Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius V Golf Estate

Sweens

At the end of 2009, I had to make a choice between a Golf Estate and a Prius. After much soul searching I went for the VW. 14 months later, I have changed to a Prius III T Spirit and, 3 days into ownership, I couldn't be happier with it.

I just thought I'd share some thoughts on how the 2 compare, in case anybody else is facing the same dilemma!

My Golf Estate was a Mark VI 2.0 TDI 140bhp Sportline, ex demonstrator with lots of extra kit (satnav, leather, panoramic sunroof etc). Don't get me wrong, it was a good car but, in my opinion, the Prius is better for me.

My Prius is also an ex-demo, and it has a good spec, with leather, LED technology pack, protection pack and style pack. So how do they compare, and why do I prefer the Prius?

Economy

In the Golf, I averaged an indicated 52 mpg, which I thought was comparatively good, although I'm quite a laid back driver anyway. I've driven around 200 miles so far in the Prius and my indicated mpg is 59. So far so good! Added to lower insurance and road tax, it certainly makes financial sense.

Comfort

Both cars are very comfortable, but the Prius edges it for me. The seats are very supportive for my dodgy back. I also find it easier to get in and out, partly because the seats are slightly higher than in the Golf. I think both cars can be recommended in terms of comfort for long journeys. Comfort in the rear is definitely better in the Prius, with more leg room than the Golf, and a flatter floor.

Refinement

I was most worried about this aspect, but my fears were unfounded. Road noise is slightly more intrusive than in the Golf but not so much that it is a problem. It is offset by the much quieter drive. I find the Rius much, much more relaxing to drive.

Performance

The Golf was slightly quicker, with more low down grunt, but the Prius doesn't feel slow. I've only used power mode once, to try it out. The rest of the time I've stayed in Normal or Eco mode. Eco mode was fine on the motorway today. (Although it was the M6 on a Friday. Perhaps I would have got away with EV mode! :eek:

Family suitability

My wife and I have a 5 year old boy and 2 spaniels. I think the Prius will be just as practical as the Golf, although the boot is slightly smaller. The seats fold flat much more easily and there is ample space for us all. I made the mistake of telling my little boy about the power mode and he calls it the "Nitro Blast". Who knew I could be a cool Dad by buying a Prius?! Although I've got the boot liner, I dread the first shake by a muddy dog all over the light coloured boot upholstery!

Audio/Satnav

I really like the satnav compared to the much lauded VW version. Firstly, because it has full UK postcode search, which the VW doesn't. The screen is at least as good as the VW and the HUD directions are fantastic. Big thumbs up for the Prius.

The audio is also good. OK, the FM reception seems a bit more crackly than the VW, but the phone bluetooth (with an iPhone 4 - told you I was a cool Dad!) works perfectly. I think the bluetooth music streaming works and sounds better than the VW MDI system. And I can still skip tracks using the steering wheel controls, which is great for when the Bee Gees turn up on shuffle.

Kit

I lost out on the panoramic sunroof and heated seats when I changed from the Golf, both of which I loved. But this is made up for by the reversing camera, HUD, the fact that it's an "automatic", the information display and the design. The Prius looks much more stylish inside, against the safe conservatism of the Golf.

So, overall, I'm delighted with the Prius and I now know it was the choice I should have made 14 months ago. Still, better late than never?!

The Prius is a big hit with all the children on the school run and their friends, they think it looks like a spaceship on the inside with all those screens.

Just wait until you show him the hands free parking trick :-)

Glad you like the Prius.

As doesn't says, the Prius is a great hit with Kids too, the screen, the reversing camera and the auto parking seem to make my 2 8 year old grandsons swoon!! And one of them insists I use the PWR mode whenever he sees a golf next to us! (his dad has a a golf)

enjoy the car, i'm sure you won't regret the purchase :thumbsup:

Was your Golf an automatic? You didn't mention if it was or not. Although by your last comment I guess it wasn't? I find when someone tells me their diesel whatever gets the same sort of mpg the Prius gets, they are talking about a manual diesel. They usually go quiet when i ask if their diesel is automatic and tell them my prius is.

No it was a manual. One of the main attractions of the prius fir me was the 'automatic' gearbox. Much smoother and far easier in stop start traffic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links