Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve Cleaning?

Rbdett

If you want to clean a 2.2d4d egr valve then follow these instructions : http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241&hl=%20caveman_si%20%20egr&st=0

Its in the auris forum but its the same engine and very good guide on how to clean it. ive done it a few times. Have fun

and be safe!!! That soot in an EGR valve has been burnt at very high temperatures and contains all sorts of nasties, use gloves and a mask, avoid breathing cleaning fluids and dust............unless your into that type of thing :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yeah, that soot is a really fine powder; Don't air-blast or vacuum, esp. in an enclosed space - This stuff is like printer toner and it'll go right through the filters of most vacuum cleaners!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just like to say that I bought a 2005 Avensis 2.0 D4D last week, and during the test drive all appeared fine. However it soon became apparent that after a period of driving it became dangerously sluggish when pulling out or climbing in low gear. I did an EGR clean today with the help information from this forum site and the car is now driving like a peach. Thanks a lot.

• 4 months later...

Hi All, I cleaned my EGR valve and car was still sluggish, took the turbo off and found that it was clogged with soot also so I cleaned that out. Still sluggish and still had the engine management light on, VSC and TRC lights on also. Cleaned the 5th injector and after that lights went out and all seemed to be fine but then it became intermittent. The car is sluggish climbing hills and I can feel the car kick when the turbo kicks in. Got in touch with a toyota mechanic who checked all the work I had done and advised that the EGR valve is sticking open. I phoned toyota directly who have asked for my service history (which is fully up to date and services at regular intervals) and my tax book. They said toyota might meet me half way and pay for 50% of the EGR valve and i pay the other 50% plus labour or they may replace the EGR and I'll have to pay labour only as part of good will. Going to see them later so will let you know.

Hi,

I have a TX3 Jan 07 'facelift' model. Mentioned at 60,000 mile service that mpg wasn't as good as it had been. Toyota dealer checked everything and discovered EGR valve was sluggish. I had a full service history so dealer made a case to Toyota for a free replacement. Mr T said yes, so I got a £300 bill paid for by Toyota.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

• 1 year later...

egr valve have electrical connections you have to disconnect first remove the bolts that is attached to the egr valve assembly to the engine. if you have a manual it is much easier to remove though and use a chemical resistant glove when cleaning your egr valve it like ink cartridges not easy to remove on hands.

hp 901xl inkjet cartridge from InkJetSuperStore.com

• 1 year later...

i had the problem with the egr valve ( i suspect) starting was a real pain, especially when cold.. start up and die, start up and die etc etc.

had
it cleaned out and it was full of carbon. also ran through the fuel
cleaner and checked injectors, changed engine temp sensor, strated
great after that this was within last 3-4 month, but it is now creeping
back to its old ways agin. could more cack have moved back into it
again alkready?

I add forte red to a full tank of fuel.

Once you've cleaned the egr that stuff will keep it clean.

Google that product.

Forte green fuel saver every other month ;)

• 7 months later...

Can I use WD40 to clean my EGR?

You can use pretty much whatever you like, bearing in mind that the muck you'll get in the EGR depends on the fuel type. If you're running a diesel, it's likely to be somewhat harder to remove. Try it and see. You'll probably have to scrape it off (carefully!) whatever fluid you use.

Most people use carb cleaner because it's more effective at 'loosening' the carbonised crud that builds up. On the other hand, WD40 isn't likely to damage the electrical parts like carb cleaner could. Plus, of course, if you get WD40 on your hands you'll just smell odd for a while, get covered with carb cleaner and...well, just don't!

It's your choice...let us know how it goes!

Can I use WD40 to clean my EGR?

You can use pretty much whatever you like, bearing in mind that the muck you'll get in the EGR depends on the fuel type. If you're running a diesel, it's likely to be somewhat harder to remove. Try it and see. You'll probably have to scrape it off (carefully!) whatever fluid you use.

Most people use carb cleaner because it's more effective at 'loosening' the carbonised crud that builds up. On the other hand, WD40 isn't likely to damage the electrical parts like carb cleaner could. Plus, of course, if you get WD40 on your hands you'll just smell odd for a while, get covered with carb cleaner and...well, just don't!

