Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Or Gearbox Noise

andyb8

Hi all - new to the forum so thanks in advance for reading about the problem!

I've just purchased a 2002 1.6 vvti Corolla, and it has started to make a sort of grinding or rattling noise when in gear only. On start-up in neutral the car sounds normal, clutch pedal pressed or not. But as soon as I drive and get to 3rd, 4th and 5th gear there is a rattling sound coming from the engine area. It is definitely mechanical ie not wheel bearing related, and the noise disappears as soon as I press the clutch when I’m driving. The noise seems to be more apparent in 4th and 5th gear at around 30 to 40mph, but I think it may be there whenever I am not pressing the clutch and I have a feeling that the noise may be just quieter and hidden under engine noise in lower gears.

The main problem I have is that I have taken it to 2 different trusted mechanics to confirm the problem - one says that it is the thrust bearing and that the rest of my clutch is on its last legs, the other says its the gearbox and that they were faulty on this model. Both are adamant that they are correct and I don't want to risk paying for work on the car if it is not going to fix the problem, as both gearboxes and clutches are expensive!

Other than the noise the car drives relatively well and it has low mileage for its age, 44,000.

Please let me know your thoughts so that I can decide which route to go down 1st!

Thanks.

hi had a toyota avensis slightly older but the same noise went on for several years truth be my wife kept telling me about it but i thought it was nothing but to make her happy i had a complete new cluch kit fitted. Would you belive it never cured it in the end it turned out to be the bearings or something in the gear box. Had second hand box fitted £300 including labour, gear box only had 40k on and it cured it apparently it was a common problem on the avensis but could be what you have??? let us know how you get on good luck. :thumbsup:

hi had a toyota avensis slightly older but the same noise went on for several years truth be my wife kept telling me about it but i thought it was nothing but to make her happy i had a complete new cluch kit fitted. Would you belive it never cured it in the end it turned out to be the bearings or something in the gear box. Had second hand box fitted £300 including labour, gear box only had 40k on and it cured it apparently it was a common problem on the avensis but could be what you have??? let us know how you get on good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply - i'll get looking for second hand gearboxes then, think a new or reconditioned one is a bit out of my price range at the moment! Thanks for your help again.