Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Vvti Fast Idle Help!

midlifecrisis1

I have a 2003 vvti, idle is 2000 rpm, checked hoses, air filter and repaired a crack in the airbox, local garage said they cleaned the throttle body but I'm not sure as they only charged me a tenner. Now if it was an air leak you would expect a high idle but if i pull off a hose the idle slows down albeit a bit rough, i put my finger over the hose and the engine is sucking well but as i block the air off the idle increases! so it would seem there is not enough air? I don't know, it seems a bit slow to drop off after dabbing the accelerator, car drives well but with the idle at 2000rpm it's not good at low speeds and sounds daft sitting at the lights, any ideas?

Also, on the bottom of the airbox there is a small chamber which doesn't appear to be internally connected to the airbox but has lugs for 2 small hoses (one is snapped off) anyone know what this is? and I didn't mention before at 23000 miles could it be carbon deposits? The car has been a cat C frontal, thus the broken airbox I have repaired, and all the pipes were left loose as was one of the Battery terminals, seems like a bit of a shoddy repair or maybe someone was trying to fix this problem, I bought the car 2 weeks ago and it had this problem then.

I've checked cable stop and cable tension, It does seem like the idle is just set too high so does anyone know if a throttle body problem could cause this? the cable stop and throttle position is correct mechanically that is externally.

Today I did a diagnostics check, no codes, but the throttle position at idle is reading 11.4% anyone got obd readings from a healthy car I can compare?

FIXED IT!!! got a hammer and a big screwdriver and had a careful tap all over the throttle body, the revs dropped to normal, gonna get some cleaner in and around it and some fuel additive.