Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Petrol Slight Hunt At Idle, Fuel Consumption Concerns.

AvensisT22

1999 3S-FE Avensis.

Just had new Inlet Manifold Gasket and Fuel Injector Insulators, O-Rings etc... No Vacuum leaks.... All Vacuum pipes replaced with braided rubber hose... Although I followed a US 3S-FE guide to hook up the lines to the two switching valves, EGR solenoid, EGR and Charcoal canister... I assume they're right as there is no EML light, lots of power! and the fuel tank becomes pressurised i.e a strong hiss when the petrol cap is opened.

The fuel guage seems a little erratic, can lose as much as 1/4 tank and the fuel light will come on before slowly rising most often 1/8 tank...

Seems to do roughly 50 miles from £10 1/4 tank @129.9p Unleaded before the fuel light comes on just above the empty.

10 litres seemed to do me around 80 miles... I've been driving carefully, dual carriageway and town.

I know the 3S-FE has a lot of torque it drives more like a TD than a Petrol, but there seems to be an awful difference between power and coasting, by this I mean there seems to be a noticable amount of engine breaking as if the engine smooth then catches quite harshly, when I remove my foot from the accelerator pedal... more so than any other car I've driven and there have been lots.

The car seems to hunt by 100-300 revs every few seconds, when cold or hot... and when hot the idle seems a tad low at around 600rpm... 900rpm with the A/C on.

I'm certain there are no vaccum leaks no... there has been brake cleaner everywhere, around the new gaskets and insulators which where installed with cv grease to aid installation and achieve a better seal.

Petrol injectors were nice and clean and I've just run redex through...

Starts perfectly, just serviced fully... although the coolant was drained, maybe air.. could this explain the slight hunt? I've heard something about in the coolant pipes to the throttle body.

Any suggestions folks. Many Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links