Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport Service - Squeaking Belt

chriskava

Hi guys,

Just coming up to the end of my first year as a T Sport owner and have just booked in for a minor service/MOT in the coming weeks. Everything's fine as far as I can tell apart from the annoyingly incessant squeak coming from the serpentine belt. It started a few months ago when starting off in cold/wet conditions but would stop after 10 - 15 minutes driving so I figured the belt was just getting wet and drying out as the engine got hot. Shortly after it started I completed 1,000 miles on a road trip down from Edinburgh to the south of England with no ill effects so this reinforced my decision not to have it looked at immediately. However, since the snow and ice have melted away I've had it out for a couple of 50/60 mile motorway/A road blasts and unfortunately at the end of each I've still been hearing the squeak. I've decided I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and have the garage look at it but I wanted to go in there at least marginally prepared, so....

1) Has anyone had recent experience of this? From previous reading it seems to be a relatively common problem.

2) If so, do you have a ballpark figure for corrective action? I guess I'm looking at potentially three issues - the belt itself needs replaced (though from what I can see it doesn't look to have obvious widespread cracking or other deterioration), the tensioner needs replaced or it's neither and it's actually one of the pulleys, any idea how much each might set me back?

3) If the belt itself needs replaced does anyone know of a superior part in the UK I might be able to ask for? I've read a bit about the gatorback belts in the US but haven't been able to come across them here, I'd rather not have this problem recur in another 6 months time if a premium part would help prevent it.

Thank very much for your help!

Hi this is a common fault and we have changed lots of belts but as im in a dealership we always use genuine parts it may be worth trying a non genuine belt another trick we use is get a fat wax crayon and hold it on both sides of the belt whilst the engine is running BEWARE you could lose your fingers be really carefull i take no responsobility for damage to you or your car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links