Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Rails On Tourer (2003-2006) - Strength & Load Rating?

merlinz

Please excuse my re-posting this as I think the previous title wasn't clear enough and I couldn't edit the title once it was submitted.

I'm seriously considering buying an Avensis wagon (2004-2006) as our next vehicle for reasons of safety, comfort, reliability, and am keenly interested in information about the composition, strength and load rating of the roof rails.

My concerns about the Avensis rail design is that the rails are supported only at the ends, i.e. there is no intermediate 'foot' as on the Subaru Legacy we currently have; and although the rails themselves feel reasonably strong, they look almost as though they might be made of plastic. Because the plastic end covers are flimsy, I imagine one would need to keep clear of them when mounting the bars, thus limiting the separation between the bars.

The reason for the enquiry is that we occasionally carry a couple of sea kayaks, for which we use Thule aero bars and Thule kayak cradles. Having dependable roof rails is a priority because we don't want the kayaks coming off the car. They're not particularly heavy but they must surely create a significant wind load. Kayaks are about 5.1m long and speed limit in NZ is 100 km/hr.

Assuming the 04-06 avensis in NZ is the T25 and the same as the one in europe I cant see why you should have any issues.

Ive got a 2008 T180 tourer and I kayak and I regularly carry creekboats on the roof in the UK at motorway speed and never have any issues. Ive taken a few creekboats and a road bike on the roof down the german autobahns and cruised at 120mph and peaked at over 130mph and again no issues. AS roof rails go I think they are rock soild. Its just a shame for me that the new avensis the T27 does come with rails.

Usual caveats make sure you have got decent roof bars to across the rails and space the bars appropriate distance apart for the load and tie down at the ends etc.

happy paddling

Usual caveats make sure you have got decent roof bars to across the rails and space the bars appropriate distance apart for the load and tie down at the ends etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd have the bars as close to the ends of the rails as possible, but would avoid having the bar mounts going over those plastic end caps.

I've never perceived a need to tie the ends down when carrying kayaks on the Legacy but perhaps that's foolish.

What do you tie onto at the front, towing hitch?