It's your choice...let us know how it goes!

Well I cleaned mine yesterday with wd40 and a very hard wire brush on a drill bit. Came out quite shiney tbh but my car is still a bit sluggish. Iv also cleaned the maf sensor and changed the air filter. What I didnt do is have a go at cleaning the manifold. Dnt know how Id do it tbh.

Must change diesel filter next and see if that helps.

Be a good idea to clean the everything that's connected to the EGR valve body, or at least check it to see if it needs cleaning. Process would be the same. In Haynes manual speak: "Remove it, clean it, put it back."

Not something I'm looking forward to having to do but mine's still pretty new so hopefully that's some way off...

Be a good idea to clean the everything that's connected to the EGR valve body, or at least check it to see if it needs cleaning. Process would be the same. In Haynes manual speak: "Remove it, clean it, put it back."

Not something I'm looking forward to having to do but mine's still pretty new so hopefully that's some way off...

Lol @ Haynes manual speak: "Remove it, clean it, put it back."

Ill have a go at it if the diesel filter change doesnt help. Weather permitting obviously.

Do you have any engine lights on my first Toyota?

for fuel filter this should help.

also check all rubber pipes for split and check them two boost going into the inter cooler.

I have attached diagrams to show all pipes.

post-125194-0-54882600-1413022030_thumb.

post-125194-0-97868500-1413022038_thumb.

Do you have any engine lights on my first Toyota?

No there arent any warning lights.

Let me explain whats happening.

My good ol avensis has done over 200k miles and recently I started to get blueish smoke on startup; mainly when cold. Not all the time but occasionally. The car has also felt sluggish in recent weeks and the economy is also quite low. What really surprised me was the oil level was really low. I mean barely touching the dipstick at all. So I topped it up with oil 5w30 fully syn. And a few weeks later that had gone too.

So I took it to my trusted mechanic who thought because of the age of the car and its mileage its probably valve seals, piston rings or turbo causing the problem. He suggested using 10w40 instead. So I did. The car seems to have held this grade of oil but the mpg has dropped further. So I thought Id start with the basics and see if air/fuel filter change help as well as EGR valve clean and forte diesel treatment.

Its not due an oil change for another 4000miles yet so lets see if any of the things Im doing help. Any other suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

Blue smoke is produced by oil being burned, like your mechanic suggested. Fuel treatments won't help a jot with that, it's due to wear and tear or something broken. Most likely wear and tear if it came on over a period of time. It'll speed up clogging of your EGR so you will need to keep an eye on that as well.

Personally I'd have the thing examined to determine exactly what the problem is, could be a simple relatively inexpensive fix or something that's barely worthwhile. Problem is, until you know exactly what the issue is, you won't know if its worth fixing or not.

Blue smoke is produced by oil being burned, like your mechanic suggested. Fuel treatments won't help a jot with that, it's due to wear and tear or something broken. Most likely wear and tear if it came on over a period of time. It'll speed up clogging of your EGR so you will need to keep an eye on that as well.

Personally I'd have the thing examined to determine exactly what the problem is, could be a simple relatively inexpensive fix or something that's barely worthwhile. Problem is, until you know exactly what the issue is, you won't know if its worth fixing or not.

You're right I should get it checked properly. On that day he was really busy and so couldnt check it properly. He did say he'd have to take the rocker cover off to check it properly which would take him a while. He didnt have the time to do that so I just told him about the problem.

He did say that money wise we're looking at minimum £500 for the valve seals as the head has to come off. Piston rings would be more than that. And the turbo would be even more.

I think I should take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Personally I would get it checked properly, if it is turbo get a used one with some kind of warranty. Cannot see it being more than £500.

The used turbo's on these are quite sought after= they arrange from 150-220 on the used market.

Minimum of £500!, I rather put a used engine in with lower miles.

I'm sure this guy advises how check the turbo;

• 1 year later...

Hi there I have  a toyota avensis verso d4d egr valve  proplem!! Management  light  on!! and very smoky!! when I start up!!  Any ideas  of the code  on the valve  so I know what to look for!!?  What type  of  valve  suites this make? ?