Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles From A Tank?

ChillAygo

Hi ! I'm new and I got almost 100 miles before 1st bar goes then same again for 2nd but after that it seems to go down faster. Worked out at 53.3 mpg on my commute. What is the max anyone has put in their tank? The tank is 35L they say and I put 34.78L... How many litres in reserve then? Less than 5L ? When I filled up again I put 34.5L in... Eeek !!!

The most i have put in my car is 33.25 liters which took me 461.2 miles. Funny thing was the car was still on 2 'bars' of fuel and so far 3 years into owning the car i haven't ever seen the fuel light or heard the fuel beep...

The fuel meter does go down faster after the first 2 bars have gone. i usually get about:

120-150 miles from the first

100-110 miles from the second

70 miles from the third

50 miles 4th & 5th

But it does depend on the weather the traffic jams and how i drive.

I normally get just under 50mpg- my commute is very short and most of my driving is in town. I generally fill up when the last bar starts flashing around 340 miles. Best mpg I have had is 67 when the car had less than 3000 miles on clock- filled up after just short of 500 miles.

Motorway driving at 60mph, I get around 65mpg. At 70 mph it's around 60 mpg. With aircon on that falls to around 55 mpg. I'm not sure what the final warning is on the fuel gauge as I've never let it get that low. 370 - 400 miles is usually where I fill it on two bars or just into the flashy one.

It's pretty good for economy and free road tax / congestion charge, and it still easily does 90 mph on the motorway when you're in a bit of a hurry! Engine braking is good too, after 10k miles the brake pads are still only 5% worn.

• 2 years later...

I've never driven a car I've not been able to achieve or exceed the manufacturers figures (on brim tests not by tripometer) with the exception of an Insignia I hired for a week back in 2012, that was atrocious!

Even in my 3.0 Audi quattro I've managed to squeeze 920 miles out of a single tank.

So am looking forward to our 400 miles up to Scotland in July...will brim the tank (adding a double shot of Millers petrolmax) and leave at silly-o'clock to arrive in time for brekkies...

Will report back but think I can achieve 65mpg+ and over 500 miles, and that's in an MMT

• 2 months later...

My first comment is that the Aygo tank only holds 7.7 gallons (35 Litre) not the 8.4 Gallons quoted earlier in this thread.

I have recently upgraded from an Aygo Fire 2012, which achieved an overall fuel consumption of 55.62 MPG over 13,500 miles.

The highest mileage between fill-ups was 413 miles, and the best economy was 59.82 MPG. (very good when compared to my Jeep Cherokee, which returned an overall 24.49 MPG).

As for the gauge bars, these are extremely skewed to top end, with first two bars giving 100+ miles each, but this reduces drastically over the next four bars. i.e. 3 bars left does NOT mean 50% fuel remaining (more like 20-30%)

My new 2015 Aygo X-clusiv manual (still on first tank of fuel) is supposed to be more frugal, so it will be interesting to see what this returns.

Brimmed tank, and I mean brimmed with a jerry can so that I could see the fuel. It does take 8 gallons inc the filler neck

Then did the same on arriving in Glasgow after 405 miles and it took 29 liters, so 6.38 gallons which I calculate as 63.5mpg.

That's with tyre pressure correct and fully laden and fluids at correct levels and new air and cabin filters.

Coming back 27.2l so 67mpg (am guessing more downhill? :dontgetit: ) both ways with air-con on, albeit low for maintaining concentration.

Ambient air temp circa 16 degrees

Two passengers totalling 270lbs

100lbs of luggage

Tesco unleaded at 94ppl (after vouchers)

If this is an improvement on what others have achieved then can only be down to the Millers additive

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just had my first top up (23.95 Litres) and achieved a disappointing 51.06 MPG. I'm hoping this is because it is new (270Miles on clock) and that things will improve as engine beds in.

Anyone notice what effect the speed limiter has on fuel consumption? Annoyingly, one can't display MPG when using limiter.

• 1 month later...

