Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie! Just Bought G6 And Have A Few Questions!

Ben_G6

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and indeed new to Toyota! I just recently put a deposit on a 1999 Corolla G6 in Red as my second car!

Really pleased with it, should be picking it up in a few days :thumbsup:

If anyone has the time I have just a few questions..

First up when looking at the car I noticed that the airbag light was on.. The guys at the dealer said they would fix this before I pick it up. Can I ask if I should be too worried about this and what exactly they will do to fix it? I hear horror stories of people just taking out the bulb! :unsure:

Other than this and the odd minor scratch the car was in excellent condition with only 64000 miles and full service history!

Will get some pics up ASAP.

Also any other common Corolla things I should check out before I drive it away?

Secondly and this is no biggie - anyone know if I can still pick up a set of genuine mats from a Toyota dealer along with the chrome exhaust trim I believe these cars have as standard? (I like things to be perfect!)

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers Guys! :thumbsup:

Ben

the air bag light.....or SRS light as its known, is a common thing to light up.

the usual culprit is the connection under the passenger and drivers seats. they get knocked and the system throws a continuity error.....then the light appears. easily fixed by reseating the connection and clearing the fault code (not all need the code clearing, often reset themselves)

if its not the connection under the seat it could either be the pre tentioners on the seatbelts or an airbag itself. again connectors are main culprit, but from time to time one of the devices itself has a problem. they can be individually tested by a trained mechanic. (never ever pass a voltmeter or other types of electric reader on them...could end in tears)

cant honestly think of other issue on the g6......sure owners of that model rolla will let you know if there is.

good luck hunting the original mats and surround for hte car! my first port of call would be PartsKing on here! really helpful, works in a dealership and service/delivery is spot on)

Hi there,

Many thanks for the quick reply! So you reckon the dealer should know what to do? (seemed like a decent place!) Just dont want them to !Removed! around with some quick fix that makes things worse!

Ahh so you think I'll be wasting my time at Toyota? I got loads of original stuff for my '92 vauxhall from the dealers!

Here is a pic of my G6 btw:

IMG_0093.jpg

Oh yes and another question! Am I right in thinking these engines (1.3) have a timing chain rather than a cam belt? If so what is the recommended service interval for these?

Cheers!

Toyota are more than worth a shot! Just saying get hold of PartsKing as first port of call (toyota dealership parts chap!!!)

As long as they are reputable they should be upfront about the airbag issue. but the majority are due to connection problems. the only quick fixes are removing the light bulb or yanking the SRS fuse. (SRS = Supplementary Restraint System) unless im missing any other anyone cares to fill me in on? :)

car looks tidy! blue tint bulbs in the lights mind and are they non original alloys?! tsw arrow thingies? (either way, cant fault it on being straight as, and clean).

Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Well when I confirm with them what day I pick it up I'll enquire about the issue..

Yeah I think they maybe blue tinted bulbs, though didnt look blue when they were on.

The wheels appear to be standard - at least they have Toyota centres and are only 14's.

Here is a better pic - see what you think mate!

IMG_0097.jpg

:thumbsup:

Just to add, can anyone tell me FOR SURE whether or not, the airbag light should light up on start up on a 1999 Corolla and then obviously turn itself off as standard procedure?

If this is the case then I can at least make sure that the dealer has fixed the problem properly (ie not just removed a fuse or bulb) and the airbag system is working properly.. I'm abit of a worrier!!

Many thanks!

in all honesty i know very little about the std fit alloys on that shape corolla :) they could well be toyota ones, just looked tsw ish from the side. but as you say 14'' doesnt scream aftermarket!!!

honest opinions are, looks like a reet good buy (price depending!!) looks very well looked after. low mileage is cracking too. a little too big an arch gap for my personal tastes, but its not my car. either way, good choice squire!

theres a few g6 owners on here, they should be able to confirm the start up sequence on the srs for you. dont worry too much about the srs light though, if they have said they will sort it, they will. if its a concern, ask them to put in writing that the fault has been repaired to the correct manufacturers standards and settings and that they will warrant that repair for a set period 3/6/12 months. then if you subsequently find it isnt right, theyre bound by that statement to resolve it as said. :)

Looks in magnificent condition mate :thumbsup: .

With reference to the airbag light,it should light up with the ignition on then,when you start the car it should extinguish as you say :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info regarding airbag light!

I'm now picking this car up on Wednesday!! So excited! Will post some pics when I've got it and given it the AutoGlym treatment.

Went to Toyota today and they said the mats were long discontinued and no dealers had remaining stock :crybaby:

Any ideas?

Also does anyone know the Cambelt service interval on these? I'm going to get it done as soon as I get back as I'm not sure its been done at least recently...

And does anyone know if its a non interference engine? (ie the vales wont meet the pistons if the belt snaps!)?

PS phoned the garage and they said they fixed the air bag light. called in an auto electrician who cleared the fault apparently... :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Don't know how I managed to miss this thread of yours Ben - so this G6 does exist then! ;)

I'm not sure if those are standard G6 wheels or not. As they are dual spoke versions I think they may not be but were probably a dealer option at the time.

The car looks in very good condition, nice purchase there mate and will last you for many years I'm sure.

I'm sure you've already found out but the cambelt frequency is every 60k miles from recollection...