Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs/vsc Warning Light

Master

Ok ive just bought a second hand Mk5 Rav4 its in near perfect condition, however. When i drive down a normal road thats going down hill even only a slight small hill a warning light appears saying 'Check ABS, Check Brakes, Check VSC' but if you pull over and restart the car the initial checks that it runs doesnt say anything it only happens every couple of weeks but its getting more frequent. Any form of help or recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards George Clapp

Welcome to the club George.

Dead common problem - EGR valve is sticking. You will find the instructions on how to clean it pinned at the top of the RAV page :thumbsup:

one question though if its these warnings that appear 'Check ABS, Check Brakes, Check VSC'and the EGR valve is to do with exhaust gasses and recycling of air in to the intake how does this affect the brakes or ABS?

It's a good question, but it does happen like this. I can only think that when the fault occurs the EMS is so busy that it misses it's regular updates from the other ECUs on the CAN bus (possibly).

If it is braking system related, you need to get the fault codes out. You need to get the fault codes out anyway. Powertrain ones can be done with an OBD reader. Others can be done. See this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119158

We generally refer to your model as a 4.3.

as u can probably guess im a novice when it comes to this lol, so basicaly because the EMS is loaded with other data from the ECU it forgets to send the data about the EGR when it reaches the CAN bus, is that right?? lol

Its a bit like a Pussycatdolls song - be careful what you ask for cos you just might get it and you are dangerously close to an shcm in depth answer. Just clean the valve :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Have the same problem on my RAV4 VVTI 2006. Is the solution the same as for the D4D above (clean the EGR valve)?

Have the same problem on my RAV4 VVTI 2006. Is the solution the same as for the D4D above (clean the EGR valve)?

I disagree with my esteemed colleagues above. If there was a problem with the EGR valve, then the check engine message would appear. When only the ABS, Brake, and VSC messages appear, that indicates a problem with either the ABS system or anti-skid ECU. The procedure to read the error codes using a simple jumper wire can be found here:

Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained

Error codes are always the best bet but I had one here one day with the EGR stuck open about 6mm. It had no power and no codes/warning lights either.

I know from personal experience that you get "check abs , vsc ... " warning lights when a EGR , boost pressure fault occurs...

I know from personal experience that you get "check abs , vsc ... " warning lights when a EGR , boost pressure fault occurs...

Maybe but Check VSC, ABS and Brakes can also be the brakelight switch.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136908&st=0

• 4 months later...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140011&hl=%2Brav+%2B4.3+%2Bbrake+%2Blight+%2Bswitch

Follow the link above. The EGR Fault is a red herring. The actual cause of fault code C1249 is open circuit in the brake light switch. Using the short link between pins 3 & 14 (i think) allows me to read error code from dash (RAV 4.3) Code 49.

Contact (PM) Parts King (Kingo)for a quote on this site. All details in the above link from more knowledgeable guys than me!

Phil.

My Check abs/vsc comes on every now and then. Last time it came on I did a test and left it a few days. Yes it kept coming on every time i switched on. I tapped the brake switch by the brake pedal a few times and low and behold, the light didnt come back on

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no super moderator however, just changed my brake light switch & my RAV 4.3 is fixed of this fault.

My replacement part came from a clearance house in UK (eBay special) which is 100% better than the plastic crap fitted by Toyota (probably cost a fifth of the price of the original & that includes the P&P to Bulgaria).

Many thanks to James (junebug1701) for stepping in with the correct fault finding advice & Bezzer whose repair instructions worked a treat.