Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Transmission Fluid

adhocltd

Hi guys

New to this forum so apologies for any errors of etiquette.

I have recently purchased a 52 plate Avensis 1.8vvti automatic. I believe the model is 1ZZFE although I am not

totally sure how to ascertain this.

It drives really well, but from a standstill when engaging drive, the car lurches somewhat.

On speaking to a Toyota dealer, he advised me to check the level of the transmission fluid.

This I have done and the level registers as hot whether the motor is hot or cold.

I siphoned a little of the fluid out and by it's condition I would say it has been in there for the full 65k.

Obvious answer = drain and refill (although I have yet to go searching for the drain plug.)

My problem is that nowhere in the documentation I have nor the service manual I bought can I find any

details on which fluid to use or how much the transmission will take.

Can anyone out there help me.

Thank you.

John

Hi guys

I have recently purchased a 52 plate Avensis 1.8vvti automatic. I believe the model is 1ZZFE although I am not

It drives really well, but from a standstill when engaging drive, the car lurches somewhat.

On speaking to a Toyota dealer, he advised me to check the level of the transmission fluid.

This I have done and the level registers as hot whether the motor is hot or cold.

I siphoned a little of the fluid out and by it's condition I would say it has been in there for the full 65k.

Obvious answer = drain and refill (although I have yet to go searching for the drain plug.)

My problem is that nowhere in the documentation I have nor the service manual I bought can I find any

Thank you.

John

Hi John welcome to the forum, I have attached a file in regards to the transmission fluid.

Regards Pete.

post-74463-0-40841100-1294416443_thumb.j

Hi guys

Thank you.

John

Hi John welcome to the forum, I have attached a file in regards to the transmission fluid.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Excuse my ignorance but can I use either of these lubricants in the volumes described or is

one more suitable than the other.

Regards

John

Hi guys

Thank you.

John

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Excuse my ignorance but can I use either of these lubricants in the volumes described or is

one more suitable than the other.

Regards

John

Hi John, both fluid types are the same .... ATF typeT- IV so that's OK, the other numbers mentioned (may) refer to the gearbox type but i'm not 100% sure on that one.

Pete.

Edit:- John take a look at this to ID your transmission http://mr2.phpwerx.n...ntification.pdf

it will be U241F or U341E it shows where the ID is on the box.

Apart from the advice already given on ATF fluids, capacities etc, you will find that the vehicle will lurch when it is started from cold due to the "cold start" running the engine at much higher revs until it gets warm. Where I live on a slope, after starting, I let the car roll to about walking pace & then select "D (drive)" to lessen the lurch that you rightly describe. With the fluid level check, are you checking with the engine running, very important? The most accurate readings will be obtained with the fluid hot after at least 30 mins driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links