Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Common Faults On Toyota Avensis 2.2 D T3 X D-4D

powcomnaj

Hi,

i'm buying a 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D T3 X D-4D with 99000 miles on the clock, are there any common faults to look out for??

Hi,

i'm buying a 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D T3 X D-4D with 99000 miles on the clock, are there any common faults to look out for??

Noisy injectors (rattling), misted up headlights, corroded/noisy discs which at 99k miles have been changed at least twice anyway. Great car...enjoy and welcome t'cloob.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Of all the Avensis sadly you just have bought the worst ,, im sorry to say ,,,, just trawl the forums and you will see why ,,, i have one ,, 45k head gasket gone ,,, 50 k injectors went ,, misty windows ,, air con dosent work properly ,, squeaky dash ,, shocks gone ,, eats the tyres like mad ,, now the head gasket has gone again and its out of warranty ,, big bucks !!!!,, im not trying to scare you am just answering your question , so watch out for any signs of coolant loss ,,,, if the heating suddenly goes cold it means you have no coolant ,, if you replace it and it goes again you have problem ,, big problem ,, make sure before you buy it there are no signs of oil in the coolant bottle ,, also white spots of condensation on the engine cover is a sure sign ,, i told the forum about this years ago and was told of and my posts where deleted ,, now everyone knows about the dreaded 2.2 and there head gasket ,,, but fingers crossed yours will be fine ,,, mine is a 2,2 d4d t3x 2006

bear in mind that irishjay appears to have a lemon & most people have nothing like the complaints that he does.

The potential biggy is the head gasket problem on the 2.2 - just how big a problem it is only Toyota know for sure but I suspect it maybe something like 1 in 20 cars as it's common enough for all the dealers to be aware of it & Toyota to apparently have a policy regarding it but not big enough for them to recall & replace them all.

The problem with modern high pressure diesels (& as true of Ford, Vauxhall, VW etc. etc.) is that with turbos, high pressure injectors etc. when they go wrong they go wrong expensively. If they aren't under warranty the extra cost of fixing them may well negate all your fuel/road tax savings of a diesel over petrol.

As a 2008 car yours would either still be under warranty or if under 100,000 miles at start eligible for Toyota's extended warranty.

Tyre wear for me doesn't seem any worse than any other similarly sized & shod fwd.

As standard the headlights are pretty poor but upgraded bulbs will make a big difference to the area within the beam pattern.

Brakes aren't that great either - very little feel. Again all modern cars go through discs/pads more than older cars - it's due to the change to non-asbestos pads & a different style of caliper.

A few of us are trying different disks & pads atm to see if there is an improvement.

I have a '06 2.2D4D T3S. coming up on 70k. Had an EGR replaced (but probably could have stripped and cleaned it had I been on this forum then...) Also had 1 new Battery that I paid for, 2 under warranty. The final Battery was killed by the dodgy starter motor which I suspect killed the other batteries. 1st set of tyres on the front only lasted 9k miles but I drove it like a prat so no surprises. This full set of tyres is still going after more than 25k miles. Happy days! Great fuel consumption comfort etc. Drive it like the big heavy car it is and it should go well. Drive it like a prat & your garage will love you. I get discount...what does that say about me? No valentines card from them this year though. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi,Ive just bought a Toyota avensis 2.2 D4D 2007 with 105000miles on it I am going to use it for a taxi should i expext any major problems if do is there anything i can do to avoid running into problems?

,, also white spots of condensation on the engine cover is a sure sign ,

Would you give more details about this. How spots look and what area on engine cover? Condensation means just winter time?

this thread may help.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/105938-definitive-22-d4d-head-gasket-stance-by-toyota/

pay attention to post number 5 by Pete.

it may be best to ring your local Toyota garage or the Toyota garage where the car was serviced previous to your ownership to see if any warranty work has been done.

there are plenty of threads on this topic. use the search bar on the top for headgasket. :)

post-125194-0-34658600-1398073921_thumb.

bear in mind though that that thread started in 2010 so a lot of the info/stance has been modified since then.

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I'm about to look at at a 56 plate Avensis D4d, I assume any still running will be pretty much immune from the issue now?