thought it made sense as our roads are wet more than they are dry. The garage I bought my car off had fitted WANLI tyres so I didn't need much of an excuse to change them, they're a deathtrap in the wet.

The garage I bought my car of had fitted WANLI tyres so I didn't need much of an excuse to change them, they're a deathtrap in the wet

It really annoys me when they do this, just to save a couple of quid for themselves. I would far rather lose £30 in the deal and have a decent set of tyres on. When I bought ours in November, I noticed the garage had fitted new "Nexen" tyres on the front which I reckon are ok in the dry, but mediocre at best in the wet. I'm now running a full set of winter tyres, but when I change back in March I might just replace the Nexens with something better

Hiya,

I have 2 new unused, unworn, never fitted Pirelli winter tyres. I have them as extra from old stock and would like to sell them. Here is some data:

Name:Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie II Winter 190 M+S (with a snowflake symbol)

Size:185/60 R15

Load index:88T (560kg)

Wall structure:XL (extra reinforced)

Type:Ecoline

Manufacturer's website: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/car/sheet/winter_snowcontrol_serie2.html

pirellim.th.jpg

They can either be picked up locally or I can arrange postal service. Am not sure about the price though. Any offers welcome before I'll put them on eBay or so. :)

As a dealer we have access to all the major tyre wholsalers, even the ones who supply tyres to the national chains. last year we looked into buying/stocking winter tyres and the demand was not what we expected, we could get stocks, but the demand just was not there. This year, the talk has been nothing but winter tyres, and we just cannot get them, or certainly cant get them with any decent lead time. If you deal with the likes of mytyres, they come in from Europe, my experience of them has been very poor but you takes your choice!

I have decided to set up a winter tyre section of our shop which will go live in a few months, it will give you the opportunity to buy winter tyres all year round and we will keep the fastest moving Toyota tyres in stock

As for making them compulsary in Winter? no chance, it wont happen anytime soon

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

I just bought a set of Michelin Alpin A4's on steel rims from mytyres.co.uk - ordered them last Saturday, I was given an estimated delivery date around the end of next week...they arrived today - just as well I happened to be in! Can't really complain about a six day turnaround. Bought from them before I saw these messages...oh well.

Looking at the text on the sidewalls, they have a low max pressure rating of just 40PSI which is something to bear in mind for those people who like to run at high pressures to improve fuel economy...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links