Well, economy has improved slightly, my last fill up was 52.87 MPG for 346 miles (overall 52.70 MPG for 1344 miles) [my 2012 model averaged 55.62 MPG for 13,450 Miles]

Disappointing, but a lot better than my old Jeep Cherokee, but still nowhere near Toyota's claim of 65 MPG.

Why oh why can't ALL manufacturers give realistic figures, I'm sure they are all fully aware that consumption on a test track/laboratory is no match to real driving and their results fool no-one.

Mike

PS For those who like to see MPG whilst driving and using the speed limiter, just change display to car information and voila, there it is in all its glory, with a historical graph to boot!

My car is telling me I'm getting 67mpg. In the real world that's 370 miles for £28 which is very impressive. I don't hammer it though and live outside of the city so no traffic lights and I get mainly good runs around 50mph.

Martin

I too live in the sticks, so that shouldn't be the problem. I certainly don't hammer it and am doing a lot of lift and coast, but consumption ruggedly sticking to around 51-53 mpg.

I see from your profile that you have a 2010 model, however, the one I'm complaining about is my new one, which is a 2015 model. Despite garage's assurances that it would be better, It is worse than my previous 2012 model, but even with that I never got higher than 59.5 mpg.

It is quite funny when you think about it. Here we are complaining of only getting 56+ mpg, when my Jeep only gave 24 mpg, and my old MX5 gave me 35 on a good day.

I need to update my profile. Now have a 2015 X Pression. The seat comfort is killing me though so if the new back rest doesn't do the trick I'm selling it.

got to agree , the mpg is lower than expected only acheive 54mpg maximum if driven carefully at around 55mph. this is mostly country roads between towns.havent done a brim to brim. but did note the "miles to empty" and when fuel light came on it was pretty accurate.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have now clocked 2000 miles, and the average MPG per fillup is stuck between 46.6 and 55.36! The overall average is coming in at 50.79 (compared with 56 on my 2013 Aygo Fire, over 13500 miles).

After I brimmed the tank, it was telling me the new range was 352 miles, what MPG figure does it use to calculate this? Using my own estimation, with approx 33 litres of usable fuel in the tank, this only works out at 48.5 MPG, hardly mindblowing.

Whilst on the same subject, does anyone know how much is left in tank when warning light comes on i.e how big is the fuel reserve? When this last happened, the range was indicating 20 Miles (I chickened out and refilled it asap, range had dropped to 11 by then). I don't like driving when it is that low, but different circumstance may arise when I'll have to wing it, and forewarned is forearmed.

Mike

My 2007 C1 manged 58mpg, the 2010 Aygo managed 61mpg and the new one is miles better near 67mpg. At £1.20 a litre I was getting 10p a mile on the 2010 model, now it's around 8p a mile that's if petrol was £1.20.

Been very impressed with the newer version apart from the seat comfort. The trim is an improvement, refinement and the way it soaks up the bumps. Still I don't think they are worth 12k new though compared to some of the rivals.

I can't understand how you are getting an extra 20mpg. You mention petrol price of £1.20, does that mean your using 'extra' unleaded, as our 'normal' unleaded is currently around £1.06! If I thought it would make such a great difference, I might consider using it too!

Even driving with a soft right foot, I can't seem to improve on 51ish MPG.

Mike, I think Martin is saying what he use to pay with his old car.

Appreciate even this year petrol was close to £1.20ppl, admittedly I never paid that due to 'fuelsave' being run by a large supermarket. In fact for the majority of this year I've not paid more than 99p per litre thanks to such promotions.

Apart from the Scotland run the car is not used for anything but the work run for my GF, even on that she is achieving 55mpg+, and that's just calculated on the fill (since the old model doesn't have 'range' indicator).

Up until the last fill we have always used Miller petrol additive, on this tank without the economy has dropped off somewhat, but I still suspect it will be 50+. I think most people appreciate that the ONLY difference between supermarket fuel and super duper wallet cleansing premium fuel is the additive pack, I just choose to put my own additives in at a far cheaper rate.

Our car has only done 16k miles despite it's age, but am shocked that despite being an MMT we are still getting better eco figures than the newer model in manual form. I can only think this is down to a) the additive and b) the way in which the car is driven c) the type of driving.

