Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking Brake Shoes

dohertydeano

My car was making grinding sounds when i braked so i though the brake shoes where done, i got new ones and went to change them but the old ones where fine. I figured the drums are getting pritty worn so that what making the sound.

So here is a demonstratoin on how i got my drums of and cleaned up a bit.

Tools and parts;

jack

axil stand

ratchet set

torque wrench

wire bruse

clean rags

screw drivers

sorf face mallet

If your changing the shoes you'll also need

copper greas

brake and clutch cleaner in a spray can

Pliers

Lossen your back wheels first while there still on the ground. Chock the front wheels so the car cannot move and release the hand brake. Then jack the car up and place on axil stands. Take the wheels of and then start work on one drum at a time, this way if you get mixed up or lost you can look at the other drum to see how things go back together.

SSL28789.jpg

My wheels where pritty stiff so just give them a good kick to get them of, if they are till rely stiff like mine where spray some wd-40 on to face of the drum and let it work it way in for a few minutes then give it a good kick.

SSL28790.jpg

Next you need to take the cap of that protects the hub nut. Use a small screw driver and a mallet to get it waged out, then use a bigger screw driver to wage it og.

SSL28791.jpg

The hub nut is just sitting on and not overly tight, it has a locking bracket and pick holding in the nut in place. Unbend the pin and pull it out with some pliers. Prize out the locking bracket then unscrew the nub nut and take out the washer at the back. Place all these parts on a clean surface to keep them safe.

SSL28793.jpg

The drum should then be able to pull of. If it is still stiff give it a cople of blows with a soft mallet.

If the drum will still not come of the shoes may be holding the drum back. In this case you have to manualy retracket the shoes by turning the auto ajuster wheel inside the drum.

At the back there is a rubber cover with covers a hole to let you get acess to this wheel with out taking of the drum.

Using two screw drivers, use one to lift the adduster and the other to spin the wheel and loosen of the shoes. Your trying to rotate the wheel agenst the teeth, this is why you need to lift the adjuster first as this lets the wheel turn only one way, you want to turn it the other way.

The picture below shows the wheel and adjuster, the blue arrow shows the hole through the back and the red shows the wheel, inbetween the red and blue arrow you can see the adjuster.

SSL28792.jpg

Once you have it backed of, try to pull the drum of again, be carful when taking the drum of not to damage the small thrust bearing, its just sitting in so dont let it drop of the dirty ground.

SSL28794.jpg

Now you can see your shoes and there state, like i said mine where fine so i didnt change them.

I had to give the drum a good going over with the wire brush to get it cleaned up, inside and out. This got rid of some of the grinding sound but i think ill have to just change the drums some day.

SSL28795.jpg

SSL28796.jpg

If you going to change your shoes take plenty of picture of them so you can be shure how they go back together.

Retrackt the adjuster wheel all the way back then take of the two holding springs on the face of each shoe, you should be able to pull out the shoes then bu tbe carful of that big tention bar. I didnt take mine of so you may need to look up exactly how to take the shoes of.

I gave the inside of mine a blast air incase there was anything inside like grit or a stone. BE CAREFUL THOUGH the dust from the shoes is extreamly dangeres if inhaled to put on a dust mask.

once you have your shoes back on, put the drum on and put all the hub nut parts back in, dont over tighten the nut as it will restrict the wheel from turning. Make shure you put the nut locking plate and pin back on.

Now you have to turn the adjuster wheel again to get the shoes nice and close to the drum again, other wise there will be a lot of play in your hand brake and foot brake. spin wheel and start to turn the wheel with a screw driver through the same hole in the back of the drum.

once you hear the shoes start to rub of the drum as you rotate the wheel, your all set.

do the same for the other wheel.

Once finished tightne the wheel bolts to 103 N/M.

Remember that your working with the braking sysetm so becareful and if your unshure about it get a mechanic to fix it.

This is just a brief demintration and not a diffinitive guide, i accept no repociblity for others work.

• Like 1