Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Xt5 Rear Door Check Strap

billbonham

I've just bought a 2007 RAV4 XT5 2.2 D4D to replace my ageing Audi Allroad.

I'm very pleased with it but really could do with replacing the check strap on the rear door to allow it to open a full 90 degrees.

I realise it's against UK regulations but hey, I'll only open it that far when there aren't any bureaucrats around!

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an extended check strap please as I'm having difficulty locating one on the web.

Also any tips for fitting would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bill and may I be the first to welcome you to a great forum.

The member you need is Parts King ako Kingo

If you do a search you will find the fitting info is in the "pinned"section.

Follow the excellent instruction and it is not too diffo a job,even I managed it!!

It has also been suggested sticking reflective tape on the edge of the door or you could do the same as me and stick red reflecters on.

you will find there is all the information you will ever need on here,if not you only have to ask as there are many knowledgeable folk here

Del

PM me for a price, they have gone up a lot recently :yes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Welcome Bill.

Actually, I have one of the extended ones, previously purchased new from Kingo and removed from my 2007 XT5 before I got my XT-R.

I've been meaning to put it up for sale, but not got around to it. It's in tip-top condition.

Send me a PM, if you'd like to make me an offer for it.

I can do some photos of it, if you want.

Sorry Kingo - Competition here. :D.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits SHCM, blinkin part time traders :D: :D:

Yes, thanks, they will be good company for the fleas from 2000 camels that have already taken up residence. :thumbsup: :D.

Yes, thanks, they will be good company for the fleas from 2000 camels that have already taken up residence. :thumbsup: :D.

Sounds like a right old fleapit,or is it left? :unsure::rolleyes:

Follow the excellent instruction and it is not too diffo a job,even I managed it!!

It has also been suggested sticking reflective tape on the edge of the door or you could do the same as me and stick red reflecters on.

you will find there is all the information you will ever need on here,if not you only have to ask as there are many knowledgeable folk here

Del

Brilliant. Thanks for that - I'll definitely follow it up.

What a great forum!

Bill

Del

What a great forum!

Bill

I have sent you a PM, read it before you rush into anything.

Phil

Del

What a great forum!

Bill

I have sent you a PM, read it before you rush into anything.

Phil

Hi bill + welcome, even I fitted one of these in about 30mins + I am the forum idiot :rolleyes: any way whilst you have the rear door panel off it may be an idea to run a feed off the useless boot light should you ever want to fit better lighting, a few of us have done this + it would save you having to do it twice, both items are covered in technical hints at the top of the page or look HERE :thumbsup: Stew..Quick PS there is nothing wrong about fitting a 90dgr check strap, when the door is fully open for those of us who have superior ravs :P with a spare on the back, the spare obscures the O/S rear lights :yes:

....Quick PS there is nothing wrong about fitting a 90dgr check strap, when the door is fully open for those of us who have superior ravs :P with a spare on the back, the spare obscures the O/S rear lights :yes:

First PIMP I did when I got my RAV :thumbsup:

90 degree checkstrap totally transforms the usability of the boot, and that is no exaggeration :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very pleased with it but really could do with replacing the check strap on the rear door to allow it to open a full 90 degrees.

I realise it's against UK regulations but hey, I'll only open it that far when there aren't any bureaucrats around!

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an extended check strap please as I'm having difficulty locating one on the web.

I've recently asked a relative in Florida to source one for me. It came out at $120 plus local taxes plus any postage. I'm still using the old one!

£57.05 Inc p&p and vat on the Japarts site. So now the question is - Is Kingo cheaper?!?

Something I am definately considering doing.

Given that my current Grand Vitara, complete with spare wheel on the rear door, does allow 90 degree opening that obscures the offside rear light cluster I queried the legislation on this with a good friend of mine in the constabulary. He states that no regulation is contravened by this as long as the vehicle is stationary as, on the 4.2 at least, there is still a red reflector on the bumper quarter that shows from below the door. So fit the strap with a clear conscience whether you get it from Kingo or our flea-ridden friend!

The business about the reflective tape on the door is sound common sense though.

Mike D

The check strap allows the door to open to the full 90 degrees thus allowing the spare wheel to obscure the obligatory light, reflectors don't count. Grey import cars with 90 degree opening doors passed this test by removal of the spare and refitting it later. This early checkstrap fits both Rav4 1s & 2s if you change the whole thing, but not Rav4 3s. This reg doesn't apply in Ireland or mainland Europe.

This doesn't happen on the Grand Vitara as the sidelight is in the bumper below the spare wheel when the door is open and can be seen. You could fit a small, red 5w light to the edge of the door and connect it to inside boot light and be legal when the door is open but I didn't bother, nobody seems to know the regs but...

Hope that's of some use. Below is a quote from the regs:

UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations

UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 paragraphs 19 and 24 refer to the visibility of vehicle lights. It is an offence for the structure of the body or any devices used in conjunction with the body to obscure the visibility of any obligatory lights. For full details and clarification please refer to the above regulations. Specifically, paragraph 19 refers to the constructors responsibilities (vehicle body-builder for example) and paragraph 24 refers to the vehicle driver's / operator's responsibilities

• 4 months later...

PM me for a price, they have gone up a lot recently :yes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi, new to the forum

Sorry tried to PM you but can't, do you have a rear door check strap and front drivers door check strap for a 2002 3 door RAV4 nrg wt?

Thanks