Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Car Key For Auris

aaronauris

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I am being given the run round by everyone regarding getting a new key for my 07 Auris so thought I would ask for some advice here... I bought the car with only key which has the unlock and lock buttons. Toyota initially quoted me £45 for a standard (no buttons) key and £200 for a button one. Now they tell me that I can only get a key like the one the car was issued with. My local locksmith believes they can make me one with a transponder (by copying my current key) for £35 quid. This would not have the buttons to open and close but would have a chip that their machine would copy the info on my original onto so the immobilser would work. Does anyone know if this will work? Has anyone not used Toyota to get their replacement keys?

Thanks for any help in advance!!

The locksmith is correct in theory - I had one for my Megane before I got my Auris, and it worked fine as a spare... can't guarantee it would work on the Auris though...

On past cars i have bought spare remote keys off eBay and programmed them work with the car, but that was VAG and they are very easy to do, and have multiple keys available on the same frequency so i was able to pick a nice looking replacement instead of the bog standard offering.

Its a shame Toyota don't seem to have a similar method.

Check the last link.....it seems that the procedure outlined only works on early Corollas. I wonder what a dealer would charge to programme a key (£30) sourced from eBay? Come to that what is the dealer price of the key minus programming?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I decided to go back to the locksmith and see if he would offer me a refund if the key with the copied key didnt work. He was a bit shakey about whether it would and wouldnt offer me a refund so I have left it for now. The eBay thing is tempting but it didnt work when a friend tried it. I might just go to Toyota now the £200 plus quote is a bit of a joke but I suppose if I was to lose the key it would be several hundred to fix things....

Hi everyone- just to update- I buckled and tried a copied key from my locksmith which did not work. However, Brucee, I have found a Toyota garage that will reprogramme an eBay bought Auris key as per Totallyreliable's advice for £35.

• 5 years later...

That update makes a tone of sense. When you said that the Locksmith said he " believes they can make [you] one" that should have been an indication that you needed to find alternative means. Anyone can cut you a key that is going to fit your car. Because you have a key that fits, that means that you can circumvent locksmiths and the dealership altogether. (An answer which you seem to have stumbled upon all on your own.) I have a further question, are you going to buy the eBay key? If you are, see if you can find out the transponder reprogram procedure online. If you are not buying the key, and the full price is 35 pounds, do that. The price seems a little too good to be true, but if it is legit, go for it.

I personally like the DIY option, if it is at all possible. And in your case, I believe it is a perfectly reasonable course of action. First off, buy a key blank with a blank transponder chip. Then get the key cut. All you will need is a laser cutter with duplication capabilities. Though a "laser cutter" may sound like a futuristic device...it is not. All it is is a metal router bit. No lasers, and not a brand name. Most home improvement stores will have these (at least they do in the states). Use your key to have a duplicate made. Then go through the reprogramming procedure. I would highly suggest maybe going somewhere other than eBay for the key. Try and get a site that offers phone service. There might be a little troubleshooting required for the process of reprograming the transponder, and it always helps to have someone on your side helping. This will undoubtedly be cheaper than other options unless those guys are really going to buy a replacement key (which should be more than 35 pounds) and reprogram it for 35 pounds.

I am a little skeptical, but whatever works, works.  Good luck to you!