Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 -Rear Fog Lights

conorbuzz

Hello All,

Rav just failed NCT(National car test) as the rear fog light switch puts a rear fog light symbol on the dash yet nothing happens.

bulbs (lowest ones on the bumper either side) seem fine, there are cables going to them, but nothing !!!! is there a relay I'm missing , all fuses seems fine, don't know which one it is so check ALL of them!

Any help would be great!

I've installed aftermarket front fogs if that makes a difference!

Thanks all

Conor

Hi

I had the same MOT fail a couple of years ago but very quickly traced it to a loose connection on the towbar socket.

Have you got towbar electricals fitted?

Hi

I had the same MOT fail a couple of years ago but very quickly traced it to a loose connection on the towbar socket.

Have you got towbar electricals fitted?

No!!!!, if I did my mum would have me towing horses around the country!!!! LOL

Anything else?

C

My lhs rear fog wasn't working last week and it was the connector mentioned above, tucked up inside the rear bumper. I disconnected, cleaned it up and reconnected and it came back on. (and has been fine since)

Hope yours is that simple!

Dave

(no towbar on mine either but there are other connectors!)

My lhs rear fog wasn't working last week and it was the connector mentioned above, tucked up inside the rear bumper. I disconnected, cleaned it up and reconnected and it came back on. (and has been fine since)

Dave

Thanks all, kinda silly that it's soooo exposed isn't it,

Dave

When u say cleaned it up, u using anything special ?

C

Dave

Thanks all, kinda silly that it's soooo exposed isn't it,

Dave

C

When u say cleaned it up, u using anything special ?

If you give it a good wash out with WD40 or something similar and then push the connector in then pull it out ( repeat perhaps 6 times ) you will probably clean it enough to make it work again. The connectors used by Toyota ( at least on my 4.3 ) are very good and seem totally waterproof, they even have seals in them so it should be a problem that recurs very often. Just make absolutely sure that the connector clicks into place when you finally connect it up. :thumbsup: Good luck - come back if it doesn't work.

I didn't use anything like wd40, i just gave it a poke with a paint brush to get any dirt out. It may have been just a poor connection and just making sure it's plugged in properly may have done the trick.

Dave

if it was just a dodgy connector the tell tail would still light up on the dash also if both bulbs had went the tell tail would still light up...

you say it doesnt which means its a fuse or worse

OK, sooo,

Orange rear fog light symbol lit on display. When I turn the rear fogs on/off there is a clicking from the relay.

Used a brush to clean -Not working

Reseated all fuses - Not working

Check voltage across the 2 pins on the rear connector and nothing.

If the relay was bust would:

1 It still click?

2 Would the dash symbol still light?

3 It's the top relay that seems to make the noise, is this the correct relay?

The 10A RR fog fuse is fine

Anything else?

Thanks all

C

Decided to see if I can get the lights to turn on with the "Switch" on the indicator stalk. Will go probing with the meter, any one have any idea how I do it? A link perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Hmmm - I have the same problem. I had a third-party towbar fitted just after taking delivery of the vehicle in March 2010. On the occasion of the RAVs third service in March 2011, I was informed that the rear fogs were not working - the Toyota dealer suggested that the towbar installer (whom I've used for 20+ years without problem on a variety of vehicles) had forgotten to wire up the rear fogs: I recall the towbar fitter telling me at the time of installation that it would be nigh on impossible to wire up the towboard/bar rear fog due to some access issues, which was OK with me. I'm 99% certain that the rear fogs on the car were working after the towbar and electrics were fitted - in any case, there was apparently not a problem at the first and second services...

My 'symptoms' are otherwise similar: dash warning light for rear fogs illuminates, all fuses and relays fully functional. I'm at the stage now where the towbar fitters and Toyota are 'in discussion' - the fitters are saying they don't go anywhere near the rear fog lights, Toyota say 'you've cut into the multiplex wiring' - in the latter case, the rear fogs would never have worked and I'm sure that they did. Neither light works so I'm not suspecting a 'connector' issue - I'd be interested to hear the resolution of the problem - or not! Simon.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Just had similar problem on my 2010 Rav4 rear fogs totally dead. bulbs, fuse, dash light all ok. Found connector under bumper on passenger side had disconnected, reconnected and now work perfectly.

• 10 months later...

Thank you guys for your input here. I found it very useful. I decided to attack the rear fog light lamp that haven´t been working since I got my Rav4.2. Guys mentioned the connectors sitting behind the right tail light. I discovered my car had a orginal Toyota towbar loom installed that had been cut when the towbar was unmounted by the previous owner. I followed up on the wiring for the tail lamp, in the door and all the way to the loom behind the right tail light. (red with gray dots and white with black line "earth") I then found the tail light lamp had a either blue or gray wire wired to the power socket and one going back to the fog lamp. I bought a orginal Toyota towbar recently which is why I have a picture of the wiring to the power socket.  I cleaned it out later. On the 1 picture you can see the blue and the gray are connected. Perhaps this is to move the fog light from the car to the back of the trailer. Who knows. Any how, I put the blue and the gray together just to test, guess what rear fog light came back. Hope this helps... bit tricky...:-)

IMG_1349.png

IMG_1359.png

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2157.PNG

Hi, I used to fit towbars for a living for a few years. I am not sure about Toyota and it's warranty issues but I found this wiring diagram, not forgetting the socket will be wired in the opposite direction to the plug I thought this link might be of help, oh and not being rude in any way the socket picture you are showing is in a very poor rusty state and wants changing. Mike.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/wiring_guides_watling_towbars.html

• 1 year later...

How do you replace a broken offside rear fog light lens on a 2006 RAV4 XT3 2.2 diesel?

C2E70454-F3FD-4DD2-8847-F179DEDBD49A.jpeg