Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vsc/tcs/engine Warning Lights - Smell Of Burned Gummy/plastic

sp00ky

Hi all,

I have Avensis 2.0 D4D 2007 126hp 90k km, today when I came to job from lunch I was smell burned plastic/gummy around the car. I was thought maybe is something in the air and I was go to work. Later when I was finish with the job and after starting engine warning lights for VSC, TCS and engine symbol is stayed ON, I was start to drive to home and notice that nothing of brake assistance (tcs, vsc) does not work, engine performance was OK.

When I park car home (after 10km), I was feel same smell of burned plastic/gummy.

Tomorrow I will try to read codes with my old ELM327 and see if I can find something, also I have previously scheduled regular service to Friday (regular service @90.000km) and that is the only luck i have :(

I'm owner of the car for last 6 months, now when i'm thinking , i think that i was feel that burned smell before (sometimes, not always). I was mentioned that to Mr.T when i was booking regular service.

I see other posts and seems this is very common error (except smell) and can be related to DPF, EGR, catalytic c.,fuel and so on...

What can I expect in my case ????

P.S.sry for my english, is not my natural language

post-96050-0-82566300-1294274726_thumb.j

hi again,

UPDATE:

I was connected my old ELM327 1.3a interface to car and working great :)

When I started reading DTC errors warning lights is still ON, then i was started car and put car working on idle warning lights is still ON. I was turn off engine after 2-3 minutes working on idle, take out/take in key and set ignition to position ON (no started engine) and now warning lights are off after self-test (everything seems normal) !!!

I'm not clear error code, it's still there. I hope that Mr.T. will explain what could be happen tomorrow at service

P0090 $10-Engine Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Circuit

post-96050-0-46396300-1294319597_thumb.p

post-96050-0-20921900-1294325397_thumb.p

UPDATE:

I was drive now 25km on mixed road, everything works and no warning lights ON. Even no smell of burned plastic/gummy after drive.

It is probably worth getting Toyota to check the car over. It is a fairly young car and smells like the one you describe are never good news. Better safe than sorry.

It is probably worth getting Toyota to check the car over. It is a fairly young car and smells like the one you describe are never good news. Better safe than sorry.

I was receive call from Toyota, they say that they can't find any error or evidence related to problem with warning lights and smell of burned plastic/gummy :eek: :eek: :eek:

They find only one error (probably same that i find) in ECU, but they say that is not related to my problems

They do just regular service @90k.

I don't know what to do now, I can't relax ... any suggestion ? :ffs:

I was receive call from Toyota, they say that they can't find any error or evidence related to problem with warning lights and smell of burned plastic/gummy :eek: :eek: :eek:

They find only one error (probably same that i find) in ECU, but they say that is not related to my problems

They do just regular service @90k.

I don't know what to do now, I can't relax ... any suggestion ? :ffs:

Yes ..... get that in writing from Toyota then if things go wrong it should leave you in a better position, until then enjoy driving your car ;).

Good luck .... Pete.

Yes ..... get that in writing from Toyota then if things go wrong it should leave you in a better position, until then enjoy driving your car ;).

Good luck .... Pete.

Well I was pick my car, after short discuss I got write on paper resolution that is everything ok :) (thx for reminding, I was totally forget for that)

However, seems that ELM327 1.3a does not work well, yesterday I was found only one error P0090 and according to Mr.T. they found four totally different errors:

P0088

C1300

C1249

C1201

I don't know what they mean, but if someone already know feel free and write here :)

I will take look tomorrow @ AutoData

P.S.

Service @90k

- Motor oil

- Oil filter

- Activated carbon cabin filter (on my request)

- brake fluid 0,75 !?

- work

total: 3824sek (ca. 346 GBP)

UPDATE:

I was found what this codes represents:

P0088 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High

C1201 - Brake Boost Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

C1249 - Open circuit in stop light switch circuit

C1300 - Malfunction in ECU

Also I found some Toyota known fixes and bulletins which related to this error and/or engine type:

Known fixes and bulletins 1

Bulletin

Affected vehicles - All models, 07/07.

Problem - Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated. Trouble codes stored: P0088, P0093. Engine control module (ECM) in limp home mode.

Cause - High-pressure fuel pump internally damaged.

Remedy - Replace high-pressure fuel pump. Install upgraded engine control module (ECM) software.

Known fixes and bulletins 2

Bulletin

Affected vehicles - All models, 03/07.

Problem - Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated.Trouble code stored: P0400.Engine control module (ECM) in limp home mode.

Cause - Engine control module (ECM) software fault.

Remedy - Install upgraded engine control module (ECM) software.

Known fixes and bulletins 3

Bulletin

Affected vehicles - All models, 03/07.

Problem - Poor idling. Failure to start.

Cause - Engine control module (ECM) software fault.

Remedy - Install upgraded engine control module (ECM) software.

Known fixes and bulletins 4

Known fix

Affected vehicles

Corolla Verso/CombiVan, engine code: 2AD-FHV (VIN NMTEB16R30R067215).

Avensis, engine code: 1AD-FTV (VIN SB1DD56L40E018674).

Avensis, engine code: 2AD-FHV (VIN SB1BA56L50E060478).

Problem - Sudden power loss on acceleration.Whistling noise from engine.

Cause -Retaining clamps not securing turbocharger (TC) intercooler hoses sufficiently.

Remedy -Replace turbocharger (TC) intercooler hoses and retaining clamps.

Hi,

I had a similar issue with tc,eng management and abs light staying on.found I could reset it with a Battery disconnect but brought to mr t.

He reported a glow plug fault, could someone check the code if I got it from Toyota.they said the p,ug sometime sieze in the head leading to a head off and e1000 bill. ,,,,,!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links