To qualify we rarely see a traffic jam down here since they've only just got over the horse and cart :euro:

Mark,

I wasn't sure when he bought the fuel, but simply grasping at a possible reason for his better MPG.

Since speed camera caught me coasting downhill at 35 MPH, I have been extra vigilant with my right boot, and use speed limiter in 30 & 40 zones! Despite my best efforts, I can't seem to improve the economy. I'm beginning to think there might be something amiss with the car, as it is certainly more sluggish than my 2012 model. With that car, no matter how I drove, it still returned a respectable 54ish MPG overall!

Mike, I feel for you, 2 days after I bought my Audi A6 quattro in 2012 I was stopped doing 104 on the M4, was in a rush as a friend got me ticket to the opening of the Olympics.

6 points and £125 fine later I am keen never to be caught again, so fitted one of these:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/pogo-alert-plus.htm

My saving grace in court was that the car was so new and I'd not figured out how to use the cruise or set the speed limiter. Also , if you look at my profile pic car, you'll deduce that at 70mph with a sports exhaust you can tell you're doing 70! In the Audi it was completely silent. No excuses though and totally my fault...esp since I use to be a magistrate :dontgetit:

My only recommendations would be to fit some Iridium plugs and start adding some millers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Millers-Oils-PETROL-Power-Ecomax-Fuel-Treatment-Additive-500ml-0-5L-/191626609462?hash=item2c9dd60336:g:DP8AAOSwBahVK7bG

Am assuming all pressures correct and the car is completely empty excepting you behind the wheel?

I can't really complain, BUT camera was located on a hill, and I had my foot off throttle, but hill caused my car to speed up a little.

Now had it been in my old MX5, on a country road, I certainly wouldn't have been coasting. Haha. Sadly the powers that be, slapped a 40 limit on most local roads on Gower, just to spoil our fun! There is one particular road across the common, with visibility of around 1-2 miles, open vista, no houses and no fencing to hide pedestrians etc, yet still they slapped a 40 limit on it!!

I normally travel with my wife as passenger, and have recently checked tyre pressures. Apart from that, it is as it came on showroom, 2000 miles ago!

Weirdly Mick I also use to own an MX-5 myself, mine was supercharged with methanol injection, higher lift cams and a custom made hayward & scott custom manifold and zaust 0-60 was circa 4.5secs and that was without the nitrous kit!

At the time the club pres had a widebodied conversion and was stripping out unnecessary weight to improve performance, I rather unwisely advised him to loose weight as he tipped the scales at circa 20 stones :clap:

Mine was written up in banzai in 2005, but the car had to go when we adopted two kids in 2007.

I use normal unleaded but quoted the £1.20 as an equivelent. Do you have the touch screen computer? You have to accelerate slowly, anticipate traffic stopping ahead and not go too fast. My journey takes me on routes with no traffic lights and around 50mph. Going 70 kills the economy and stopping at lights and traffic will do as well. If your keeping up with traffic then your too heavy footed.

I'm driving this one as I drove my previous model, perhaps even more frugally, yet I'm getting less MPG, instead of more.

I do have the touch screen computer, which is usually set to display car info. In 30 or 40 zones I also set the speed limiter, but whatever I do, cannot get the desired MPG - very frustrating, especially after being told by dealer that this model was more economical!

Where abouts are the bars sitting? Most of mine go over 50mpg and usually sit just under the 75mpg with some hitting the 100s. If I accelerate hard the current shows 25mpg but accelerating gently gets it around 40-50mpg. It really shows you how accelerating hard burns petrol. I rarely need to use the brakes as well by not getting close to the people in front. If you do all this and it's still bad then take it back.

• 1 month later...

i have an 07 with around 90-000 miles and i get around 90 miles before the first bar drops

• 3 years later...

I got an Emergency call to pick up an old friend from South Wales on Thursday. I filled up the tank to the top and set off, The Journey was 460 and I still had 2 Bars showing. Today I visited my brother some 16 miles away and the Fuel gage went onto 1 Bar (Reserve) at 487 miles.

My car is a 2012 Aygo Fire 5 door. It had a 15000 miles service at Halfords during last week. This statement is true.