Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Latest Safety Recall

bestseany

Heard on the BBC news this morning that Toyota are doing yet another safety recall (biggest ever single recall!).

It said in the article that certain Avensis's built between 2000 and 2008 will be affected. Is there any way of finding out which ones?

Just checked the Toyota web site and it only affects 2.0 and 2.4 petrol engines during that period. Hope that helps.

Just checked the Toyota web site and it only affects 2.0 and 2.4 petrol engines during that period. Hope that helps.

Bugger, that's me then...

Heard on the BBC news this morning that Toyota are doing yet another safety recall (biggest ever single recall!).

It said in the article that certain Avensis's built between 2000 and 2008 will be affected. Is there any way of finding out which ones?

hi all.

heared on the radio this morning it was lexus being recalled.2000 odd cars for fuel leak,though thers been no incidents of fire etc.

funny how if its toyota/lexus that makes the news after the throttle problems earlier.

in a copy of the diesel car magazine that turned up uninvited on my doorstep earlier in the week there is a section on recalls (non toyota).

in it there are 9 models of volvo, for fire may occure.

3 models of bmw for brake servo.

2 models of fiat for loss of steering.

1 model of landrover for fire may occur.

1 model of mercedes for brake problems.

funny how these faults are not as news worthy as they would been had these vehicles had been toyota.

hi all.

heared on the radio this morning it was lexus being recalled.2000 odd cars for fuel leak,though thers been no incidents of fire etc.

funny how if its toyota/lexus that makes the news after the throttle problems earlier.

in a copy of the diesel car magazine that turned up uninvited on my doorstep earlier in the week there is a section on recalls (non toyota).

in it there are 9 models of volvo, for fire may occure.

3 models of bmw for brake servo.

2 models of fiat for loss of steering.

1 model of landrover for fire may occur.

1 model of mercedes for brake problems.

funny how these faults are not as news worthy as they would been had these vehicles had been toyota.

Good morning Acetip,

I'm 100% with you on this one, there is definitely a witch hunt going on by the media against Toyota!

Regards Pete.

The Toyota press release

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY RECALLS

As a result of customer feedback in other markets worldwide, Toyota GB today announced it

would recall a number of its Toyota Avensis and Lexus IS 250 models in the UK to carry out

modifications to their fuel systems.

It is working with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) to contact registered

owners and keepers by letter to advise them of the procedure for taking their vehicle to an

authorised Toyota or Lexus repairer for the necessary repair work to be done.

Toyota Avensis

The issue affecting certain Avensis 2.0-litre and 2.4-litre petrol engine models, produced

between July 2000 and September 2008, is related to potential concerns with the fuel system.

The first concern is related to the fuel pipe, where small cracks can potentially develop after a

long period of time. The second concern is related to potential insufficient tightening of the fuel

pump check valve. In the worst case, these issues may cause fuel to leak.

There have been no reports of accidents related to this condition. No complaints related to this

issue have been reported in the UK.

The repair involves replacing the fuel pipe and the fuel pump check valve. The job will take

approximately two to four and a half hours to complete, at no cost to the customer.

Approximately 15,500 UK registered Avensis vehicles are affected by this recall.

Lexus IS 250

The issue affecting certain Lexus IS 250 petrol engine models, produced between August 2007

and February 2009, is related to the fuel pressure sensor. Due to possible insufficient tightening,

the fuel pressure sensor could loosen and in very rare cases fuel could leak.

There have been no reports of accidents related to this condition.

The repair involves retightening the fuel pressure sensor. If the fuel is leaking, the repair will

involve replacing the fuel pressure sensor gasket. The job will take approximately one hour to

complete, or three hours if the gasket needs to be replaced, at no cost to the customer.

Approximately 3,100 UK registered Lexus IS 250 vehicles are affected by this recall.

Jon Williams, Managing Director of Toyota GB PLC, said, “We are committed to putting the

customer first and have a total focus on the quality of all our products. We will liaise with our

customers to carry out the repair procedures as efficiently as possible, with minimal disruption.”

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've just checked the Toyota site with my reg number and it says my car is part of the recall.

Do I have to wait to receive a letter before I can take it in to Toyota? How will they know my address?

I've just checked the Toyota site with my reg number and it says my car is part of the recall.

Do I have to wait to receive a letter before I can take it in to Toyota? How will they know my address?

they can get it through DVLA when checking avensis owners.

When you are the worlds No1 'you' are going to get some flak thrown at you. It's not Toyotas I often see broken down on the side of the M27, its BMWs and Land-Rovers, but of course they are 'premium' brands and probably owned / driven by the jurno's.

The recall is being run in conjunction with VOSA, as with all safety related recalls,Toyota give VOSA a list of affected vehicles by chassis number, VOSA then get the DVLA to produce a list of owners against the affected chassis numbers, Toyota will then write to you and tell you. ALWAYS make sure you tell the DVLA if you move, it is legal requirement for you to keep your details current, this is one of the reasons why

Do I have to wait to receive a letter or can I just take it in?

Please WAIT for a letter, the announcement has only just been made and Toyota need to get the parts / repair procedures out to the dealer network

We could be a tad busy if 15,000 people called in today :D:

Personally, I think Toyota are getting a bum deal on this, and I would pat them on the back for being open about it. If other manufacturers had the same degree of honesty it would be a good thing.

VAG for example and B5 passat variants and the design fault around the scuttle panel where it fills with water, spilling over into the pollen filter housing and down into the convenience ECU taking out half of your electrics. Or the Geometry problem with Golf Mk5 platformed cars causing premature wear on rear tyres, or Skoda's Octavia vRS LE with soft alloys, KKK turbo failures on PD130 Engines.

At least Mr T takes a step forward and does the right thing, then get's hauled through the mire by the media.

blimey - that would have been 2 out of 3 of my Avensis, one in 2002 and one in 2005!! (then I went to Prius....)

What about if you live in Rep of Ireland?

hi roker.

there is bound to be some means of tracking owners in ireland,you can ask your dealer for advice or contact toyota direct.i did this to check if the throttle pedal had ben done on my auris.did not trust the toyota dealer where i purchased the car (s/hand).toyota confirmed they had it on record as being done and sent me written confirmation

if mod is not done then ive got the dealer by the short and curlies.

What about if you live in Rep of Ireland?

You will need to contact Toyota Ireland, I'm sure they have an equivelent VOSA over there to co-ordinate recalls

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links